Upgrade flywheel or stay stock?

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
So the time has come to upgrade the clutch in my Si. I've been running 23 psi for over 4k miles, and the clutch slip has gotten more significant. I'm thinking of going with the FX300.

My question is:

Should I also get the ClutchMasters flywheel, and get the dampened disc clutch?

OR

Keep the stock dual mass flywheel, and get the rigid disc clutch?

Which setup is better for a daily driver? My concern is that if the stock flywheel has been damaged in any way, I would rather upgrade than pay to resurface the stock one. But I don't know how aggressive the lightweight CM flywheel feels. On the other hand, a dampened clutch should feel smoother than a rigid one, right?

How likely is it that I would need to resurface the stock flywheel? And is the CM flywheel worth the sporty feel while still being livable as an everyday commuter?

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

CyberCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Not Civic specific but I ran an 8lb flywheel in my RSX for 8 years (stock was 16lbs). The NVH went up but so did the car's eagerness to rev up and down quicker. The RSX was throttle cabled with no clutch delay valve, unlike our 10th gen civics. With the Competition Clutch stage 1.5 clutch and pressure plate setup I loved it and could start on a hill no problem. It just took a little getting used to. My friends who drove my car would always stall because of the flywheel weight and clutch engagement point right off the floor are different than any stock setup on any car lol.

I personally recommend the lighter flywheel and a clutch that's stiffer than stock but not crazy like a 6 puck.

ycehcky

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I doubt you "damaged" the stock flywheel, because the clutch is the wear item. The stock flywheel will be more daily driving friendly due to the momentum. The lighter flywheel will be more fun for fun driving applications. Maybe find a happy medium, light but not super light flywheel with a "friendly" clutch. Generic example - Stage 2+ rather than stage 3 .

CyberCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
driving applications and daily driving can be synonymous. I never tracked or autocrossed the rsx but enjoyed spirited driving daily. I understand these 10th Gen civics dont like super light flywheels so perhaps the current options are still heavy enough to adsorb decent nvh compared to 7lbs.

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Mazda Cx-5, (RIP) '17 SGP Civic Hatch Ex
Country flag
I'm personally going with the fx350 with the stock flywheel setup... I previously had a lighten flywheel in one of my older hondas.. Although I light flywheel feels nice I didnt want to lose the drivability of the vehicle and have drivetrain noise. It's really up to you. It's one of those gain and lose situations and up to you which one you value more.

OP
OP

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
I used to have a 2000 Miata with a lightweight flywheel. It definitely made it feel more fun, and didn't really have much negative impact on daily driving. But that's a completely different car. Old naturally aspirated roadster. So I don't know how it feels on a modern fwd turbo car.

Chris3k2

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Why not the new spec clutches and their lightweight flywheel? There’s doesn’t throw a code like some of the others right?

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
I used to have a 2000 Miata with a lightweight flywheel. It definitely made it feel more fun, and didn't really have much negative impact on daily driving. But that's a completely different car. Old naturally aspirated roadster. So I don't know how it feels on a modern fwd turbo car.
Had a light flywheel on my impreza rs and loved it.. But I always thought you didn't want a lightweight flywheel on a turbo car because you want to keep revs up so you don't lose boost or something like that?

OP
OP

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
I always thought you didn't want a lightweight flywheel on a turbo car because you want to keep revs up so you don't lose boost or something like that?

I don't think it works like that haha. Otherwise people wouldn't disable rev hang. Lightweight flywheel lets you rev up quicker and presumably spool the turbo quicker as well. Though of course you have to shift faster to keep revs up just as you would in a naturally aspirated car.

tran1025

First Name
Twrong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 OWP Civic Si
Country flag
I’m thinking about clutch upgrade as well after I’m slipping with Race MAF and tsp stage 1...

So far from my judgement, ive seen that CM FX350 with single disc with sprung is the best way to go. Can anyone please let me know how their experience is with this setup? Was it worth it?

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
I haven't had a lightened flywheel in over forty years. And that was in a small block V8, so there's no way we can use that to determine what a 91 c.i. engine will act like.

This is, on the other hand, my first dual mass flywheel, and I hate it. It wasn't until I read up on how a dual mass flywheels work that I realized that pre-loading the spring was part of the "vagueness" I was feeling when I let out the clutch.

I have determined that I'm going with a steel single mass flywheel just as soon as I can justify replacing the clutch, and find someone within a days drive that I can trust to replace it.

Last edited:

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
i know there have been a lot of people reporting shift lock out from certain gears at high rpm after changing the flywheel (specifically the Spec kits). does anyone know if these issues have been resolved? Are the CM SMF flywheels any better? or Action Clutch SMF (havent heard any reviews)?

picklenick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I’m thinking about clutch upgrade as well after I’m slipping with Race MAF and tsp stage 1...

So far from my judgement, ive seen that CM FX350 with single disc with sprung is the best way to go. Can anyone please let me know how their experience is with this setup? Was it worth it?
Same setup here. Stock clutch started slipping after I tried out map 3. Currently clutch shopping as well.
Sponsored