Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anybody else done the type-r turbo swap on their 1.5 ( besides prl ) ?
Looking for more information on how to modify the turbo exactly.
Sponsored

MT_FK7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WOP Hatch
Country flag
I’d like to know this also - seems like it’s more modifying the routing of the charge piping than anything else.

There will be a readily available supply of accord turbos I’d think in the next few years. Would be cool to develop a kit to utilize them if they would be a performance upgrade... maybe a cheap way to make power over 5500 rpm.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
there's a slew of aftermarket turbos coming to this platform. PRl, 27 won, are some of them.

OP
OP
Hondanickx

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I already asked Prl but only got some answers .None of the detailed information to modify the turbo.
The exhaust side would mount onto the head flange without any problems.( or very very minor )
The biggest problem is the compressor outlet side is facing the wrong way and needs to turn 180 degrees and needs to be shortend .
Prl mentioned they did a lot of custom work and needed to pretty much destroy the compressor side to make it turn the other way. This means cutting the compressor side up to where the bypass valve is and rebuild a custom outlet with bypass valve mounted onto.The charge pipe on the turbo side also needs to be modified or customized along with the downpipe .

My Idea was to use the Accord turbo of the 2.0L which uses the IHI RHF5 turbo .That turbo is smaller then the type-r turbo and would be better suited for the 1.5.
Downside is the RHF5 would max out around aprox 300 - 350hp ,but for me its perfect since i don't want to build my engine .
I'm a welder and make a lot of my car parts myself so for me this option would be cheap(er) then a aftermarket turbo.And i'm also going to build my own downpipe and intercooler charge piping .
Something i also found out is the Accord 1.5 turbo uses a twin scroll turbo and has a special dual outlet port head for that turbo.
Might be possible to swap heads in the future to use a twin scroll turbo!
The accord 2.0 turbocharger also has a velocity stack/Radius milled into the compressor side inlet !

1.5t
Honda Civic 10th gen Type r turbo swap on 1.5 2017-honda-civic-announced-with-1-liter-and-15-liter-vtec-turbo-engines_2

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r turbo swap on 1.5 2018-honda-accord-2

Accord turbo

Type r Turbo
Honda Civic 10th gen Type r turbo swap on 1.5 Civic-Type-R-Engine_2

Accord 1.5T twin scroll

Honda Civic 10th gen Type r turbo swap on 1.5 s-l1600

Accord twin scroll head
Honda Civic 10th gen Type r turbo swap on 1.5 3248345

Accord 2.0 turbo intake side Velocity stack
Honda Civic 10th gen Type r turbo swap on 1.5 s-l1600

Last edited: