si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
There are a number of things about the 10th gen Si's that everyone seems to agree on. There are few of those things that I don't necessarily agree with based on my experience owning my Si in the near 3 months I've had it, such as:
  1. I don't mind the rev hang.
    • It was weird to get adjusted to at first, but it feels like second nature now that I'm used to it and I don't even notice it anymore.
    • I intend on tuning eventually and when I do I don't think I will choose to disable it.
  2. I like the infotainment system a lot actually.
    • I almost exclusively use the apple car play, which I love, so I don't really have to interact with the screen much.
    • I also have the volume nob and fan speed buttons in my 2020. If I didn't have those I don't think I would feel the same way about it lol.
  3. I really like the cosmetic changes that came with 2020 refresh.
    • I love the 2020 vent changes and love the black wheels compared to the 17-19 models.
    • This isn't too unpopular of an opinion though as it seems to be split down the middle about how everyone feels about it.
  4. I like the look of the factory HDMI exhaust tip
    • It's such a unique look and just goes well with the car for me.
    • I'm not sure if I will ever upgrade the exhaust because I like HDMI tip and appreciate how silent it exhaust is overall while still having some aggressiveness to it.
  5. I'm very happy I have the Honda Sensing Suite
    • I don't utilize most of the features that often, but the adaptive cruise and lane keep assist is so nice to have on long highway drives.
    • The other stuff that is more safety focused is just nice to have; I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
  6. Probably the most unpopular opinion of them all: I actually like the OEM all season Goodyear tires.
    • Everyone complains about how bad they are in the rain and snow, and I've gotta say that I can't agree.
    • I've driven in heavy downpours and in a few inches of unplowed snow covered roads multiple times so far without losing any confidence in the car's handling or stability. I've never hydroplaned once either. I actually tried to push the tires to their limit a few times in heavy rainy conditions and stayed plated the whole time without a hitch.
    • I don't know how much weight my opinion should have though because I never went out of my way to get dedicated performance tires with my previous car, so it's quite possible that these are the best quality tires I've ever owned and I might not have experienced tires worthy of comparison.

I thought it would be interesting to share my unpopular opinions about the Si and hear some unpopular opinions from everyone else.

Lets hear 'em!
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I agree with most if not all your opinions. I find that disabling rev hang disrupts the driving experience under light throttle. So I mostly leave it alone unless I'm planning to do WOT in 1st or 2nd.

Goodyears aren't all that bad either. But they DO get unusually noisy once half worn. IMHO, there are a few tires out there with better overall service life, such as the Michelin AS3+ or Continental EC DWS.

OP
OP
si_well

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I agree with most if not all your opinions. I find that disabling rev hang disrupts the driving experience under light throttle. So I mostly leave it alone unless I'm planning to do WOT in 1st or 2nd.

Goodyears aren't all that bad either. But they DO get unusually noisy once half worn. IMHO, there are a few tires out there with better overall service life, such as the Michelin AS3+ or Continental EC DWS.
Yeah that's another thing about my tires.. They only have about 5,000 miles on them so far, so I'm only able to judge them at their absolute best.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
The tires are not awful but they are also not the best in rain/snow. I’ve had over 10 cars and other stock tires were better in bad weather. A lot of people though prefer to choose their own tires and they won’t be happy unless it’s their own choice regardless of whether it’s good or not.

Out of the trio of Toyota, Nissan and Honda. The Honda info-tainment system is by far the most user friendly and intuitive. There are probably better systems on Acura, Lexus and Infiniti. But just on a standard type of car. Having carplay in my civics is so great.

