Upgraded Engine grounds

rajahdat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 nevermind
Country flag
A simple upgrade for the CTR ground wires. 3 Raychem heat shrank grounds. 1 engine, 1 transmission, and 1 battery ground replacement.

Installation is straight forward and there are no instructions. With simple tools, you can do this at home with time and patience.

Battery replacement is straight forward. The other 2 grounds require removal of other parts to gain access to its respected areas.

Overall quality 10 out of 10, as Eli supplies the HPD team with replacement grounds.
Pricing is $75 for the Raychem set. There are cheaper options but I can’t quote the prices as they may have changed.

Contact Eli in the NA owners’ group should you be interested in purchasing a set.
As for performance, minuscule only to electrical components. It does provide a better ground without a doubt and overall if you plan to keep your “R” long-term it’s a good upgrade to look into. The stock grounds are made with production in mind meaning in time they may become brittle with time.
Sponsored

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
I have to ask why? Are they visible in the CTR and just wanted to spice up the engine bay? Because they certainly offer no performance gain before we try that argument.

OP
OP
rajahdat

rajahdat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 nevermind
Country flag
I have to ask why? Are they visible in the CTR and just wanted to spice up the engine bay? Because they certainly offer no performance gain before we try that argument.
A better path of least resistance improves majority of electrical components. As for being visible no, I'm not a "show guy" but must be something of a improvement if HPD uses it o_O

aytaka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
A better path of least resistance improves majority of electrical components. As for being visible no, I'm not a "show guy" but must be something of a improvement if HPD uses it o_O
I mean a ground is a ground, it's not like these components aren't already grounded. You aren't going to see any improvements to your electrical components with this.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Link to HFP using them or info about that?

OP
OP
rajahdat

rajahdat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 nevermind
Country flag
I mean a ground is a ground, it's not like these components aren't already grounded. You aren't going to see any improvements to your electrical components with this.
I just posted a review of a simple item, If you take into account what you just said then why do people use gold connectors, larger wire or oxygen free wire for high-end stereo systems? Is all wire created equally no, this is a simple upgrade for long term use.

In the 90s it was proven using oxygen free wire in imports to improve the electrical path and more surprisingly it gave additional HP... NOW HELL NO am I saying this will give you power. Honda factory grounds kinda suck why I changed them.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just posted a review of a simple item, If you take into account what you just said then why do people use gold connectors, larger wire or oxygen free wire for high-end stereo systems? Is all wire created equally no, this is a simple upgrade for long term use.

In the 90s it was proven using oxygen free wire in imports to improve the electrical path and more surprisingly it gave additional HP... NOW HELL NO am I saying this will give you power. Honda factory grounds kinda suck why I changed them.
I'm genuinely interested if HFP was using them for some reason I'd be curious to see or find out why.

OP
OP
rajahdat

rajahdat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 nevermind
Country flag

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So a team of Honda employees racing a car got the grounding kit. I was expecting an actual Honda backed team. I just can’t be sold on the idea without some real data

OP
OP
rajahdat

rajahdat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 nevermind
Country flag
So a team of Honda employees racing a car got the grounding kit. I was expecting an actual Honda backed team. I just can’t be sold on the idea without some real data
thanks for looking but it's not for you

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To each their own. Based on the length and gauge, you can quantify the difference between stock cables and aftermarket. They can fail, especially at the battery terminals if there's exposed conductor after many years of service and neglect. If it's green... that'd be copper sulfate... and guess where the copper is coming from?
cranking performance suffers before anything else, as you're pulling far more current than any other time operating. Corroding cables with less effective cross section and a less-conductive layer of copper sulfate between the clamp and terminal usually drives it... the voltage drop will be such you may not be able to crank the car anymore.

Early replacement without any issues or evidence of them degrading seems a little excessive but... it's your $$$. $75 seems a lot. Just generally, I've gotten many feet worth of multiple pieces of 2 gauge to do golf carts with (stock is 6) for well less than that. I've had to replace grounds in older cars and the few dollar replacements they sold at brick and mortar stores restored cranking performance for as long as I had them. I think those are either 4 or 6 gauge, and they have a variety of lengths.

It is a bit of a rare upgrade to do as a preventative so you might not get a lot of excitement but it certainly isn't hurting anything may provide some dividends some years from now. The EMNC in me gets it.

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
OP, pictures would probably help. But to each their own, so no hate from me.
I say this all the time. What's needed or not depends on the person with the car and the person with the wallet. Simple as that.
Now, getting a bit technical, from a personal standpoint, I've looked at and removed some of the ground wires while installing things and they're actually pretty stout. I'd say they're maybe around 18 gauge or maybe even 16. On top of that, the car is new, so i doubt you'll feel a significant improvement replacing new wires/connectors.
Besides all that, if you want to replace it, go for it. :thumbsup:

aytaka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag

That's fine, I wasn't in anyway trying to put your purchase down. Just providing clarity on the claims that this would somehow improve electrical performance which is false. The ground wires on your car's electrical system I doubt will be anywhere close to the first point of failure, but if you want to spend money to improve the connectors all the power to you man.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Is Eli the same guy that was trying to sell these same things home made back in 17 at the Rs release? No offence, but I think I rather trust Hondas millions in development of the car then so guys homemade wires. If its the same guy. if not disregard.

OP
OP
rajahdat

rajahdat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 nevermind
Country flag
Is Eli the same guy that was trying to sell these same things home made back in 17 at the Rs release? No offence, but I think I rather trust Hondas millions in development of the car then so guys homemade wires. If its the same guy. if not disregard.
You trust your transmission with that million dollar development??? I'm on my second on my way to the 3rd.
Sponsored