minitech

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI 4 door
Country flag
GTIs are currently heavily discounted (approx 3k-4k). But to buy them you have to deal VW dealers - they set a new bar (lower) for shadiness. I couldn't even deal with them over email. Seriously the whole dealership model needs to GTFO. Tesla model should be the way forward. Even if I like some company's car, the thought of interacting with dealers just pisses me off.
Agreed they are, when i bought my 15 mk7 gti last year it was a shaddy mess, after many trips to the dealer for electrical issues i traded min out for a 18 cpo SI . Also vw uses a lot of torque to yeld bolt even on the bottom of the front struts and both of the front axles. I love the car but not the way it is put together. I have to admit i should have know better as i am a formal bmw tech, german is very different and some times not in a good way. lol
Sponsored

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
My favorite car reviewer says the e-diff on the VW is not as good as the limited slip on the Si. Apparently it understeers more and is less predictable. I'm sure it still handles great but the Si likely still takes the cake here.

Although on the freeway, I'll admit the GTI feels like something much more expensive.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
FWIW the diff in GTI works just fine. I take most reviews with a grain of salt because factory VW tires are most likely whats limiting the car. The way the factory ESC are calibrated they clamp down early on less grippy tires. With decent set of more performance oriented summer or 200TW track/autoX tires the diff is magical and I've had very rare instance where the ESC is limiting the car's ability to go fast. Its no Type R but I really like how they drove...

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I've said this for a while now, but with the rise of technology and the amount of things that are stuffed into modern cars, the maintenance cost gap between cars is quickly closing. Especially since Honda went turbocharged. According to Edmunds, the average 5 year cost to own for the Honda Civic Si and the Golf GTI has a similar price gap, which means they both cost around the same to maintain. If you're talking long term reliability, then sure Honda all the way but if you're just planning on keeping the car for a couple years, the maintenance cost for a GTI isn't a reason to stay away IMO.

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
FWIW the diff in GTI works just fine. I take most reviews with a grain of salt because factory VW tires are most likely whats limiting the car. The way the factory ESC are calibrated they clamp down early on less grippy tires. With decent set of more performance oriented summer or 200TW track/autoX tires the diff is magical and I've had very rare instance where the ESC is limiting the car's ability to go fast. Its no Type R but I really like how they drove...
Ah that makes sense. This reviewer was saying he felt a slight delay before the diff kicked in, so the car would understeer before correcting itself. But I also see how it could be due to the tires. I do want to get more seat time in a GTI someday.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The car is very dependent on that diff to do its thing, you learn to lean on it by getting on power early and the controller will just sort it out...

jjtheprince

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The GTI is just extremely expensive for what it is, sure, they start at $27.5K but the base version is extremely stripped down. You have to step up the Autobahn version to get decent features on it & those run $36K...might as well just get a CTR instead.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
The GTI is just extremely expensive for what it is, sure, they start at $27.5K but the base version is extremely stripped down. You have to step up the Autobahn version to get decent features on it & those run $36K...might as well just get a CTR instead.
You're going by MSRP. In my area, you can pick up a brand new GTI base model for $21,192 and a GTI SE for $25,158. These cars are heavily discounted now. So in reality, not really that expensive. It's defenitely competitive with the Si in pricing at the very least. It is nowhere near CTR pricing lol.

OP
OP
WOPSiWOT

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You're going by MSRP. In my area, you can pick up a brand new GTI base model for $21,192 and a GTI SE for $25,158. These cars are heavily discounted now. So in reality, not really that expensive. It's defenitely competitive with the Si in pricing at the very least. It is nowhere near CTR pricing lol.
Depends where and when. Where you are (Northern Virginia) has the lowest VW pricing in the county by far. I guess because their US headquarters are there?

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Depends where and when. Where you are (Northern Virginia) has the lowest VW pricing in the county by far. I guess because their US headquarters are there?
This, also when you sell you will suffer the penalty too. At least KBB and nada, carvana take that into account.

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
One thing I'm not a huge fan of on the GTI is the fact that 2nd gear goes up to what, almost 80 mph in the manual version? I LIKE shifting! I don't want to stay in 2nd gear all the dang time.

Maybe someone who's driven one can comment on this?

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
My car is a 2018 CTR. Wife’s is a 2017 GTI SE DSG. GTI was $10k cheaper.

Equally modded, GTI is faster in a straight line, gets much better fuel economy, has more tech, nicer fit and finish.

The CTR wins for track and handling for sure. The GTI wins for DD, comfort, quality.

There is no way in heck I would take an Si over a GTI.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
True, it does vary by area and I did forget that Northern VA in general has car prices generally very low. However, even if you're looking at another area (I did a search in North Carolina), I found that a Base GTI is selling for $26,875 over a Civic Si is selling for about $25,220. Again, not that much of a price gap at all. The GTI IS more expensive on average and if you option one up, it can hit 30K easily, but that's because you're getting stuff like leather, safety features, DSG etc.

All of which are NOT offered on an Si. So I think it's safe to say that the GTI is certainly not priced that bad at all in the real world. IMO GTI is a better car overall. Better interior, 2.0 turbo engine with much more modding potential over the 1.5 Turbo, and comes in a Hatch so is way more practical and offers more options than an Si.

This, also when you sell you will suffer the penalty too. At least KBB and nada, carvana take that into account.
Civic Si has a bit better resale value but its honestly negligible. I don't think one should pick one car over the other because of it, its not a big enough gap. Just look at the residual values of both cars and you'll find its a pretty small gap.

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
True, it does vary by area and I did forget that Northern VA in general has car prices generally very low. However, even if you're looking at another area (I did a search in North Carolina), I found that a Base GTI is selling for $26,875 over a Civic Si is selling for about $25,220. Again, not that much of a price gap at all. The GTI IS more expensive on average and if you option one up, it can hit 30K easily, but that's because you're getting stuff like leather, safety features, DSG etc.

All of which are NOT offered on an Si. So I think it's safe to say that the GTI is certainly not priced that bad at all in the real world. IMO GTI is a better car overall. Better interior, 2.0 turbo engine with much more modding potential over the 1.5 Turbo, and comes in a Hatch so is way more practical and offers more options than an Si.

Civic Si has a bit better resale value but its honestly negligible. I don't think one should pick one car over the other because of it, its not a big enough gap. Just look at the residual values of both cars and you'll find its a pretty small gap.
Residual value of the GTI is really high in canada, close to 50% for 4 years. Better than the SI

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Uh, Civic has way worse interior than VW....also base trim GTI is pretty loaded.
Sponsored