Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
If I know anything from Mini fiasco, it either won't happen or happen only after the next gen is launched. Plus at this point, no one can even confirm that this is "as designed", "Driver fault" or actual issue with transmission requiring recall. Just a disclaimer - I don't own Type R, I do own a Si and I want to buy Type R. But issues like this and the dealer mark ups are keeping me away. I made the mistake once of buying by completely giving in to temptation - not doing it again.
There's too many people with grinds in 2nd and lockouts in 4th for it to be user error. Honda knows this.
Sponsored

chandlervt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Subaru WRX
Country flag
There's too many people with grinds in 2nd and lockouts in 4th for it to be user error. Honda knows this.
I am not calling it “user error”. It’s a design issue which forces the user to use it certain way. There is no harm in trying it.

apk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR RR
Country flag
I will offer that its an issue with the drivetrain as mine is completely random. Smooth shifting some time and other times crunchy. I am leaning to a linkage/engine mount issue. I hope they are just having trouble figuring it out as its complicated.

CWCTR2018

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Never had an issue driving my type bar and it’s a 2018 sometimes I find that people don’t know how to drive a manual on this board

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Never had an issue driving my type bar and it’s a 2018 sometimes I find that people don’t know how to drive a manual on this board
There are definitely those that don't know how but unfortunately that's not the case here... unless the ones here that don't know how to drive only grind second gear and get locked out of fourth.

MYTYPE

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I will offer that its an issue with the drivetrain as mine is completely random. Smooth shifting some time and other times crunchy. I am leaning to a linkage/engine mount issue. I hope they are just having trouble figuring it out as its complicated.
In agreement as well in regards to the linkage/engine mount possibility. However, in terms of figuring it out, I think they already have, Honda is just deciding how about to go through with the announcement/recall. The Rev match issue was a relatively easy fix on a finite # of cars. This is more widespread and a more expensive fix. As for those who are saying you have to learn how to drive a manual six speed, adjust to the limitations of this six speed.....C'mon man! I've driven a manual for 31 years, and none have felt like this. I'm not the one to rip through the gears, but this tranny should be able to accommodate a moderate spirited drive.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I have a 2018 with about 1400 miles on it now. I have never had a lockout issue when downshifting, but I am generally heel-toe downshifting when I drive, so that may make a difference. And I turned off the rev-match on about the second day, right after I figured out why my heel-toe was being screwed up. I have, however had issues with "grinding" on 1-2. I wouldn't really call the sound "grinding", missing a shift on a 1-ton pickup with a granny-gear 4-speed, now that is what I would call a grinding sound. But it is a clearly metallic gearset not properly interfacing.

The grinding has happened to me a couple of times during easy driving, usually when the trans is cold and I might be a bit lazy on the clutch. I have over a half-million miles driving manual vehicles ranging from 3-on-the-tree trucks, to big-block 4-speed Corvettes, to an 89 Accord, and a whole bunch other vehicles in between. I have most recently been driving a 5-speed Mazda B2500, and it took some muscle memory reconditioning when I first got in the R. Compared to the B2500, the shift travel distance on the R is very short, deliberate, and fast, but the clutch travel is still reasonably long. So my timing was a bit off at first, and it has taken me a while to speed up my foot and slow down my hand to match.

I don't really have much of an issue with any kind of normal driving, but I absolutely can't speed shift 1-2 in this car at high power and RPM conditions without going into gear before the synchronizers have 100% done their job. The only way I can get it cleanly into gear on the 1-2 is to very deliberately slow my brain down and think: let off the throttle, push in the clutch to the floor, get solidly into second, then let the clutch out and apply throttle. It is in reality probably not all that slow, and in fact sounds about like most of the videos of autocrossers shifting gears, but it is way slower than what I am used to being able to do. And it is slow enough that the engine falls out of boost and the turbo has to respool (like what I hear with autocrossers). It isn't a big delay, but it is certainly annoying and slower than it could be. Maybe the lag is part of the ECU mapping, maybe intentional and/or re-programmable, I don't really know. What I do know is that I have drag raced manual cars for years, and I have never been in something with a performance transmission where I could outperform the transmission with shifting/clutch speed. Until now.

