UPDATE 3/24/17: MeisterR coilovers after 10k miles

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
I have a quick question. Why would you want to change your suspension set-up on a brand new car that will basically void the warranty, at least on your suspension?
Better handling & ride. You keep the stock suspension & throw it back on later, if you decide to sell the car or trade it in. A lot of people who mod their cars generally keep the stock parts to return the car back to stock, if needed.
Sponsored

Hondadude88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Better handling & ride. You keep the stock suspension & throw it back on later, if you decide to sell the car or trade it in. A lot of people who mod their cars generally keep the stock parts to return the car back to stock, if needed.
But if you say take it in for service or something messes up, Im assuming the dealer will put up a fight at least with the fixing.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But if you say take it in for service or something messes up, Im assuming the dealer will put up a fight at least with the fixing.
True, that could happen. You manage that risk by taking it to a dealer that is mod-friendly. You buy parts that are well-made & have a good reputation in the industry, and have it professionally installed. Since we're talking suspension, if Koni & Bilstein had a suspension kit out for our cars now, I'd jump on it. I've used both those manufacturers on previous vehicles & have had a good experience with them. If I experience a suspension issue after the install, I would bring it to the installer that did my car & have them take 1st crack at it. They would have to prove to me that the issue wasn't the suspension kit but rather the other parts that hadn't been modified (i.e. stock parts). Modding isn't for everyone - the stock setup of the car is perfectly adequate for 90% of the folks that buy the car.

Hondadude88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
True, that could happen. You manage that risk by taking it to a dealer that is mod-friendly. You buy parts that are well-made & have a good reputation in the industry, and have it professionally installed. Since we're talking suspension, if Koni & Bilstein had a suspension kit out for our cars now, I'd jump on it. I've used both those manufacturers on previous vehicles & have had a good experience with them. If I experience a suspension issue after the install, I would bring it to the installer that did my car & have them take 1st crack at it. They would have to prove to me that the issue wasn't the suspension kit but rather the other parts that hadn't been modified (i.e. stock parts). Modding isn't for everyone - the stock setup of the car is perfectly adequate for 90% of the folks that buy the car.
And for the other 10% go to the SI or Type R lol

OP
OP

2hot2handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC-TOURING, 2005 EVO VIII
I have a quick question. Why would you want to change your suspension set-up on a brand new car that will basically void the warranty, at least on your suspension?
1. Because I wanted to lower my car.
2. I can careless about my suspension "warranty".

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Performance benefits were mentioned already, but it's also worth noting that most suspension parts aren't covered under warranty anyway.

Shocks and springs (which is essentially all you're replacing) is considered a consumable, and they will not warranty it if it fails with regular wear/tear.

And as for the SI/Type R comment, those cars will also have a lot of aftermarket support, including suspension, so it's not really a valid point.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Oh I do, I wouldn't waste the money. Especially since mine is a lease.
The Civic in stock form is not low enough for many people.

Without generalizing, if you think lowering the car is stupid, then all the power to you. But there will be a group of people who strongly disagree. So to ask such a question is kinda like saying "I'm sorry for sounding like a Jerk, but WHY would anyone wear socks and then sandals??"

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic ex-t
Country flag
I realize there are still people out there who modify their vehicles. I am one of them, but I guess I just don't understand the lowering part on the Civic. I'm 6'3 and I feel as though the car is low enough for me, getting in and out. I'm still getting used to parking in some instances as I always worry about scraping the front. So to those of you I offended, I apologize and hope that you can enjoy modifying.
It's not quite a matter of seat height. I'm 5'6" and most days I think the seat height is too low.

For many it's a cosmetic and/or a matter of handling. Less roll, lower CG etc not so much the seat height being an issue.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP

2hot2handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC-TOURING, 2005 EVO VIII
I'm sorry for sounding like a Jerk, but WHY would you want the Civic any lower than it already is?
Your opinion on low differs from mine. Hence why I lowered my car. To be more definitive in your curiosity, I simply wanted to change the esthetic stance and slightly improve handling.

jdogcarroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic coupe ex-t lunar silver
I am 6'3" and I want my coupe to be lower... I am just terrified of voiding my warranty, and to be honest seeing as how many different issues people are posting about a warranty doesn't seem like a bad thing to have around. But im not sure about it yet, I will need to ponder the idea for a little longer. I wanna get new wheels and I think getting new wheels on the stock ride height will look goofy. So getting coils would help tremendously.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am 6'3" and I want my coupe to be lower... I am just terrified of voiding my warranty, and to be honest seeing as how many different issues people are posting about a warranty doesn't seem like a bad thing to have around. But im not sure about it yet, I will need to ponder the idea for a little longer. I wanna get new wheels and I think getting new wheels on the stock ride height will look goofy. So getting coils would help tremendously.
The wheel gap with larger wheels is an issue for me, I agree with you. The nice thing with coilovers is you can adjust the height to as low as you want (for me, a 1.5" reduction from stock height would be fine for being a daily-driven car). If you change out your suspension, you can always keep the stock shocks & springs to return the car back to original suspension setup when needed, which would negate the warranty issue you're worried about.

jdogcarroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic coupe ex-t lunar silver
The wheel gap with larger wheels is an issue for me, I agree with you. The nice thing with coilovers is you can adjust the height to as low as you want (for me, a 1.5" reduction from stock height would be fine for being a daily-driven car). If you change out your suspension, you can always keep the stock shocks & springs to return the car back to original suspension setup when needed, which would negate the warranty issue you're worried about.
You think? How easy is the installation though? Do you think I would have to butcher my stock springs and struts to get them out and replaced with the coils? But like someone said I can't possibly see them warranty'ing (if that makes any sense) suspension on the car if its a part that is known to wear... its like them not voiding a warranty on wheels that have not been rotated or aligned.. and Yea a very subtle amount would do the trick but I still need to think about it. First I need to get wheels.

skittles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport and 2013 370Z sport
Vehicle Showcase
If you lower a car wouldn't you have to change things, since the car is built around the original height?
Sponsored