Type R wobbles under moderate to hard braking.

Severedninja

First Name
Severed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've noticed this mostly on the highway. When braking the car will wobble back and forth under moderate to hard braking. It feels like its going to crash. I know that with these brakes and front wheel drive the weight it going to come off the back end but should it really be this noticable and what should I do when it wobbles? It feels like if I pushed the brake down anymore I'd be going into a wall but if I have to emergency brake I don't want to have to worry about that.
Sponsored

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That almost sounds like warped rotors. Do you feel it in the pedal?

OP
OP
Severedninja

Severedninja

First Name
Severed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That almost sounds like warped rotors. Do you feel it in the pedal?
no and the car is brand new. It feels more like the back end is lifting enough to become unstable.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
no and the car is brand new. It feels more like the back end is lifting enough to become unstable.
Brand new as in how old? The brakes (any set of new brakes) need to be bedded in. Though the wobbling feel probably is something else. I didn't get the feeling in the Type R, but I know if the Focus RS I drove, the brakes felt like they had a feather trigger on them (the slightest tap went full out).

SBPerformance

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo, 2003 350z, 1998 CRV, 2019 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If its brand new I'd take it to the dealership then for them to diagnose it. If it feels dangerous to drive to the point it frightens you, just take it in.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If its brand new I'd take it to the dealership then for them to diagnose it. If it feels dangerous to drive to the point it frightens you, just take it in.
Ditto

OP
OP
Severedninja

Severedninja

First Name
Severed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Its got a little over 3 thousand miles. I have slammed the brakes a couple times to see what they can do but I haven't been tracking it. Do you think it could be the 245/35/18's I have under it since they are pretty skinny tires?

SBPerformance

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo, 2003 350z, 1998 CRV, 2019 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Its got a little over 3 thousand miles. I have slammed the brakes a couple times to see what they can do but I haven't been tracking it. Do you think it could be the 245/35/18's I have under it since they are pretty skinny tires?
If tires were out of balance it would shake all the time vs only braking. Are your lug nuts torqued? Are the lug nuts seated correct? Do the wheels sit flush with the hub? Maybe put stock wheels back on and see if it goes away.

s2ktaxi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '19 Civic Si, '17 Civic EX HB, '09 Civic Si, '01 S2000
Country flag
are the aftermarket wheels hub centric and if not, do you have the right sized rings? did the dealer remove the spring spacers used when shipping the car? what tires are you using? what tire pressure are you running? especially on the rear? is the wheel alignment within spec?

OP
OP
Severedninja

Severedninja

First Name
Severed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
are the aftermarket wheels hub centric and if not, do you have the right sized rings? did the dealer remove the spring spacers used when shipping the car? what tires are you using? what tire pressure are you running? especially on the rear? is the wheel alignment within spec?
The wheels are VMR 701's. I don't know what you mean hub centric or not, I was just told by VMR that they would fit nicely with a different type of lug nut. I run 35psi all around. I use pirelli Sottozero's for winter and I just bought some michilin p4s for summer. I'm still on the sottozeros.

s2ktaxi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '19 Civic Si, '17 Civic EX HB, '09 Civic Si, '01 S2000
Country flag
The wheels are VMR 701's. I don't know what you mean hub centric or not, I was just told by VMR that they would fit nicely with a different type of lug nut. I run 35psi all around. I use pirelli Sottozero's for winter and I just bought some michilin p4s for summer. I'm still on the sottozeros.
Yeah, winter tires have much less grip. when they are unloaded in the rear under hard braking, there's very little traction - they are essentially breaking loose and the VSA and ABS are keeping you straight. switch back to your summer tires and you'll be fine - or at least more stable under hard braking

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Sounds like it’s missing it’s hub ring if they are aftermarket like one user suggested above. You would get an identical feeling like this without them. I’m surprised you don’t feel it at high speeds also.

OP
OP
Severedninja

Severedninja

First Name
Severed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like it’s missing it’s hub ring if they are aftermarket like one user suggested above. You would get an identical feeling like this without them. I’m surprised you don’t feel it at high speeds also.
The car is very stable at high speeds. I tried it on the highway tonight and didnt get the same shake. I think that I have concluded that now because it is warming up that the winter tire compound is simply too hot to handle the brake forces. I am getting 265 michilin p4's next week to hopefully solve this issue. I will call and ask about having the ring installed with the new tires next week.

OP
OP
Severedninja

Severedninja

First Name
Severed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I checked forums and I guess they are "Drilled to fit the center bore of 64.1. No hub centric rings needed."

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Get rid of the winter tires those will make the car feel floaty and weird.
Sponsored