gtman Senior Member

CivicX addict
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Car(s):
    2017 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-L
    #1 gtman, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    I love Ultra Racing products, let me get that out of the way first. I had them on my previous car and have purchased two bars for my CivicX. So why did I swap out the UR front strut bar for the new DC Sports bar? Two reasons. One for aesthetics and one for convenience.

The UR bar is great. It's a nicely made one piece steel bar. It helps the car feel a bit more precise with fast steering changes and makes the front end more solid overall. What bugged me about the bar was the white powder coat not really matching anything and the fact it made access to the brake fluid a bit of a pain.

Enter the new DC Sports bar. Like the UR bar, it's a one piece steel bar. It's finished in a cool looking sort of matte gunmetal. And it allows easy access to the brake fluid. So, I went ahead and ordered one from MAPerformance (great company btw and I had it in a few business days).

https://www.maperformance.com/colle...upper-strut-bar-2016-2019-honda-civic-csb5532

Ok, so lets get to it. UR vs. DC Sports.

For starters, the install. The UR bar was definitely an easier install. The reason being, the DC bar is an extremely tight fit over the strut tower bolts. Unlike the UR bar, the holes in the bar aren't slotted and it takes some trial and error to get it to go on.

I had to carefully use a rubber mallet to get it properly seated. After that it's a piece of cake as you just torque down the bolts. I reused the six stock ones.

Ease of install goes to the UR bar. One point to Ultra Racing.

As far as looks, to me anyway, with my Cosmic Blue, the DC Sports bar is the winner. The point goes DC Sports handily.

IMG_20190612_113816-01.jpeg
    IMG_20190612_113827-01.jpeg

IMG_20190612_113806-01.jpeg

Performance-wise, as expected, both do the intended job well. That's a tie. One point each to UR and DC.

Finally let's talk about convenience and maintenance. The DC Sports bar allows easy access to the brake fluid reservoir. The UR bar doesn't. But the DC bar is lower and touches a couple hoses and battery cables that the UR bar doesn't. One the plus side, the DC bar does come with plastic sleeves that protect the hoses and cables but they aren't a perfect fit. Overall, a tie. One point to each bar.

The final tally? 3 points for UR and 3 points for DC. They're both top notch. It really boils down to personal preference. IMO, these are the two best bars available for the gen X Civic.

- gtman

Remm, 2tone, kill_you1 and 4 others thanked this.
  2. Shadowfighter

Shadowfighter Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 civic hatchback sport manual
    I'm glad to see another one piece strut bar. Would the price possible give the DC bar the upper hand since its cheaper?

I have the UR bar and I love it but my car is white so I'm sure that helps with how it looks lol.

Thank you for the review.

3. OP
    OP
    gtman

gtman Senior Member

CivicX addict
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Car(s):
    Good point on the price. MAPerformance has the DC Sports bar on sale for just a little over $100.

With your white car the UR bar is a great choice btw.

Shadowfighter thanked this.
  4. Matthyahuw

Matthyahuw Senior Member

First Name:
    Matthew
    Car(s):
    2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
    I didn't mean to push you to buy the DC Sports bar when I posted about it a couple times :confused1:

I did get it from MAPerformance as well...they were having a sale, plus a coupon code...couldn't go wrong! :cool:

5. OP
    OP
    gtman

gtman Senior Member

CivicX addict
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Car(s):
    Not at all. I love the UR bar but the color bugged me. Been waiting for another solid bar to come along. I know people love their Tanabe, Sirimoto and Cusco bars but I've always used non-hinged one piece bars in my cars.

Since I was the one who started promoting the UR bar here way back when, I wanted to let others know this bar is equally good.

6. jscm

jscm Senior Member

First Name:
    sam
    Car(s):
    2017 civic si
    this means you cant take advantage of the factory camber adjustments

7. ExVTEC

ExVTEC Senior Member

First Name:
    Elliot
    Car(s):
    2019 CTR
    I like the DC bar but I cant figure why it's not compatible with the type r.

8. abracadaniel_

abracadaniel_ Member

First Name:
    Daniel
    Car(s):
    2019 civic si coupe pwp
    because of your hood scoop

ExVTEC thanked this.
  9. FK7 Civic Pilot

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Hatchback
    #9 FK7 Civic Pilot, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    GtMan, thanks for the comparison. quick question, between the two, is there a noticeable weight difference between them? Trying to lighten my car where ever possible, so for me, saving a few ounces one way or the other would be a deciding factor if overall handling performance is equal.
    2nd question, from the pictures, looks like there's a gap between the DC bar and the strut tower, are you still using the hatchback stiffener plates, or is that part of the fit and finish of the DC bar? Running a UR bar now, which fits flush on my car.

10. OP
    OP
    gtman

gtman Senior Member

CivicX addict
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Car(s):
    The DC bar is slightly heavier. As far as those hatchback plates, I have a sedan so none of those on my car. Last but not least, there's no gap; the bar fits flush.

bbeem thanked this.
  11. bbeem

bbeem Senior Member

travel tech
    First Name:
    Ben
    Car(s):
    19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
    Looks nice. I went ultra for the rear as they seamed to be the only player. I think the my Tanabe works well for the front. People imagine m10 bolts at 80 ft lbs in the reinforced corners the weak point but at the mounts is the stiffest point. The weakness is going to be the lateral bar itself flexing. It's personal preference I suppose, I doubt someone could feel the difference between bars when behind the wheel.

ScarySnowflakes thanked this.