Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
welp...... just had first gear lockout three times again today alone.
Sponsored

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
Anyone who thinks these transmission problems are due solely to people not knowing how to drive their 35+ thousand dollar manual cars is extremely dense. This isn't just one or two isolated incidents, this is pages and pages and pages of many people who have been driving stick for a long time complaining about the same things. I don't love the idea of taking it here, but it's time for an official response from Honda at this point. Even though it will possibly affect sales moving forward, they need to step up to the plate and own their problem like all the people who stepped up to spend their coin on these cars. I feel it's high time we band together and issue a formal petition signed by anyone on the forum who wants to sign it saying we are ready for the problem to be acknowledged and if not to prepare for the class action lawsuit.

Last edited:

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
@JayDiem Do you think Honda is actively trying to figure out what to do for a recall or do you think they may try to sweep it under the rug?

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@JayDiem Do you think Honda is actively trying to figure out what to do for a recall or do you think they may try to sweep it under the rug?
I really don't know what they are up to behind closed doors. I think they have at bare minimum looked into it. For all we know they already have a fix but my gut tells me they're going to play dumb until we force their hand. Their number one priority is to sell (more) cars and admitting a problem exists will result in a bunch of noise from the car community and probably scare most of the people away who are or will be on the Type R fence. I am not really hating on Honda, but our priorities don't align, so lets light a little fire under their ass and remind them who their existing customers are. There will be no sweeping anything under the rug on this one. If they don't deal with integrity, they will still end up paying eventually and I imagine many brand loyal Type R owners can and will look in other directions for their future purchases.

Last edited:

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
welp...... just had first gear lockout three times again today alone.
Are you grinding any gears?

The teeth as you grind away could prevent the slider from going into the next gear. That will then lock you out.

I know people have said they're different problems - buuuut not entirely.

We need to have these transmissions taken out and examined.

A good transmission engineer would be able to check it out.

In general all these problems could be the gear set is just shit material or material that is not strong enough to withstand the current issues across all the components (as I had pointed out several posts earlier).

I also wonder how the tolerance is across gear set suppliers, what is the measured backlash?

Last edited:

Type_RawR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8 #14116 / 2008 FG2
Country flag
I would suggest having a look at this video if you have not already seen it, this is the guy that won the battle for 8th gen owners myself included and the strategy he employed has been proven to work. To all of you having transmission problems I feel your pain though I am not currently experiencing it. I had second and third gearset replaced on my fg2 because of the grinding issues, it got so bad I once remember having to literally kick the shifter out of gear to get the car home.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Are you grinding any gears?

The teeth as you grind away could prevent the slider from going into the next gear. That will then lock you out.

I know people have said they're different problems - buuuut not entirely.

We need to have these transmissions taken out and examined.

A good transmission engineer would be able to check it out.

In general all these problems could be the gear set is just shit material or material that is not strong enough to withstand the current issues across all the components (as I had pointed out several posts earlier).

I also wonder how the tolerance is across gear set suppliers, what is the measured backlash?
I haven't had any gear grinds. My shifts are getting noticeably more crunchy/notchy

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
According to this video we will be waiting for 5-6 years if we follow these steps. Lets take the lessons from this guy and expedite things a bit. Sounds like its time to find a lab to send in and analyze our trans fluid and get that ball rolling. The bad PR from a class action lawsuit will far outweigh negative publicity from a recall and it probably wouldn't have taken them 6 years to address the DC5/FG2 trans problem if they had a little extra push in the right direction from the word go. We already know how they will handle it if we don't amp up the pressure. They need to know we are not going to play the waiting around for 5-6 year game this time and class action lawsuit affecting every single Type R and mostly first owners across the board should be enough to get their attention. With Honda's last transmission snafu, it won't look so good when their past trans problems and character gets put on trial in an actual courtroom and they would never let it get there. My $0.02.

Type_RawR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8 #14116 / 2008 FG2
Country flag
Feel free to pony up that cash for the lawyer and I will gladly sign a petition and send you oem tranny fluid with 3700 miles of use on it. :nixon:

Dark-R

First Name
vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Should I change the fluid and check the level after few gear grinds?

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
According to this video we will be waiting for 5-6 years if we follow these steps. Lets take the lessons from this guy and expedite things a bit. Sounds like its time to find a lab to send in and analyze our trans fluid and get that ball rolling. The bad PR from a class action lawsuit will far outweigh negative publicity from a recall and it probably wouldn't have taken them 6 years to address the DC5/FG2 trans problem if they had a little extra push in the right direction from the word go. We already know how they will handle it if we don't amp up the pressure. They need to know we are not going to play the waiting around for 5-6 year game this time and class action lawsuit affecting every single Type R and mostly first owners across the board should be enough to get their attention. With Honda's last transmission snafu, it won't look so good when their past trans problems and character gets put on trial in an actual courtroom and they would never let it get there. My $0.02.
On my old FA5. Was doing the grinding when quick shifting.
Adjusted the clutch pedal like a video out there suggested and problem went away.

I heard that on the TypeR you can't do the same.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
On my old FA5. Was doing the grinding when quick shifting.
Adjusted the clutch pedal like a video out there suggested and problem went away.

I heard that on the TypeR you can't do the same.
adjusting the rod out never fixed the grinds in my 8th and 9th si's. how many miles were you grind free after your adjustment?

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag