OP
nxt3

nxt3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey I’m 6’2” and weigh about 200 and I find the seats better than my regular Civic. At 62 years old I don’t see a problem.
That makes me feel worse lol. I'm 23.
Sponsored

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
I'm 5'11, 205 and LOVE the seats. Haven't done a road trip yet but my commute to work is 45-60 minutes each way and I've had no issues.

OP
OP
nxt3

nxt3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm 5'11, 205 and LOVE the seats. Haven't done a road trip yet but my commute to work is 45-60 minutes each way and I've had no issues.
My commute is 35-50min each day, one way, too. Is why it's so unbearable.

SalemTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Own: ‘17 PMM CTR, 2013 White Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Has anyone noticed the passenger front seat is slightly less in width in the seat area than the drivers side? It is that way in my vehicle at least. I know I’m in the drivers seat all the time so maybe it has stretch out a little but I’m pretty slim so not sure that is it? It is really noticeable when I seat on the passenger side how much tighter the bolstering is? I find the seat (drivers side) very comfortable. I did have to add a slim seat pad for more comfort for those longer trips due lack of natural padding on the derrière!:drive:

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
5’10” 170 lbs. I love the driver seat, I find it very comfortable. Maybe the 8-way adjustability makes a difference? The passenger seat is a little low with no option to raise it. But hey, I’m never in the passenger seat.

MonkeyBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #680 CW, 2011 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
Conversely i think this is the most comfortable seat i have ever had.

lawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM type r
Country flag
The Seat in my EXT isn't bad considering there's no lumbar.
Is the seat rail in this seat the same as in the hatch? Maybe OP can just get an aftermarket seat that has some lumbar support.

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
I'm sorry you feel that way. I drove the car home roughly 1k miles when I first bought it and had no back issues at all.

OP
OP
nxt3

nxt3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm sorry you feel that way. I drove the car home roughly 1k miles when I first bought it and had no back issues at all.
That's just it. I drove 100mi back from the dealership and I don't recall thinking it was uncomfortable.

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
That's just it. I drove 100mi back from the dealership and I don't recall thinking it was uncomfortable.
Interesting. So did the comfort level just got worse after the initial 100 miles? That's unfortunate.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
5'11" here, 175 pounds, I find the seats to be the most comfortable seats to be ever put in an automobile. Literally, I'm astonished that they managed a seat that is actually bolstered enough for track work (just about no factory seat is), while remaining comfortable for long drives, and isn't designed with 250 pound people in mind (a lot of seats are made bigger to fit the 230+ crowd, but then don't fit anyone under 200 well, not the case with the CTR).

Just an idea, if you haven't been coached on track driving, you might not being sitting in a position that works with a performance oriented seat.
Here's a typical setup procedure for someone around 6 feet tall.

1. adjust seat to the lowest position possible (at 6 feet every car you drive should have its seat in the lowest position, you can feel the car better during cornering, etc. In fact most seats aren't mounted low enough even in the lowest setting)
2. adjust seat forward or back until with the clutch completely pressed your left leg still has a slight bend in the knee. Most people sit too far from the steering wheel.
3. adjust seat recline to straight up, then either leave it, or go one notch back. Most people recline the drivers seat way too much.
4. adjust steering wheel height (up/down) so that the top of the wheel is just higher than the instrument cluster. That is, if the wheel was any lower, it would obstruct your tachometer from your vision.
5. adjust the telescoping of the wheel so that when your back is against the seat, if you stick out your arm and try to put it on top of the steering wheel, the wheel will hit your wrist.

This is a basic performance driving setup. If you're not used to it, it may feel awkward for a while, but try it for a few days, you might get used to it. It's great for whenever you're dive bombing canyon roads or a track, but also comfortable for 10 hour road trips.

I've test driven the Type R for a while and can't wait to start driving it on my commute (45-60 min, one way). I hate the seats in my Subaru!

Last edited:
OP
OP
nxt3

nxt3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Interesting. So did the comfort level just got worse after the initial 100 miles? That's unfortunate.
Nah, I think I was too hyped and didn't notice it.

5'11" here, 175 pounds, I find the seats to be the most comfortable seats to be ever put in an automobile. Literally, I'm astonished that they managed a seat that is actually bolstered enough for track work (just about no factory seat is), while remaining comfortable for long drives, and isn't designed with 250 pound people in mind (a lot of seats are made bigger to fit the 230+ crowd, but then don't fit anyone under 200 well, not the case with the CTR).

Here's a typical setup procedure for someone around 6 feet tall.

1. adjust seat to the lowest position possible (at 6 feet every car you drive should have its seat in the lowest position, you can feel the car better during cornering, etc. In fact most seats aren't mounted low enough even in the lowest setting)
2. adjust seat forward or back until with the clutch completely pressed your left leg still has a slight bend in the knee. Most people sit too far from the steering wheel.
3. adjust seat recline to straight up, then either leave it, or go one notch back. Most people recline the drivers seat way too much.
4. adjust steering wheel height (up/down) so that the top of the wheel is just higher than the instrument cluster. That is, if the wheel was any lower, it would obstruct your tachometer from your vision.
5. adjust the telescoping of the wheel so that when your back is against the seat, if you stick out your arm and try to put it on top of the steering wheel, the wheel will hit your wrist.

This is a basic performance driving setup. If you're not used to it, it may feel awkward for a while, but try it for a few days, you might get used to it. It's great for whenever you're dive bombing canyon roads or a track, but also comfortable for 10 hour road trips.
1. Already at the lowest position.
2. I'll make sure I'm doing this.
3. It's already upright--not reclined at all.
4. Steering wheel position is at a good height by your standards.
5. Not totally sure I understand what you mean. If I stick my arms straight out, it hits the wheel. That would always be the case, right? I dunno. If you wouldn't mind breaking that down for me further, I'd really appreciate it.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
Nah, I think I was too hyped and didn't notice it.

1. Already at the lowest position.
2. I'll make sure I'm doing this.
3. It's already upright--not reclined at all.
4. Steering wheel position is at a good height by your standards.
5. Not totally sure I understand what you mean. If I stick my arms straight out, it hits the wheel. That would always be the case, right? I dunno. If you wouldn't mind breaking that down for me further, I'd really appreciate it.
about 25 seconds into this video should explain number 5. The driver is Patrick Long; he has competed at Le Mans several times. I passed him at a track day once, but he was in a Lancer rental car :)
Sponsored