Up to 600HP with PRL turbo charger. WHAT????

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I know there was a thread somewhere talking about PRLs developing a turbo but they just released new info saying 600HP!!! Man what supporting mods will this need? wonder how much a full set up will cost. I know you are talking several thousands of dollars on most cars for turbo upgrades, just for the turbos....excited to see what comes down the pipe...literally.

http://prlarmy.com/Blog/prl-motorsp...fk8-drop-in-turbocharger-upgrade-development/
Sponsored

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know there was a thread somewhere talking about PRLs developing a turbo but they just released new info saying 600HP!!! Man what supporting mods will this need? wonder how much a full set up will cost. I know you are talking several thousands of dollars on most cars for turbo upgrades, just for the turbos....excited to see what comes down the pipe...literally.

http://prlarmy.com/Blog/prl-motorsp...fk8-drop-in-turbocharger-upgrade-development/
wow lol. that is wild

redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Going to cost a lot to make 600hp, the turbo will probably be the cheapest part, better clutch, built engine, some sort of aux fueling.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
While neat, how will this ever be usable power? With FWD and the weight transfer it feels like the threshhold of usable power in this platform would be like 450 and I'm being generous lol.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
While neat, how will this ever be usable power? With FWD and the weight transfer it feels like the threshhold of usable power in this platform would be like 450 and I'm being generous lol.
that is very correct. We still have the fuel issue even though Hondata might have a solution for that. I’m interested in this because I would like to make 450whp.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The ECU being Bosch you can adjust boost/torque per gear, per revolution per TP. So regardless of the power it will be usable.

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 1995 Civic EG K24/20 EFR7163 Fortune Auto track weapon
Country flag
off the top of my head; I'd say: $2500 for the turbo. $3k-$4k for the fuel system. you'd want a very good intercooler and pipes ($1k). downpipe (probably de-catted) $500. I'd say at the very least upgraded rods (say $1500 for the rods and bolts and if you have a shop to do the upgrade from the bottom without removing the motor maybe another $1k labor). and of course a custom tune (a good one!) with Hondata say $1500 (includes the Flashpro and E sensor) and you'd probably want it to be on E85 to make that sort of power unless you plan on running $10 per gal of race fuel every day. I think you could try it on the stock clutch if you drove it sensibly and weren't drag racing it hard core. what's that up to? around $11,500 or so. and that's not adding up any of the extras that always crop up doing this sort of thing.

when I built my K24/20 frankenstien with BW EFR 7163 turbo system on my time attack EG the costs added up DAMN QUICKLY lol!!!!!

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I would imagine at 600hp on a 2.0L engine, the turbo will be rather large in size which I would assume means much more turbo lag. I know there's ways to counter turbo lag, but I'd imagine at some point the size of the turbo will be the dictating force of that. I could be completely wrong, but that much power out of a small displacement engine would likely mean a pretty small power band, with all that power being made high in the RPM range. Anything under 4000 rpm might be terrible for street driving, with power coming on hard, after that. So will this setup be strictly for the track? Or drag strip? Or... ??

Super cool they're pushing a 2.0L engine to those levels, though. It must sound gnarly at WOT. Much praise to PRL... just curious to learn more about this!

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I would say anything over 450 is pretty useless on the street since you couldn't put that power down till you are over 70MPH. However, it would be very usable on the track with the correct torque per gear setup. I did an HPDE at Daytona International, and with 350whp I was only getting to 150-155 depending on how much I pushed the braking zone going into turn one. Most track setup cars often have a serious front splitter and a larger wing which need significant amounts of horsepower to power through all the extra drag. On a track like Daytona, even with stock down force, I can imagine being able to use up to around 700hp on the banking and straights which would dramatically decrease lap times.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I would say anything over 450 is pretty useless on the street since you couldn't put that power down till you are over 70MPH. However, it would be very usable on the track with the correct torque per gear setup. I did an HPDE at Daytona International, and with 350whp I was only getting to 150-155 depending on how much I pushed the braking zone going into turn one. Most track setup cars often have a serious front splitter and a larger wing which need significant amounts of horsepower to power through all the extra drag. On a track like Daytona, even with stock down force, I can imagine being able to use up to around 700hp on the banking and straights which would dramatically decrease lap times.
Good call / perspective for a use case

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
That depends on what you're using it for and how much you want to set it up. Fastest time attack cars right now are 700-800whp Civics that are even lighter than ours. They have insane aero to accomplish this but on a track like Buttonwillow this car can 100% use all 600hp. On a tighter track like thunder hill west it will be useless on many corners.

So actually yes it can use the 600hp depending on setup and track.

HumbleSage

The Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2, 2008 Civic SI's. 1 Ralleye Red (Stock). 1 Fiji Blue Pearl (Modified). 1 2017 Civic Type-R (Stock)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm in for the 450whp mark too.

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
So actually yes it can use the 600hp depending on setup and track.[/QUOTE]