arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I don't mind the rev hang either. My previous car was an 05 TL that had also had a clutch delay valve and rev hang. The clutch in the Si is still kind of weird, but the rev hang was the same as my TL.
Sponsored

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
I actually love the HDMI tip for something stock. Love the black rims. Even though the 17-19s aren't too shabby. Especially when they're shined up. 2 totally different looks. The black rims make the Si look like a little race car..
I like both front vents around the same. Depending on the color and setup on the car. The new sedan rears look much better imo. The interior on the 10thgen is nice. Black leather would be nicer. Even though it's never been part of the Si theme.

Last edited:

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I actually love the HDMI tip for something stock. Love the black rims. Even though the 17-19s aren't too shabby. Especially when they're shined up. 2 totally different looks. The black rims make the Si look like a little race car..
I like both front vents around the same. Depending on the color and setup on the car. The new sedan rears look much better imo. The interior on the 10thgen is nice. Black leather would be nicer. Even though it's never been part of the Si theme.
With the acceptance of the SI wing and the HDMI tip and the si emblem it looks like a regular coupe from the rear at least with the sedan SI with the bigger vents in the rear you can tell it’s a SI
Personally I like the fake vents especially on the hatchback

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
The Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S tire happened to be one chosen for the AAA tire wear study.

They did instrumented tests on the tires new, then used a machine to cut the tires down to 4/32"(I think) and retested.

Keep in mind they cut down new tires, so tires actually driven on to wear them will have time aged, weather aged, potentially uneven wear, etc. and will perform even worse.

The worn versions of the OEM tires were literal shit. Stopping distance, cornering grip, and noise levels all took a drastic dive. This is something higher end tires will not do.

The tires seem fine to everyone at first because they are decent, but get 10-15k miles on them and you start to notice they aren't nearly as competent as they used to be.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I tried driving around w/ rev-hang re-enabled via the cruise control button yesterday and I don't know how anyone deals w/ it. I found myself having to wait like what seemed forever for the RPMs to drop or uncomfortably slip the clutch to bring them down.

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
The Goodyear Eagle Sport A/S tire happened to be one chosen for the AAA tire wear study.

They did instrumented tests on the tires new, then used a machine to cut the tires down to 4/32"(I think) and retested.

Keep in mind they cut down new tires, so tires actually driven on to wear them will have time aged, weather aged, potentially uneven wear, etc. and will perform even worse.

The worn versions of the OEM tires were literal shit. Stopping distance, cornering grip, and noise levels all took a drastic dive. This is something higher end tires will not do.

The tires seem fine to everyone at first because they are decent, but get 10-15k miles on them and you start to notice they aren't nearly as competent as they used to be.
That's interesting.
We certainly experienced that with motorcycle tires. New, most had acceptable grip.
The real test was how long they maintained good grip though the life of the tire. Some would still have tread, but had lost their grip about half way though. Others would maintain grip though the visible life of the tread.
A set of sportbike tires would last us around 3,000 miles average. I had a few bikes that tire expenses surpassed the price of the 'bought new bike' I mounted them on. And that was back when we could buy a set for $200.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
#4. I like the HDMI, also. I find it actually fits the angular design of the car far more than the circular exhausts on the market. Thermal’s angular tip doesn’t fit, IMO. Besides, it seems like real gain are in the frontpipe/downpipe combo.

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hated the rev hang at first, but now with a Borla it crackles a lot with the rev hang so can't complain now lol. Nowadays though I've noticed rev hang is controllable with the cruise on/off button. I'm not sure if that's the tsp tune or what but having the cruise control on (not running on maintaining speed) turns on rev hang. It's nice because if I'm doing a mountain run or spirited driving I can turn rev hang off and feel like I can shift much quicker and the rev drop will keep up.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I hated the rev hang at first, but now with a Borla it crackles a lot with the rev hang so can't complain now lol. Nowadays though I've noticed rev hang is controllable with the cruise on/off button. I'm not sure if that's the tsp tune or what but having the cruise control on (not running on maintaining speed) turns on rev hang. It's nice because if I'm doing a mountain run or spirited driving I can turn rev hang off and feel like I can shift much quicker and the rev drop will keep up.
Disabling rev hang w/ the cruise button is a function of the ktuner. With the built-in ktuner tunes, you can control how aggressive the rev hang control is, which is nice. I wonder what level TSP sets it to in their tunes, since you can't view them like you can w/ the built-in ones.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
There are a number of things about the 10th gen Si's that everyone seems to agree on. There are few of those things that I don't necessarily agree with based on my experience owning my Si in the near 3 months I've had it, such as:
  1. I don't mind the rev hang.
    • It was weird to get adjusted to at first, but it feels like second nature now that I'm used to it and I don't even notice it anymore.
    • I intend on tuning eventually and when I do I don't think I will choose to disable it.
  2. I like the infotainment system a lot actually.
    • I almost exclusively use the apple car play, which I love, so I don't really have to interact with the screen much.
    • I also have the volume nob and fan speed buttons in my 2020. If I didn't have those I don't think I would feel the same way about it lol.
  3. I really like the cosmetic changes that came with 2020 refresh.
    • I love the 2020 vent changes and love the black wheels compared to the 17-19 models.
    • This isn't too unpopular of an opinion though as it seems to be split down the middle about how everyone feels about it.
  4. I like the look of the factory HDMI exhaust tip
    • It's such a unique look and just goes well with the car for me.
    • I'm not sure if I will ever upgrade the exhaust because I like HDMI tip and appreciate how silent it exhaust is overall while still having some aggressiveness to it.
  5. I'm very happy I have the Honda Sensing Suite
    • I don't utilize most of the features that often, but the adaptive cruise and lane keep assist is so nice to have on long highway drives.
    • The other stuff that is more safety focused is just nice to have; I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
  6. Probably the most unpopular opinion of them all: I actually like the OEM all season Goodyear tires.
    • Everyone complains about how bad they are in the rain and snow, and I've gotta say that I can't agree.
    • I've driven in heavy downpours and in a few inches of unplowed snow covered roads multiple times so far without losing any confidence in the car's handling or stability. I've never hydroplaned once either. I actually tried to push the tires to their limit a few times in heavy rainy conditions and stayed plated the whole time without a hitch.
    • I don't know how much weight my opinion should have though because I never went out of my way to get dedicated performance tires with my previous car, so it's quite possible that these are the best quality tires I've ever owned and I might not have experienced tires worthy of comparison.

I thought it would be interesting to share my unpopular opinions about the Si and hear some unpopular opinions from everyone else.

Lets hear 'em!
I agree with everything except 1 and 6:
- rev hang is retarded
- goodyear all seasons blow - an OE tire so useless I'm spinning wheels in 3rd gear.. I'm sure I didn't accidentally get a 305 hp Si.

Then again, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and most of them stink. I prefer facts over fiction.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I tried driving around w/ rev-hang re-enabled via the cruise control button yesterday and I don't know how anyone deals w/ it. I found myself having to wait like what seemed forever for the RPMs to drop or uncomfortably slip the clutch to bring them down.
You actually don't have to wait to shift. The rev hang does not interfere with shifting, it is more a mental block because you feel that it will cause a mis-shift or grind if you shift before the RPM's start to go down. Once I got over this mental block (I don't know what else to call it), you can shift at any RPM with no delay. The only thing you have to make sure is that you are allowing the synchros to do their job.

I wanted to make a video showing this, but never got a chance

cekIV

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
OP, where can I get some of them happy-go-lucky drugs?? ;-)

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
You actually don't have to wait to shift. The rev hang does not interfere with shifting, it is more a mental block because you feel that it will cause a mis-shift or grind if you shift before the RPM's start to go down. Once I got over this mental block (I don't know what else to call it), you can shift at any RPM with no delay. The only thing you have to make sure is that you are allowing the synchros to do their job.

I wanted to make a video showing this, but never got a chance
Oh, I know I don't HAVE to wait for the revs to drop, but I feel like it adds additional clutch wear that can be avoided by waiting for the revs to come down. Sure, it's probably fairly minor, but for daily driving I'd prefer not to wear my clutch unnecessarily. Now, if doing spirited driving, regardless you'll probably be shifting before the revs drop, but that's just the cost of having fun :)

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Infotainment is not bad because I also use apple carplay primarily, but I do wish the screen was a bit bigger and sharper like it's competition. I have the EX so even though it's a 2018 Civic, I still get the fan speed knob since it's only single-zone climate control.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Oh, I know I don't HAVE to wait for the revs to drop, but I feel like it adds additional clutch wear that can be avoided by waiting for the revs to come down. Sure, it's probably fairly minor, but for daily driving I'd prefer not to wear my clutch unnecessarily. Now, if doing spirited driving, regardless you'll probably be shifting before the revs drop, but that's just the cost of having fun :)
I would highly doubt it adds to any additional clutch wear. In fact I would argue the sudden rpm drop when rev hang is turned off and there is that slight lug between shifts would be harder on the clutch. My clutch had no issues in 17k of fairly hard use, and presale inspection by the buyer found normal wear with engine, transmission, clutch and brakes
Sponsored