First Name
Conor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm not the biggest fan of the Honda Sensing Suite:

1. The adaptive cruise control leaves waaaaay too much space. Even on it's closest setting the gap it leaves just invites people to cut in front of you. I would cut in front of me with that much of a gap! I've only used it a couple of times when traffic is very light. In general I just use the standard cruise control.

2. The lane keep assist is frequently confused if the road markings aren't pristine. There are a number of areas on my highway commute where the road has numerous cracks filled with the black road stuff, and lane keep assist can't seem to make sense of it all. I no longer use LKAS.

3. The road departure mitigation/lane departure warning has the IQ of a baked potato. It also gets confused by anything other than pristine lane markings, constantly warning me that I'm out of my lane and vibrating the steering wheel, even when I am in my lane. Cross over a line when a turn lane begins - warning and vibration. Move over slightly to pass a cyclist - warning and vibration. Like, you have a camera too - don't you see the f'ing cyclist that's causing me to move over! I personally hate any non-road related movement of the steering wheel. It has sometimes warned me that I'm leaving my lane AFTER I have turned on my signal to change lanes!

4. The forward collision warning might be the least annoying, but is still too sensitive in my opinion (and I have it on "low"). Pass a little too closely to the car in front of you (especially if passing on the right) and it's gonna be talking to you.

In summary, these safety features are only helpful if they don't frequently annoy the driver (me) who then turns them off, defeating the very purpose of having them.

Otherwise, I LOVE my Si!
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag

1. The adaptive cruise control leaves waaaaay too much space. Even on it's closest setting the gap it leaves just invites people to cut in front of you. I would cut in front of me with that much of a gap! I've only used it a couple of times when traffic is very light. In general I just use the standard cruise control.

2. The lane keep assist is frequently confused if the road markings aren't pristine. There are a number of areas on my highway commute where the road has numerous cracks filled with the black road stuff, and lane keep assist can't seem to make sense of it all. I no longer use LKAS.

3. The road departure mitigation/lane departure warning has the IQ of a baked potato. It also gets confused by anything other than pristine lane markings, constantly warning me that I'm out of my lane and vibrating the steering wheel, even when I am in my lane. Cross over a line when a turn lane begins - warning and vibration. Move over slightly to pass a cyclist - warning and vibration. Like, you have a camera too - don't you see the f'ing cyclist that's causing me to move over! I personally hate any non-road related movement of the steering wheel. It has sometimes warned me that I'm leaving my lane AFTER I have turned on my signal to change lanes!

4. The forward collision warning might be the least annoying, but is still too sensitive in my opinion (and I have it on "low"). Pass a little too closely to the car in front of you (especially if passing on the right) and it's gonna be talking to you.

In summary, these safety features are only helpful if they don't frequently annoy the driver (me) who then turns them off, defeating the very purpose of having them.

Otherwise, I LOVE my Si!
I absolutely hate adaptive cruise, lane sensing, and crash mitigation technology. Thankfully none of my cars have them, Whenever I rent a car, I turn all that crap off. The only technology I like is backup camera and blind spot warning

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I absolutely hate adaptive cruise, lane sensing, and crash mitigation technology. Thankfully none of my cars have them, Whenever I rent a car, I turn all that crap off. The only technology I like is backup camera and blind spot warning
Agreed! That’s what I like about my 2018 EX-T
Backup camera and lane watch that’s it
My brother’s wife has a 2018 CR-V touring he turns all of that stuff off when he driving

zerointerrupt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe
Country flag
The Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S tire happened to be one chosen for the AAA tire wear study.

They did instrumented tests on the tires new, then used a machine to cut the tires down to 4/32"(I think) and retested.

Keep in mind they cut down new tires, so tires actually driven on to wear them will have time aged, weather aged, potentially uneven wear, etc. and will perform even worse.

The worn versions of the OEM tires were literal shit. Stopping distance, cornering grip, and noise levels all took a drastic dive. This is something higher end tires will not do.

The tires seem fine to everyone at first because they are decent, but get 10-15k miles on them and you start to notice they aren't nearly as competent as they used to be.
Nope.. they where not decent after mile 1... 1500 miles on mine and I still hate them.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
The Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S tire happened to be one chosen for the AAA tire wear study.
Though ratings are only compared to a specific manufacturer's own tires, 80,000 km tread life on a tire is high, which is AAA for their comparison. GT Radial MaxTour tires are way cheaper and grip better and last longer, so you really have to be careful when comparing two tires of different manufactures. One's AA is as good or better than another's AAA.

Michelin Pilot Sport all seasons are 70k tires, but Goodyears have tested to drop right off the cliff in performance as they wear and Michelin has much less change in performance as they wear, compared to other manufactures. You may get 80k from the Goodyears before they're to the wear bars, but they won't grip for shit long before 80k. They don't grip for shit when new. lol. Honda should have chosen the Michelins, IMO, given their better wearing performance. They will be more expensive though, in all certainty.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Though ratings are only compared to a specific manufacturer's own tires, 80,000 km tread life on a tire is high, which is AAA for their comparison. GT Radial MaxTour tires are way cheaper and grip better and last longer, so you really have to be careful when comparing two tires of different manufactures. One's AA is as good or better than another's AAA.

Michelin Pilot Sport all seasons are 70k tires, but Goodyears have tested to drop right off the cliff in performance as they wear and Michelin has much less change in performance as they wear, compared to other manufactures. You may get 80k from the Goodyears before they're to the wear bars, but they won't grip for shit long before 80k. They don't grip for shit when new. lol. Honda should have chosen the Michelins, IMO, given their better wearing performance. They will be more expensive though, in all certainty.
AAA as in the American Automobile Association. They randomly selected tires from various price ranges and tested them both new and shaved down to see if price had a bearing on new performance and performance longevity.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I hate ignorant people cutting in front when there is "no space" - they are the cause of accidents, even when technologies are such that nearly all accidents shouldn't even occur. That and people like you damage my intercooler.

I only really have issues in the rightmost lane - it wants to take the off ramps. As for the cracks in the highway, shitty quality asphalt and shitty maintenance doesn't help. :p

3. The road departure mitigation/lane departure warning has the IQ of a baked potato. It also gets confused by anything other than pristine lane markings, constantly warning me that I'm out of my lane and vibrating the steering wheel, even when I am in my lane. Cross over a line when a turn lane begins - warning and vibration.
Tap the signal stalk.
Move over slightly to pass a cyclist - warning and vibration.
Tap the signal stalk.
Like, you have a camera too - don't you see the f'ing cyclist that's causing me to move over!
Don't confuse "I" and "AI".
I personally hate any non-road related movement of the steering wheel. It has sometimes warned me that I'm leaving my lane AFTER I have turned on my signal to change lanes!
You have to signal first, not change lanes and then signal after you're already changing lanes. If you still have issues, see the dealer.

I'm just having fun with you if you haven't realized that yet, but seriously, these warnings are because you're driving like an asshole. Drive properly and these warnings won't occur! hehe. :p

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
AAA as in the American Automobile Association. They randomly selected tires from various price ranges and tested them both new and shaved down to see if price had a bearing on new performance and performance longevity.
I thought you were referring to the Tire Rating system. Thanks for clarifying. Though, I think my comment still stands. :D

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag

They did instrumented tests on the tires new, then used a machine to cut the tires down to 4/32"(I think) and retested.

Keep in mind they cut down new tires, so tires actually driven on to wear them will have time aged, weather aged, potentially uneven wear, etc. and will perform even worse.

The worn versions of the OEM tires were literal shit. Stopping distance, cornering grip, and noise levels all took a drastic dive. This is something higher end tires will not do.

The tires seem fine to everyone at first because they are decent, but get 10-15k miles on them and you start to notice they aren't nearly as competent as they used to be.
While not the SI, when i was still with my exhusband - he had a regular civic - and i want to say he put about 10k miles on the stock tires and i was over at costco putting new tires on his car. The stocks were horrible. We could not even give them away.
Sponsored