TrulyVU

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Also wanted to mention use one strip of 3m molding tape and tape it around the edge of each piece it will also create a seal from water. I did also use rubber washers on the screws attaching to the Hatch and spoiler legs where I drilled as a second precaution to be 100% sure no water will get in. I did not use the outer portion of the hatch hole to screw in. If I did this the rubber seals will not seal the holes I created when drilling. I screwed in directly to the hatch where I drilled the holes to screw on the spoiler. It was a pain but I used a claw gripper and angled it into the hatch. As for the middle black wing itself use only 3m on the upper portion as it is the only surface area that will be touching the sides. The lower portion use foam seal like in manny’s video as the gap between the sides and the wing are larger.

Last pointer. Take your time do it right the first time or you will spend more time taking it apart and fixing your mistakes.

If you bring in the spoiler to install I can see why some may get huge vibration and sounds. Without the 3m tape it will only rely on the screws for support. Some installers will more than likely only install the wing with the hardware you give them. Keep in mind after market pieces tends to not provide you everything for install.

24B761B2-8020-4632-AABF-6D1E106EEC89.jpeg

Thank you for the detailed guide!

Quick question, do you notice any vibration or flexing at higher speeds? Does the 3m tape help with the vibration at all? I really really want to buy this spoiler but I am worried about the vibration/flexing. I’m also worried that it’s gonna ruin the quality of the drive.

Thanks.
Sponsored

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vibration I see minimal at high speeds once hitting 65+ I have driven up to 90 and vibration is very minimal as well. Flexing I did not see. I get zero vibrations at low speeds. I also hear nothing in the cabin that some say they can hear vibrations. Not sure if the real type r wing vibrates slightly at high speeds as well since the real type r vibrates when closing the trunk also.

3m tape definitely helps as when test fitting with just screws just tugging back and forth slightly on the spoiler I could see it flex and can still move it. When closing the trunk I could hear the plastic hitting against the car.

Overall though I am very happy with it and really gave it the look I was going for. I have already got thumbs up driving around.

Last edited:

TrulyVU

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Vibration I see minimal at high speeds once hitting 65+ I have driven up to 90 and vibration is very minimal as well. Flexing I did not see. I get zero vibrations at low speeds. I also hear nothing in the cabin that some say they can hear vibrations. Not sure if the real type r wing vibrates slightly at high speeds as well since the real type r vibrates when closing the trunk also.

3m tape definitely helps as when test fitting with just screws just tugging back and forth slightly on the spoiler I could see it flex and can still move it. When closing the trunk I could hear the plastic hitting against the car.

Overall though I am very happy with it and really gave it the look I was going for. I have already got thumbs up driving around.
So then you don’t think it’s the 3m tape that helped with the minimal vibration and flexing? I’m just trying to figure out why some guys are complaining about the vibration but yours seemed to turn out really well. I’m hoping if I do my spoiler as well, that it will turn out like yours so I’m trying to see what it is that helped yours turn out so well lol.

Thanks.

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So then you don’t think it’s the 3m tape that helped with the minimal vibration and flexing? I’m just trying to figure out why some guys are complaining about the vibration but yours seemed to turn out really well. I’m hoping if I do my spoiler as well, that it will turn out like yours so I’m trying to see what it is that helped yours turn out so well lol.

Thanks.
I will have to say the 3m tape helped. Huge bet it would flex and vibrate a lot if it was screws only. I also believe screwing the spoiler directly to the hatch is better than screwing it to the outer portion of the hatch. You also seal your drilled hole and direct pull from the hatch when screwing down instead of through the outer portion. Installing spoilers, side skirts, lips, I have always used 3m molding tape. Must be a reason why dealers preinstall this stuff already when you buy spoilers from them. But make sure it’s real 3m molding tape as the fake stuff will not work. Pay the extra.

JusJai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback 2017
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone interested in buying the spoiler? I bought it and I changed my mind of adding the spoiler. $190. PLEASE MSG ME if interested!

TrulyVU

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I will have to say the 3m tape helped. Huge bet it would flex and vibrate a lot if it was screws only. I also believe screwing the spoiler directly to the hatch is better than screwing it to the outer portion of the hatch. You also seal your drilled hole and direct pull from the hatch when screwing down instead of through the outer portion. Installing spoilers, side skirts, lips, I have always used 3m molding tape. Must be a reason why dealers preinstall this stuff already when you buy spoilers from them. But make sure it’s real 3m molding tape as the fake stuff will not work. Pay the extra.
Thanks for all the tips man! I think you have convinced me to buy the spoiler lol

ZephyrFlash

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi there. I just got mine professionally installed today. I put the wing together and had someone do the drilling and putting it on the car. When I drove it home, I noticed the middle of the wing is shaky and flexing. Even at low speeds. I checked it when the car is stopped and it is solid. I bought the same one and have a coupe so just wanted to see if you had the same issue and is that the reason you got the stabilizing bars? I like the bars but I want to make sure it will fix the issue.

Thanks!!!
Yup I had issues at highway speeds which I why I installed the support rods. It made a huge difference and now there is little to no bounce/shakiness.

Cheers

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
3m around the edges and 3m on sides and feet. Spoiler 3m on the top and foam in the bottom. Like I said mine seems to sit solid. I definitely spent my time to install it. Here’s me spanking it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing FA9D630A-D4E9-407A-B91D-F264978D78D1

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing 3390A1A1-1D4C-4946-8994-0F98DBFCCE89

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing 21B1E05E-CD6D-4BBC-B6E6-5C9F6D1984D8

TrulyVU

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Anyone interested in buying the spoiler? I bought it and I changed my mind of adding the spoiler. $190. PLEASE MSG ME if interested!
Just PM’d you.

TrulyVU

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
They're literally $170 on ABS Dynamics, not shipped, lol.
Yeah but they don’t ship to Canada lol. They do have vendors in Canada but they’re trying to overcharge like crazy so didn’t want to go through them. Ended up buying on eBay with a decent shipping price. Also get peace of mind of not getting screwed over lol. Thanks for the tip tho

civic model x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Driving around I have notice trunk noise on hard surfaces. After investigating I found it was the hatch rubber feet that was causing the noise. This has nothing to do with the spoiler. Using a rubber mallet hammering around the hatch I found the rubber feet was making a lot of noise. I did notice after assembling my hatch back together they were loose and not tight like they originally were as the clips cave in when you pull them out. I didn’t think much of these rubber feet as I would figure the hatch would hold them tight when closed that was wrong. Took my magic 3m tape and no more noise. Be sure to do this when you put you hatch back together.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r wing 92DFA437-2AA6-44C4-ACAC-5843C2017748
Sponsored

Last edited: