Upgrades for 18’ Hatch Sport Touring CVT

CivicPR0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring CVT
Country flag
How's it going? I’m looking to do 2-3 more upgrades in the next few months and could use some advice/suggestions. This is my daily driver. I appreciate it in advanced.

Currently, I have the KTuner v2 using the Dual Tune and also have the GReddy Supreme SP Exhaust. Since flashing with KTuner a few weeks ago, I have been blown away by the difference. That alone is enough but now I want to keep modding

I am getting some 19x8.5 45mm wheels with new tires next and I am looking at a Intercooler and possibly Downpipe and/or CVT Cooler if recommended.

What are your suggestions as far as Intercooler for the CVT: PRL Full Kit vs Mishimoto Full Kit vs Mishimoto (Only the Intercooler, no pipes)?

Downpipe: PRL vs others: Catless vs Catted?

Im not looking for too much noise added with the Downpipe. Mainly overall just improving the vehicles performance. I have the KTuner so I know I can remove the check engine lights but is there a DP out there that doesn’t present an error?

The CVT Cooler by PRL. Is that also worth an upgrade on the CVT? In what order would you recommended getting these upgrades?

I assume I would be voiding warranty’s as well with some of these things. Someone suggested getting maintenance done not by Honda and just keeping records that way they wont see what I would have modified.

Im keeping this car for the longhaul. Would any of these upgrades, lower the life of the car or improve?

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks
Sponsored

bdsport

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How's it going? I’m looking to do 2-3 more upgrades in the next few months and could use some advice/suggestions. This is my daily driver. I appreciate it in advanced.

Currently, I have the KTuner v2 using the Dual Tune and also have the GReddy Supreme SP Exhaust. Since flashing with KTuner a few weeks ago, I have been blown away by the difference. That alone is enough but now I want to keep modding

I am getting some 19x8.5 45mm wheels with new tires next and I am looking at a Intercooler and possibly Downpipe and/or CVT Cooler if recommended.

What are your suggestions as far as Intercooler for the CVT: PRL Full Kit vs Mishimoto Full Kit vs Mishimoto (Only the Intercooler, no pipes)?

Im not looking for too much noise added with the Downpipe. Mainly overall just improving the vehicles performance. I have the KTuner so I know I can remove the check engine lights but is there a DP out there that doesn’t present an error?

The CVT Cooler by PRL. Is that also worth an upgrade on the CVT? In what order would you recommended getting these upgrades?

I assume I would be voiding warranty’s as well with some of these things. Someone suggested getting maintenance done not by Honda and just keeping records that way they wont see what I would have modified.

Im keeping this car for the longhaul. Would any of these upgrades, lower the life of the car or improve?

Howdy, glad you're enjoying the car so far! I also have a CVT Sport Hatch and currently am running a couple power mods and might be able to give you some insight.

As for the CVT cooler unless you're tracking the car hard you wont need it (or if you're really trying to push "high power" aka 260ish hp, 280 torque). I'm running an RV6 catted downpipe and off the bat saw about 10-15hp gains, similar can go for the catless version. Can't really tell you how the PRL will be but the RV6 has a ceramic coat option and that's what sold me. BIG WARNING: be prepared to replace the studs that hold the turbo and downpipe together. They are notorious for snapping, 1 of mine snapped and they're super difficult to drill out and rethread, even on low mile cars (under 1k miles).

As for intercooler you're in the right mindset with the higher quality pieces. From my understanding the PRL slightly edges out the Mishimoto but I've had a few Mishimoto pieces on other cars as well and they are always high quality and provided installation videos.

More power will always result in items wearing out quicker but KTuner and PRL do extensive testing with CVT models and have proven them to be quite reliable (60,000+ miles). If any other members know more about these products please correct me in the replies or fill in any missing or incorrect info I provided!

Last edited:

MrMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag

How much more psi are you running on the Ktuner? +6 or +9? Any slippage on your CVT? I want to get a Ktuner once my warranty is over & I hear when it comes to CVT Ktuner has the best calibrations in the market for us CVT owners.

ocbooger

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cold air intake... I'm personally using the PRL Cobra CAI street version, upgrading to the Race version soon. Slight bump in HP and sounds great. Quite a few different CAI available so you have options. KTuner does support the PRL Race one.
I plan on going PRL FP/DP combo, not sure on cat or catless yet. Still on stock exhaust and am curious to see how those affect the sound before I go exhaust. Youtube has some videos of Greddy exhaust with different DP's, I would look there to see what works for you.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
How much more psi are you running on the Ktuner? +6 or +9? Any slippage on your CVT? I want to get a Ktuner once my warranty is over & I hear when it comes to CVT Ktuner has the best calibrations in the market for us CVT owners.
MrMonkey...

There is no plus 9 for the CVT. Ktuner's base CVT tunes max out at 21psi. And honestly, it's a big difference over stock.

Also, why wait til your warranty is over? Running the base Ktuner tunes have proven to be safe. You're missing out on the best peeformance mod available.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ktuner doesnt do the +3 +6 +9 they do 16.5 18 21 for the cvt so you actually hit a boost number and no just adding 6 psi to whatever stock you get, usually around 12-13 psi. Ive ran both hondata and Ktuner on my cvt and I really liked the feel of the ktuner base maps much better. The throttle response and cvt response is much smoother and quicker on the Ktuner. No need to wait for your Ktuner either, you can just flash stock and take the car in for any service or warranty work and youll be fine.

MrMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Ktuner doesnt do the +3 +6 +9 they do 16.5 18 21 for the cvt so you actually hit a boost number and no just adding 6 psi to whatever stock you get, usually around 12-13 psi. Ive ran both hondata and Ktuner on my cvt and I really liked the feel of the ktuner base maps much better. The throttle response and cvt response is much smoother and quicker on the Ktuner. No need to wait for your Ktuner either, you can just flash stock and take the car in for any service or warranty work and youll be fine.
Which one do you recommend? The regular $449 or the V2 $649? I'm not planning on doing anything crazy, just want a little more power & fun since it's my daily.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Which one do you recommend? The regular $449 or the V2 $649? I'm not planning on doing anything crazy, just want a little more power & fun since it's my daily.
They both do the same thing with the tunes, the v2 would allow you to lock the tuner to the ECU without a laptop, clear codes directly from the unit and has the touchscreen for gauge displays. Other than that they are the same. I have the v2 but I also hacked my head unit so I have tunerview on that. I probably would have got the v1.2 if they had the tunerview hack at the time I bought my tuner. But I love my v2.

Honda Civic 10th gen Upgrades for 18’ Hatch Sport Touring CVT IMG_3666

OP
OP
CivicPR0

CivicPR0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring CVT
Country flag
Thanks for the all the info and suggestions. I decided to order Performance upgrades first and then some new Wheels maybe in Spring. I went ahead and ordered an RV6 Ceramic Coated Catted Downpipe. Now, I'm going to order the Mishimoto Intercooler but I haven't decided if just the Intercooler for now or with the pipes. Any suggestions on an Air Intake? I really like how the 27Won CAI looks and it has good reviews but I'm also not looking to loose any power or make it worse than stock.

After all this my Civic will have:

-KTuner Dual Tune
-GReddy Supreme SP Exhaust
-RV6 Ceramic Coated Catted Downpipe (Ordered)
-Mishimoto Intercooler
-Undecided Air Intake

I appreciate all the info and suggestions. Thanks

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the all the info and suggestions. I decided to order Performance upgrades first and then some new Wheels maybe in Spring. I went ahead and ordered an RV6 Ceramic Coated Catted Downpipe. Now, I'm going to order the Mishimoto Intercooler but I haven't decided if just the Intercooler for now or with the pipes. Any suggestions on an Air Intake? I really like how the 27Won CAI looks and it has good reviews but I'm also not looking to loose any power or make it worse than stock.

-KTuner Dual Tune
-Mishimoto Intercooler
-Undecided Air Intake

A few things, if you're getting the Intercooler, get the pipes. You want to flow that air better. I would recommend the PRL kit as its going to be as good or better and is less money (unless money doesnt matter to you) The 27Won intake looks really good but doesn't lower IATs like the PRL Cobra but its not worse than stock either and the Cobra has 9-14 hp proven gains. I

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag

-KTuner Dual Tune
-Mishimoto Intercooler
-Undecided Air Intake

Since you are deciding to go with the Mishmoto IC - you are at a crossroads in your "charge pipe/hose" choices. You can either get the Mishimoto full kit OR obtain the PRL Charge Pipe/Hose Upgrade kit. The stock hoses are only 1ply and I'm certain you would run the 21psi Base Map. Since you are on the stock turbo, the larger diameter pipes would only net you a HP or 2, but your Post IAT will be the same. Mishimoto claims only a "-1psi Pressure Loss" with their IC as opposed to stock - which won't have a negative effect..

Note:
By fitting an aftermarket DP, gains will be negligible; as the ECU is controlling the WG.
With the a 21psi Base Map and Upgraded IC you will have all you need for a CVT model - along with cool IAT2 and consistant power.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CivicPR0

CivicPR0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring CVT
Country flag
Since you are deciding to go with the Mishmoto IC - you are at a crossroads in your "charge pipe/hose" choices. You can either get the Mishimoto full kit OR obtain the PRL Charge Pipe/Hose Upgrade kit. The stock hoses are only 1ply and I'm certain you would run the 21psi Base Map. Since you are on the stock turbo, the larger diameter pipes would only net you a HP or 2, but your Post IAT will be the same. Mishimoto claims only a "-1psi Pressure Loss" with their IC as opposed to stock - which is negligible.

Note:
By fitting an aftermarket DP, you will be obtaining a sharper power bite.
This is additional shock on the CVT.
Don't know of anyone testing this for long term at this point?
With the Software and IC you will have ample power readily available.
Im currently trying to decide on the 27Won and aFe Takeda Air Intakes.I can not find that many reviews on them but the ones that I have found are positive for the most part. I understand the PRL CAI is the best and most recommended but I am on the fence about it due to the constant rain, and puddles I drive through. I don't want to worry about that. I guess the Mishimoto one is also an option but if all 3 provide similar specs, the next thing i'm looking for in it is fitment with the Intercooler and how it looks.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
CivicPR0
I hear ya loud and clear about fitament. I'm certain you have been roaming around trying to get the information you need.
As for me, it was as simple as a drop-in high flow filter using the stock box. That's +30% more efficiency and plenty of air (regardless) for the stock turbo.

Curious question:
With the Catted DP, wouldn't you require a "custom" tune? Or is the tuner adaptive?

OP
OP
CivicPR0

CivicPR0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring CVT
Country flag
CivicPR0
I hear ya loud and clear about fitament. I'm certain you have been roaming around trying to get the information you need.
As for me, it was as simple as a drop-in high flow filter using the stock box. That's +30% more efficiency and plenty of air (regardless) for the stock turbo.

Curious question:
With the Catted DP, wouldn't you require a "custom" tune? Or is the tuner adaptive?
I asked them and was told the KTuner base tunes will work just fine with those type of Bolt-on upgrades and no need to modify them.

OP
OP
CivicPR0

CivicPR0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring CVT
Country flag