Type R steering wheel install

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just pull your wheel and turn it straight and put it back on. It might take a few times to get it perfect.

I was finally able to install my steering wheel today, but after assembling it my steering wheel sits misaligned, like pictured below. Does anyone know where I went wrong so I can try fixing this tomorrow?

20170926_173859.png
Sponsored

aggieg33k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
On a side note, can usable paddle shifters be easily added to an auto touring?

MarshX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey, guys so I wanted to share with you guys my install of the Type R steering wheel on my 17 Hatchback. I hope I posted this right lol install was easy I had a couple techs from my Honda dealer help with the install. If anyone is interested in the part number its 78501-TGH-A90ZA
20170608_125131.jpg
20170608_165130.jpg
20170608_170537.jpg
20170608_171617.jpg
20170608_172203.jpg
20170608_172656.jpg
Do you have to disconnect the battery for this process??

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
Prob safer lol but I didn’t when I did mine.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Do you have to disconnect the battery for this process??
People will tell you "it can't hurt", but in actuality, you don't need to. When you disconnect the harness for the airbag, it is not going to be able to deploy because no power can be transmitted to the airbag. If you are really overcautious, you can disconnect the harness from the passenger seat so you are not in front of the steering wheel.

One benefit of not disconnecting the battery is you can move the wheel around to position it in the best location for each step of the process. If you don't have it connected, you would really struggle to move the wheel . . . . it is possible but it will require quite a bit of effort (moreover, I know that doing so forcibly could screw up your alignment and steering . . . . don't ask me how I know this). If you want to keep the steering wheel stationary, you would have to contort your body and hands to accomplish things.

I have installed and uninstalled a whole bunch of steering wheels on Hondas, BMWs, etc., and those are my thoughts.

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
People will tell you "it can't hurt", but in actuality, you don't need to. When you disconnect the harness for the airbag, it is not going to be able to deploy because no power can be transmitted to the airbag. If you are really overcautious, you can disconnect the harness from the passenger seat so you are not in front of the steering wheel.

One benefit of not disconnecting the battery is you can move the wheel around to position it in the best location for each step of the process. If you don't have it connected, you would really struggle to move the wheel . . . . it is possible but it will require quite a bit of effort (moreover, I know that doing so forcibly could screw up your alignment and steering . . . . don't ask me how I know this). If you want to keep the steering wheel stationary, you would have to contort your body and hands to accomplish things.

I have installed and uninstalled a whole bunch of steering wheels on Hondas, BMWs, etc., and those are my thoughts.
Thanks for the details.
Do you know if type r steering wheel fits 2018 civic HB, I have manual.
I am abit confused.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
The R wheel is too loud for the Si and just silly in anything that does a one wheel peel.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The typeR wheel isn't loud at all. In pictures it's a much brighter red than it really is. Actual color is a dark crimson red. Feels so nice