First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
Country flag
Just bought a 2018 type r #18467
She’s a grinding lockout pig this is a problem big time... I have gtr also an it’s had it’s issues but not out of the box like this car an I understand I can’t compare a 35k car to a 2012 gtr that was around 90-95k new.. but this is ridiculous steering wheel was off engine mounts suck. I love the car don’t get me wrong but there is some serious quality control issues going on in England an japan where the trans an car is essembled. Engine surprisingly made in good old USA of Ohio is great what gives with these issues an to everyone out there that says they have absolutely no issues your either one of the very lucky ones or your lying to yourself an people on here. Not trying to come off as being rude but 18467 cars an still the issues I am having there’s a lot more I can guarantee it. People need to come together an complain Honda won’t quit selling the cars in the US trust me there making a mint on these an laughing all the way to the bank. There needs to be a fix without throwing your warranty out the window or replacing your trans at Honda with one that will do it again an then hurt resale value nobody who has this issue an just lives with it is helping this car u guys are hurting it an the value of the car.
Sponsored

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
I don't have any grinding issues in my 2018 Type-R in any gear. I don't know what to tell you other than that.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
#00137 here. I get. Locked out of 4th when downshifting and I get the occasional grind when upshifting to 2nd. My steering wheel is off center a bit to the left.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
CTR with a little over 2,000 miles checking in.

You perceive your alignment is off and your first inclination is to blast about it on a forum without even taking it to the dealership first? Did you even test drive this car? Why did you accept delivery if it's so terrible out of the box? You should have made them work on the issues before buying, or said it was a lemon and walked if these issues are so glaring and obvious.

One of your rambling complaints is, "Engine mounts suck." Ok, elaborate please. Please tell me how you've evaluated the engine mounts and know they suck on a brand new car. Is this because you broke them immediately?

"Grinding lockout pig". What gears? How about a video of it grinding?

Last edited:

kevv_FK8

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2022 Honda Pilot SE, 2013 Honda Civic
Country flag
2018 with 1,300 miles no issues to report here.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2018 model with 6900 on the clock and still running stock oil and trans fluid. No grinds. Random notchy shifts yes, but no grinds.

OP
OP
turboshawn

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wouldn’t let a dealership work on a ten speed bicycle buddy an there was no test drives an wasn’t that noticeable on drive home it kinda got worse as I drove it same as trans. Shifted like butter for first few days then the 2nd gear grind an 5th to 4th lockout started an horrible notchy shifting. Been in 3 other than mine an they all do same thing mine does. Third person... Oh but mine don’t an mine don’t... don’t know what your problem is how long u been driving stick for bro um like 20 years think I know what I am doing... Instead of looking at everyone like oh mine don’t grind jokes on u haha u got a lemon. I am happy there’s some people that don’t have issues. Don’t bash me because I want to voice my opinion that it’s 2018 car 18467 an it still an issue u guys on here have talk about since the car first came out

OP
OP
turboshawn

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Engine mounts are the worst in this car period out of any Honda I have drivin in the past 20 years period.... there junk u can feel the motor rock when u shift it binds shifting sometimes

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
I wouldn’t let a dealership work on a ten speed bicycle buddy an there was no test drives an wasn’t that noticeable on drive home it kinda got worse as I drove it same as trans. Shifted like butter for first few days then the 2nd gear grind an 5th to 4th lockout started an horrible notchy shifting. Been in 3 other than mine an they all do same thing mine does. Third person... Oh but mine don’t an mine don’t... don’t know what your problem is how long u been driving stick for bro um like 20 years think I know what I am doing... Instead of looking at everyone like oh mine don’t grind jokes on u haha u got a lemon. I am happy there’s some people that don’t have issues. Don’t bash me because I want to voice my opinion that it’s 2018 car 18467 an it still an issue u guys on here have talk about since the car first came out
You're telling me you literally signed the papers with the FI guy without any contingencies before they even let you take the car around the block? I had to arrange the paperwork and agree on a price, but they definitely let me test drive before I signed on the dotted line.

You've driven 4 Type R's and you think they all have bad shifters? Wowee wow. How did you not try those before you bought yours? And why did you think yours would be different if you drove 4 and hated the shifter in all of them? I've driven two and both were great. Maybe it's not the car, maybe it's the driver? 20 years? 20 years of solid manual driving? All of your cars have been stick in 20 years, including your GTR and Tundra?

If you won't let the dealership touch your car, I don't know what to tell you. Warranty will cover all, and if it's truly a lemon you can demand a new car. This seems more like buyer's remorse to me.

OP
OP
turboshawn

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Friends cars buddy an I paid little under msrp for the type r it doesn’t matter at no need to drive a car with 7 miles on it. I buy cars all the time no need to test drive I figured I knew what It was an it wouldn’t have these issues. I can see your a Honda loyalist or if I say anything bad about this car your gonna jump on me I am just stating facts that everyone else is well let me say that again that most people are having don’t want u critiquing everything I say. I am not on here to get in a war of words just stating facts that I have issues with my car. So everyone know that there still issues if they would like to purchase one an are on the fence about it. Not everyone has 35k to throw around I am fortunate that I do. Just letting people know theres still issues with the type r

OP
OP
turboshawn

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Probably will just sell it another reason u see used ones. My one buddy that bought his got it used with 2100 miles an same issues I have. Most people don’t want to deal with it or hassle of going to the dealer 10-20 time they just get rid of the car hence why there’s a lot of used type r’s for sale. I understand some people impulse buy an regret it but like I said I actually want to like the car it’s a blast to drive an rip around in it truly is the best handle front wheel drive car I have driven but it just makes it not fun when u have some of these issues all I am saying

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Oh but mine don’t an mine don’t... don’t know what your problem is how long u been driving stick for bro um like 20 years think I know what I am doing...
I've been driving a manual for 27 years, and if I had the issues you are having I would bring it in to the dealer like everyone else with common sense who has owned a car with a warranty. Also, is your badge number 18467 indicative of them building 18467 Type-R for the US market? I didn't know that.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Oh ok, for sure, nobody should buy the Type R based on your issues that you refuse to let a dealer look at.

On the face of it, your logic is awful. Your buddy has a used one with 2,100 miles with the "same issues" along with 3 other Type R's you've driven...but you thought you could buy a new one with no issues and you didn't need to test drive it because you buy cars all the time. Oh, ok...

When you're talking shit about the motor mounts...I'm starting to think this is some serious trolling. You literally made this post to say, "I'm having issues and nobody is allowed to try to solve them but anyone looking to buy a Type R needs to know I'm having issues." Good post. If you have issues, there is a subforum where you can post for solutions.

OP
OP
turboshawn

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
94 db8 gsr
91 Taurus sho
Srt4 neon
Wrx
Sti
08 Si
S2000
Dump trucks while working for friends etc... could go on an on bro
I think I know what I am doing did I bash u about u knowing how to drive a standard or stick
Sponsored