Type R Shift Knob on SI

• Thread starter Deleted member
  • Start date
  • Watchers 7

Deleted member

Will the SI boot mount to the fk8 Type R flange nut? I've seen the Type R shift knob on an SI, but without the flange nut, the boot sags. I'd rather have everything snugly in place.

Thanks!
John

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R Shift Knob on SI Screenshot_20200114-214312~2
Sponsored

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes it will, i have this in mine and it goes right on.

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here’s a pic.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R Shift Knob on SI 35761A12-1671-4A56-80BB-CE584F8CB346

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I actually prefer the Si shift knob over the Type R. When I had my Type R that thing would burn the crap out of my hand.
I hear you on that. I’ve gone through a few shift knobs and the R, for now, is the one I personally find more comfortable even if it burns me, or freezes my hand in the morning.

Friction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All leather is where its at (i.e. OEM evo knob). Metal on the shift knob is the worst... Its too damn cold in the winter and way too damn hot in the summer.

OP
OP

Deleted member

The eagle has landed, but it just started to snow. Duly noted on the extreme temperature feedback.

However, I drive with gloves in winter, and I plan to drape a small microfiber cloth over it in summer. I keep the cloth in the glovebox for dust and fingerprints.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type R Shift Knob on SI IMG_20200118_125350

Last edited by a moderator:

Friction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Even when covered it's going to get hot and retain that heat for a good while.

The eagle has landed, but it just started to snow. Duly noted on the extreme temperature feedback.

However, I drive with gloves in winter, and I plan to drape a small microfiber cloth over it in summer. I keep the cloth in the glovebox for dust and fingerprints.

IMG_20200118_125350.jpg

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree the SI one looks nicer
There's so much thing going on with the SI shift knob, metal, engraved details, leather, and the red base ball stitching....

The FK8 shift knob is just, a knob made from metal. I think it's a tradition they carry from the first type r, titanium knob.

OP
OP

Deleted member

There's so much thing going on with the SI shift knob, metal, engraved details, leather, and the red base ball stitching....

The FK8 shift knob is just, a knob made from metal. I think it's a tradition they carry from the first type r, titanium knob.
This!

I feel the SI shift knob is trying too hard with the different textures, stitching, bevel. I love the simplicity of the Type R.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I loved the OEM shift knob. It looked good with the ride, was spherical, and its lightness was easy to play with. Yes it was slightly small and got hot on the metal part under the sun, but given the OEM shifter and clutch it is very livable. I would have preferred it over most all aftermarket knobs I have seen in the big thread.

Then I got a Raceseng spherology weighted knob because I knew I was getting an Acuity short shifter. When I put them both in, they certainly felt right together. I think I needed the weight with the new tension provided by this shifter. To confirm it, I put the OEM shift knob back on the other day, and it was laughable. The feel with the lightness integrated with the shifter was putrid. It is not recommended that you combine the two, unless you like the feeling of all the underpinnings. It just didn't feel right.

So if you go to a different shifter, then a weighted shift knob really does feel it is important.

OP
OP

Deleted member

I loved the OEM shift knob. It looked good with the ride, was spherical, and its lightness was easy to play with. Yes it was slightly small and got hot on the metal part under the sun, but given the OEM shifter and clutch it is very livable. I would have preferred it over most all aftermarket knobs I have seen in the big thread.

Then I got a Raceseng spherology weighted knob because I knew I was getting an Acuity short shifter. When I put them both in, they certainly felt right together. I think I needed the weight with the new tension provided by this shifter. To confirm it, I put the OEM shift knob back on the other day, and it was laughable. The feel with the lightness integrated with the shifter was putrid. It is not recommended that you combine the two, unless you like the feeling of all the underpinnings. It just didn't feel right.

So if you go to a different shifter, then a weighted shift knob really does feel it is important.
If I swap the shifter, I might go with the Type R. I was reading good things about that mod somewhere on the forum the other night.

Back in 2000, I had a Neuspeed short throw in my '97 Civic. That was a really fast throw. Are they still a contender today?
Sponsored