Unusual sounds while accelerating?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Evening, SI family. While driving today, I noticed a couple of strange noises related to acceleration. The first is a rather noticeable high pitched whistling that occurs in the lower parts of the rev range. I'd never noticed this before - does everyone else have this? Is this some sort of normal turbo noise?

The second is a gentle hissing, buzzing sound that also occurs during acceleration. If I let up off the throttle, it goes away immediately. Is this normal sound of the stock intake?

I didn't notice either of these sounds when test driving other 2017 SI's. Does anyone else have these?
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With the stock intake, I could hear the turbo charger spool faintly with the engine under load, though the engine would drown it out as the RPMs rose. I would call it a 'hiss' more than a whistle. With the green drop-in filter PRL sells, it is a lot louder... but it was always there.

I have not experience a buzzing sound. A couple clunks from the clutch. Some sounds the bypass/recirc valve makes when coming off throttle, an idle that's choppier than my 9th gen I'm used to DIs having... but that's about it.

ricoxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes! I experience this whistling noise (not the turbo "hissing" sound) at higher rpm (2500 RPM +). This sound is coming from the AC vents. I know a lot of people have this same issue so i was wondering if anyone has a root cause for this?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes! I experience this whistling noise (not the turbo "hissing" sound) at higher rpm (2500 RPM +). This sound is coming from the AC vents. I know a lot of people have this same issue so i was wondering if anyone has a root cause for this?
I haven't had this problem. One thing to check though: does it change if you do your defrost vents vs dash vents vs floor vents? I'm not familiar with these cars vent setup. Some we're vacuum based that used the vacuum system to operate them. A vacuum leak would give an odd sound. Otherwise, I'd say blower or something is shaped in the air path that is making that noise. Sorry... it's not much help, but being able to identify what does/doesn't make it happen or makes it better/worse to bring into a dealer. I've done a few things with older cars ventilation system... such as replacing a blower motor and it *sucked*. I'd jump on a warranty claim on it to get it fixed now rather than living with it.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...reading your post again, if it's not ventilation related, just something that's transmitted through it then, well. I have no idea. I do think there were some other threads about this.

pmcderm29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
Country flag
Evening, SI family. While driving today, I noticed a couple of strange noises related to acceleration. The first is a rather noticeable high pitched whistling that occurs in the lower parts of the rev range. I'd never noticed this before - does everyone else have this? Is this some sort of normal turbo noise?

The second is a gentle hissing, buzzing sound that also occurs during acceleration. If I let up off the throttle, it goes away immediately. Is this normal sound of the stock intake?

I didn't notice either of these sounds when test driving other 2017 SI's. Does anyone else have these?
I have the same issue with the whistling during acceleration. It goes away when the AC is turned off. Not sure what is causing it. Searched Google I found a lot of Honda/Acura's experienced the same noise. A couple of posts stated that a AC recharge fixed it. Have not tried it though.

ricoxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the same issue with the whistling during acceleration. It goes away when the AC is turned off. Not sure what is causing it. Searched Google I found a lot of Honda/Acura's experienced the same noise. A couple of posts stated that a AC recharge fixed it. Have not tried it though.
Yes! Same issue you experience, I experienced as well. I will probably bring it to the dealer after the holidays to get it checked. Almost reminds me of the sound a standing wave experiment I did in physics class long time ago. Lol.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 9th was low on freon when I bought it it did not whistle however... it surged occasionally and everytime after startup. I did not experience a whistle with it however. It was quite low. I added 1/2 can (12 oz of freon + oil) just to get it on the bottom of it's operating band... and ended up doing the full can to get it to the mid-band area. I did not take it to the dealer as I had a recharge kit and several cans of freon on hand and didn't want to drive ~2 hours round trip plus waiting around time for it. I did this in the first year I owned it and didnt have a problem for 2 years thereafter.

The Odyssey, a 2014, has been fine. My 10th, thus far has been fine, though I have heard it surge a couple times upon startup.

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
My heater is loud as shit.

Defrost songs like frogs, and the sound she's with throttle application.

EizenhowerSTL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

I am noticing the same thing in mine. Very prominent in first and second gear.

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
Yes, my 2010 Acura TSX (6MT) has the whistling sound during acceleration, and I believe it's the AC compressor. My AC was undercharged from the factory, but the recharge didn't eliminate the noise.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'll make sure to test things out with the blower off today to see if the whistling goes away. Regarding the hissing/gentle buzzing noise when applying any throttle at all, I appear to be the only one. It is definitely a distinct noise from the engine, and I'm just wondering if it's the sound of the stock intake.

andrewlison13

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'll make sure to test things out with the blower off today to see if the whistling goes away. Regarding the hissing/gentle buzzing noise when applying any throttle at all, I appear to be the only one. It is definitely a distinct noise from the engine, and I'm just wondering if it's the sound of the stock intake.
I know the buzzing sound you’re referring to exactly. I have personally believed that it’s the injectors due to this car being direct injected the injectors are really loud. I’m not sure if that’s the case, just what I have assumed. It sounds to me like the loud idle injector sound just sped up really fast.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I know the buzzing sound you’re referring to exactly. I have personally believed that it’s the injectors due to this car being direct injected the injectors are really loud. I’m not sure if that’s the case, just what I have assumed. It sounds to me like the loud idle injector sound just sped up really fast.
Does yours go away the instant you let off the throttle?
Sponsored