I like sensing too but I turn off lane departure. The thing I use the most is auto cruise.

my one complaint about the car is the cameras suck. If you ever drive in a Volvo, that thing is like 4K oled ultra HD. Crazy Crystal clear. The backup camera especially on Honda’s...none of them are good. I have 3 different Honda’s. They all are subpar.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I totally agree with you about rev hang, once I got used to it, I found all the complaints to be nothing burgers. The infotainment system was not the worst (check out the 2020 Ford Explorers), but it was really annoying to have to go into the screen to change the fan speed. The auto feature never worked for me. The cosmetic changes on the 2020 are nice, but I have to tell you the fit and finish on the 2018 was sad. Very sad. HDMI exhaust? It is actually not bad, I should have left things the way they were. I hate crash mitigation technology, so I am glad the 2018 didn't have that, and lastly, the Goodyear AS tires: I never understood why people hate them so much. Not the best tires, but they held the car very well on the road wet or dry. Living in California, we don't have icy roads so I can't speak for that. Several long distance drives between Northern and Southern Cal (360 miles each way) in all sorts of conditions never caused any slipping or issues. The only thing I can say is people must drive like maniacs

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Do you have an "unpopular opinion" about something you dislike about the car? Your whole list just seems like an argument that everything about your Civic is great, not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
Owned my coupe about 2 and a half months now.
And actually, I wouldn't call any of those opinions blasphemy.
I think Honda did a pretty good job and I'm happy with the purchase.

OP
OP
si_well

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Do you have an "unpopular opinion" about something you dislike about the car? Your whole list just seems like an argument that everything about your Civic is great, not that there's anything wrong with that ;)
It's funny that you mention that, because I also noticed that too after I wrote them down. Overall I don't have that many bad things to say about the car, if any at all, and even if I did I can't imagine they would be things that went against the grain of popular opinion haha.

I guess my biggest gripe, that I haven't seen many people bring up, is I hate the material of my seats (or I just hate my dog). Because even though my dog has NEVER ONCE been inside of my car, his white hair is all over both seats in the front and the entire back seat. It's impossible to get them out too. It's like his hairs are barbed and they end up getting threaded inside the holes of the seats. I keep a lint roller in my car at all times because of it lol.

2ndCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 civic si
Country flag
It's funny that you mention that, because I also noticed that too after I wrote them down. Overall I don't have that many bad things to say about the car, if any at all, and even if I did I can't imagine they would be things that went against the grain of popular opinion haha.

I guess my biggest gripe, that I haven't seen many people bring up, is I hate the material of my seats (or I just hate my dog). Because even though my dog has NEVER ONCE been inside of my car, his white hair is all over both seats in the front and the entire back seat. It's impossible to get them out too. It's like his hairs are barbed and they end up getting threaded inside the holes of the seats. I keep a lint roller in my car at all times because of it lol.
That's just dogs unfortunately. My sister has a dog and she lives 1000 miles away and I only see her a couple times a year, but I still find her dog's fur in my car...

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That would have been a bummer, but they fixed that on the 2020!
Actually on the 2019 they added the fan button. My Lexus has that same feature, but placement of the screen (at eye level) and the size of fan buttons on the touch screen make it easier, although I would prefer a physical button. In the 2017-2018 Si it was more difficult to change the setting while driving, I would have to wait for a stop

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Actually on the 2019 they added the fan button. My Lexus has that same feature, but placement of the screen (at eye level) and the size of fan buttons on the touch screen make it easier, although I would prefer a physical button. In the 2017-2018 Si it was more difficult to change the setting while driving, I would have to wait for a stop
To be perfectly honest I don’t like the volume knob on the head unit my 2018 head unit looks great with out one I like the volume control on the steering wheel my two previous cars had also
On the 2019 and now the knob looks like a tacky add on this is my opinion :)

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To be perfectly honest I don’t like the volume knob on the head unit my 2018 head unit looks great with out one I like the volume control on the steering wheel my two previous cars had also
Volume knob I don't care much about, as I've always used the steering wheel controls, even in my Toyota's. If they put a fan control button on the steering wheel, I would not have minded that

OP
OP
si_well

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
The volume knob does look a little out of place. It's really tiny and often times I will accidentally turn off the stereo by pressing the knob inwards when I'm trying to adjust the volume.

zerointerrupt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe
Country flag
the goodyears are hot garbage. Noisy,no grip in rain or snow. I miss my continentals.
Sponsored