"Upgraded" Climate Control Install

Beater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 4Runner
Country flag
As soon as I realized the stock climate control unit lacked a physical fan speed knob (or buttons), I was skeptical that I would adjust to relying on using the touch screen (and hitting the "Climate" button each time) to change the fan speed. It's been 8+ months now and I still dislike not having a physical control for the fan speed.

As a result I ordered a climate control unit from a different model 2017 Civic in hopes that it would be plug and play. Other than swapping out the bezels and airbag status light, this "upgrade" is 100% plug and play. I went onto eBay, searched for "2017 Civic climate control unit," I browsed the listings until I found a unit that had both a fan speed knob along with my normal functions (heated seats, windshield defrosters, heated side mirrors, etc... The only "downside" to this swap, is that you will lose the dual climate control feature.

Top: Stock 2017 Civic Si climate control unit. Also, note the darker color trim.
Bottom: New climate control unit from a 2017 Civic.

Honda Civic 10th gen "Upgraded" Climate Control Install IMG_8074

Back of units:

Honda Civic 10th gen "Upgraded" Climate Control Install IMG_8075

Honda Civic 10th gen "Upgraded" Climate Control Install IMG_8076

First remove the airbag status light housing (2 screws). Then firmly tug off the 2 knobs, then remove the 4 outermost screws, which is whats holding the bezel to the unit itself. Swap the climate control unit with your bezel, airbag status light housing, and install back into your Civic.

Honda Civic 10th gen "Upgraded" Climate Control Install IMG_8077

Note that the right knob is now a fan speed knob:

Honda Civic 10th gen "Upgraded" Climate Control Install IMG_8080

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd love to do this, I hate not having a fan control knob. How does this effect the dual zone climate control? Does it now not work?

OP
OP
Beater

Beater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 4Runner
Country flag
I'd love to do this, I hate not having a fan control knob. How does this effect the dual zone climate control? Does it now not work?
That is a "downside" to doing this swap - you will lose the dual climate control feature. In my case this was not a big deal, as the majority of the time I spend commuting alone.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is a "downside" to doing this swap - you will lose the dual climate control feature. In my case this was not a big deal, as the majority of the time I spend commuting alone.

I am ok with loosing it as well, what I am wondering is if it got out of "sync" how would you fix it since there is no button?

OP
OP
Beater

Beater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 4Runner
Country flag
I am ok with loosing it as well, what I am wondering is if it got out of "sync" how would you fix it since there is no button?
Thatā€™s interesting - I totally forgot about it potentially gettting out of sync prior to the install. Since I rarely used the dual climate control, Iā€™m pretty sure it was swapped when it was off.

EDIT: I can confirm that the temperature for both passsenger and driver sides are working together as one. Love this ā€˜modā€™

Last edited:

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thatā€™s interesting - I totally forgot about it potentially gettting out of sync prior to the install. Since I rarely used the dual climate control, Iā€™m pretty sure it was swapped when it was off.

EDIT: I can confirm that the temperature for both passsenger and driver sides are working together as one. Love this ā€˜modā€™

Will you report back in a few weeks? I might be making this switch myself, I hate not having a physical fan knob.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I mean really, how many times are you actually using dual zone anyway? Probably very rarely if ever.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I mean really, how many times are you actually using dual zone anyway? Probably very rarely if ever.

I don't. What I am wondering is if the dual ever gets out of sync and needs to be resynced. What happens if the car battery dies? Would I have to reinstall the old unit to resync it?

OP
OP
Beater

Beater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 4Runner
Country flag
No issues so far. All functions work as intended and the temperature settings for both sides work together and never get out of that mode.

I canā€™t see a scenario where it gets confused (even if you disconnect the battery).

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
I wonder if it's like other cars/other systems where everything necessary for functionality is already there it's just missing the switch so it's the actual HVAC control that handles the job of differing both sides temps and with the new single zone controller there isn't even a chance for them to get out of sync... Looking at wiring diagrams could probably tell you but I'm not digging into that. I almost never adjust fan speed anyways I just hit auto and let it do its thing.

FLCL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Thanks for the info. Not having a fan speed knob has been bothering me since I bought my SI. Will be swapping mine out for an EX's next week.

1stAznBum

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Aegean Blue Si Sedan
Country flag
I want to do this swap too but that climate control unit seems to be hard to find at the moment. Googling the numbers on that sticker (79600TBAC411M1) doesn't show results except for a ebay listing which OP might have bought from. I believe the original part number for our units is: 79603-TBA-A61ZB.

I don't think US spec cars get that unit... I tried looking at 16/17 EX's and they don't have the heated seats functions. EX-T and higher trims get the same climate control units we have.

Looking at Canadian cars, it seems only LX trims get it and I think the part number is 79603-TBA-C41ZA.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I mean, technically, this is a climate control downgrade, since you are retaining the same technical function but losing dual climate control? :lol::lol:

1stAznBum

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Aegean Blue Si Sedan
Country flag
I mean, technically, this is a climate control downgrade, since you are retaining the same technical function but losing dual climate control? :lol::lol:
To each their own! :headbang: For me though I'd have no use in dual zone climate since it's usually only me in the car. You can't use auto mode with the AC defaulting to off (Toyota's can do it).

I'd prefer to be able to adjust fan speed with the knob rather than push the climate button, wait 2-3 seconds for the screen to load up and then tapping the fan speed.
Sponsored