OP
nxt3

nxt3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
5'11" here, 175 pounds, I find the seats to be the most comfortable seats to be ever put in an automobile. Literally, I'm astonished that they managed a seat that is actually bolstered enough for track work (just about no factory seat is), while remaining comfortable for long drives, and isn't designed with 250 pound people in mind (a lot of seats are made bigger to fit the 230+ crowd, but then don't fit anyone under 200 well, not the case with the CTR).

Just an idea, if you haven't been coached on track driving, you might not being sitting in a position that works with a performance oriented seat.
Here's a typical setup procedure for someone around 6 feet tall.

1. adjust seat to the lowest position possible (at 6 feet every car you drive should have its seat in the lowest position, you can feel the car better during cornering, etc. In fact most seats aren't mounted low enough even in the lowest setting)
2. adjust seat forward or back until with the clutch completely pressed your left leg still has a slight bend in the knee. Most people sit too far from the steering wheel.
3. adjust seat recline to straight up, then either leave it, or go one notch back. Most people recline the drivers seat way too much.
4. adjust steering wheel height (up/down) so that the top of the wheel is just higher than the instrument cluster. That is, if the wheel was any lower, it would obstruct your tachometer from your vision.
5. adjust the telescoping of the wheel so that when your back is against the seat, if you stick out your arm and try to put it on top of the steering wheel, the wheel will hit your wrist.

This is a basic performance driving setup. If you're not used to it, it may feel awkward for a while, but try it for a few days, you might get used to it. It's great for whenever you're dive bombing canyon roads or a track, but also comfortable for 10 hour road trips.

I've test driven the Type R for a while and can't wait to start driving it on my commute (45-60 min, one way). I hate the seats in my Subaru!
So after doing this all, my lower back seems fine. However, it's my shoulders now. If I hold the steering wheel at the 5 & 7 o'clock positions, my shoulders seem fine. :( I'm so close.

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EF9 DC2 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So after doing this all, my lower back seems fine. However, it's my shoulders now. If I hold the steering wheel at the 5 & 7 o'clock positions, my shoulders seem fine. :( I'm so close.
You are worse than my wife shopping for shoes! :)

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
im a small guy, 5'7 at 150 pounds and i love the seats, so comfy! granted the longest ive ever sat in them is probably 2 hours or so, maybe a long distance trip would have me thinking otherwise.

Last edited:

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
This seats are phenomenal in comparison of other sport cars :thumbsup: Seat yourself for just one hour in an Evo X -back mutilation!

jmayo1056

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R PMM #1056
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am 6ft, 185lbs; I've only had the car for two weeks. This has to be the most uncomfortable seat I've ever sat in. It seems like every day, I'm making adjustments to account for various pains. It's either my lower back or shoulders.

What am I doing wrong? I have the seat angled upright, the steering wheel is in a comfortable position, and I'm at a good distance from the pedals.

There is way too much lumbar support in the seat, and it's detracting from the car; I wish they made lumbar support adjustable.

Does anyone have any tips? Its ruining the car for me. :/
I love these seats. Drivin 900 mile trips a few times and haven’t had one issue.

Maybe try some yoga. LOL

dontblink777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FK8 R-00234, 2016 Pilot Touring AWD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm 6'4" 290 lbs & I fit nice & comfy. snug but comfy. way more comfortable than the Recaros in my last car.

SoCal_R

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2016 GT350
Country flag
I've broken my back and had 7 surgeries on it including fusions and these are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. I love these things. I can drive for 2-3 hours straight with no issue, where I've had issues with all of my past cars. One of the biggest selling points for me was when I sat in it for the first time.

dontblink777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW FK8 R-00234, 2016 Pilot Touring AWD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've broken my back and had 7 surgeries on it including fusions and these are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. I love these things. I can drive for 2-3 hours straight with no issue, where I've had issues with all of my past cars. One of the biggest selling points for me was when I sat in it for the first time.
same here, I fractured my spine years ago (all healed up now thank God), but these are definitely the best seats that I have sat in. they have incredible back support.

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
They feel comfortable to me, yet ironically I feel some lower back pain after sitting in them for +30 minute drives.

Kinda sucks.

6 foot and weigh a very lean 212-216. Never had car seats bother me before

athreeiron

First Name
adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Hey I’m 6’2” and weigh about 200 and I find the seats better than my regular Civic. At 62 years old I don’t see a problem.
I'm 5'9", 170 and once adjusted right I feel like the seats were made for me. I had a 2017 SI and the interior is almost identical to the Type R so I was used to where I needed to set my stuff up. I absolutely love the seats.

OP
OP
nxt3

nxt3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm 5'9", 170 and once adjusted right I feel like the seats were made for me. I had a 2017 SI and the interior is almost identical to the Type R so I was used to where I needed to set my stuff up. I absolutely love the seats.
I actually finally found a decent position a week or so ago. I think my desk setup at work was playing into my back hurting. The seats are fine, but something at work needs to change.

athreeiron

First Name
adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
I actually finally found a decent position a week or so ago. I think my desk setup at work was playing into my back hurting. The seats are fine, but something at work needs to change.
I feel you on that one. I sit at my desk all day for work too. Have spent years working on ergonomics and basically I just have to get up and walk around and stretch throughout the day. Glad you found your sweet spot! My 2015 SI gave me issues... None so far with the new Type R though.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I have to admit, if I get in the car to pick someone up at the airport and don't stop for a break on the way down or back, by the time I get home I'm ready to GTFO of that car and just sit on my recliner in the living room! It's not so much that it's uncomfortable necessarily...not sure how to describe it. It's worse if you're in garbage traffic for a long time where you have to shift gears a lot.
Sponsored