I have read all of the theories, and I just don't see any type of clutch damper being the issue, at least if they function the way I understand. The damper should be a one-way function, only operating to slow down the clutch pedal engagement. By that point in the shift, the gears should already be synchronized, so the speed of the engagement process shouldn't make any difference. It might produce a better feel for clutch modulation, but that is a separate issue. It seems to me a more likely culprit is something not allowing the input shaft to 100% decouple from the engine when the clutch is all the way in. That could be a dragging clutch due to improper release geometry/equipment adjustment, a dragging throwout bearing or input bearing, or maybe some other high-tech trickery within the transmission not functioning properly. Fluid issues creating extra stiction could also easily be a factor. Either way, I expected better from the trans in this car, and would like to figure out if there is a solution to the problem, or if it is just a design limitation that I will have to live with, because I have no intention of getting rid of the car over this. I will just live with it if no other fix can be found.

And no matter how I shift it, when it goes into the next gear under heavy power, the motor mounts slam hard into a bump stop or something rigid. These cars should have been supplied with a mount design more suited to the job. It is a bit unnerving every time I shift it aggressively.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@Florence_NC I feel the same way about shifting 1-2. I have to make myself deliberately slow down and make every movement deliberate. I don't have to do that with the other gears. I can fly right through them.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I just had another 1st gear lock out at a drive through. 9,000 miles in and this is my 5-6th lock out.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
I just had another 1st gear lock out at a drive through. 9,000 miles in and this is my 5-6th lock out.
In my (admittedly limited) experience with Honda MTs, 1st gear "lockout" is pretty normal. Had it all the time in my old Civic. Have it occasionally in the CTR. I put lockout in quotes because I doubt you're still sitting in that drive through and while you might have decided to start in 2nd, I'm guessing a quick cycle of the clutch pedal would let you get into 1st. A "real" lockout in my mind is what keeps you from going into reverse when the car is moving forward.

fiachamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 CTR, DC5 RSX Type S
Country flag
I've only ever owned and driven manual transmission cars (2 x DC5 Type S and this CTR). I'm also getting the second gear grind occasionally. Sometimes when I shift quickly, sometimes when I shift slow. Fortunately, I'm not into drag racing but it is surprising. RSX Type S had this issue going into 3rd which is more annoying since 2-3 happens a LOT MORE at the track. Other than that, absolutely mind blown by what Honda has done with this Chassis and Drivetrain.

:also prays/will call dealer for Honda solution to 2nd gear grind:

Dark-R

First Name
vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I have about 6k miles on the car and grind my 2nd gear about 5 to 6 times, grind 4th about 1 time. at first, I thought it was me, since when I first got the car, I was driving very aggressively. after few mouths of ownership, I started to drive more mild as my daily and I still grind my 2nd at 3000 rpm, normal shifting. I am pretty sure my foot is all the way down on the clutch.

Now, I am starting to worry about my 2nd gear and transmission. I hope Honda will offer a recall.

Have any of you try to take it back to service for a warranty? do you think the transmission fluid is low?

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have about 6k miles on the car and grind my 2nd gear about 5 to 6 times, grind 4th about 1 time. at first, I thought it was me, since when I first got the car, I was driving very aggressively. after few mouths of ownership, I started to drive more mild as my daily and I still grind my 2nd at 3000 rpm, normal shifting. I am pretty sure my foot is all the way down on the clutch.

Now, I am starting to worry about my 2nd gear and transmission. I hope Honda will offer a recall.

Have any of you try to take it back to service for a warranty? do you think the transmission fluid is low?
Yeah, It's funny how so many people are trying to say that we just need to learn how to drive etc etc.

I'm glad some are not having this issue but there are too many people having the same exact problems for it to just be user error.

Driveitlikeustoleit

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lada
Don't listen to the people who keep saying, "just learn to drive a manual", there is obviously an issue with the Type R transmission, and one day Honda will bring this to light and come up with a fix.
With a performance car you really shouldn't have to drive it like a granny in order to stop the grinding from occurring.
Good luck to those who have this issue, must be very frustrating.
Peace.
Sponsored