Type R Owners, How much do you make? Financial advisers chime in.

diakonia

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R, Accord, CRV
Country flag
These days you can buy a real fancy coffee machine for one tenth of that annual cost, it'll make the coffee for you. I think it's a lifestyle thing - you certainly don't go to Starbucks if you love coffee.
French press: grind fresh coffee beans, pour boiling water over grounds, 4 minutes later...
I’m getting in my Type-R heading to work. Better than Starbucks any day.
Sponsored

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
French press: grind fresh coffee beans, pour boiling water over grounds, 4 minutes later...
I’m getting in my Type-R heading to work. Better than Starbucks any day.
I do the same (only 3 min though?), but even if people don't want to go through the trouble, a $400 Breville machine will grind the coffee and make it for you reliably. Another thing someone mentioned is going out to lunch - it's crazy expensive nowadays, $20/day just to go out for lunch.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I do the same (only 3 min though?), but even if people don't want to go through the trouble, a $400 Breville machine will grind the coffee and make it for you reliably. Another thing someone mentioned is going out to lunch - it's crazy expensive nowadays, $20/day just to go out for lunch.
Eating out is a waste of money. You can eat at home, make healthier food, and don't have to worry about people spitting in your food, using food that fell on the floor, or not washing hands. Plus you don't have to give your credit card to a stranger, out of your eyesight where they can steal the info.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
“I don’t have time to make coffee at home” ... but they magically have time to drive out of the way and then wait on a line. I swear some treat the Starbucks cup like it’s an accessory
Probably the same people that can't put down their cell phone when they drive. It's become more than an accessory & they can't think or function without out. It's become their brain.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Probably the same people that can't put down their cell phone when they drive. It's become more than an accessory & they can't think or function without out. It's become their brain.
Dam, that's so true

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Eating out is a waste of money. You can eat at home, make healthier food, and don't have to worry about people spitting in your food, using food that fell on the floor, or not washing hands. Plus you don't have to give your credit card to a stranger, out of your eyesight where they can steal the info.
^^This!!
If only I could convince myself lol

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
My dad gave us an Appleby's gift card. After ignoring it for like a year we decided to use it. Food sucked, and a few days later I checked the gift card, and it was drained. Someone used it twice at the same restaurant after we used it. Employees I assume. Good to know they eat their own food I guess.

I contacted Appleby's and they ignored me.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
My dad gave us an Appleby's gift card. After ignoring it for like a year we decided to use it. Food sucked, and a few days later I checked the gift card, and it was drained. Someone used it twice at the same restaurant after we used it. Employees I assume. Good to know they eat their own food I guess.

I contacted Appleby's and they ignored me.
They probably wrote down the gift card number when they walked away to the register. The U.S. is behind in that regard. There's countries where they bring a portable machine for you can pay at your table, so everyone can see what's happening.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I remember having a bank account (US$) paying 11%.

Today my savings account pays something like 0.08%....
At the same time, credit cards have typically two digit APR's. It's the widest gap between bank account and credit card interests ever. That's how US banks are making up the losses they suffered during the crisis they caused about 10 years ago.

Still, some people think dealers are stealers because they overcharged them a $800 fee for nothing or some bogus service, which is 3% of the car price....better look at your bank and your insurance....

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
I remember having a bank account (US$) paying 11%.

Today my savings account pays something like 0.08%....
At the same time, credit cards have typically two digit APR's. It's the widest gap between bank account and credit card interests ever. That's how US banks are making up the losses they suffered during the crisis they caused about 10 years ago.

Still, some people think dealers are stealers because they overcharged them a $800 fee for nothing or some bogus service, which is 3% of the car price....better look at your bank and your insurance....
Just get an higher interest savings account - they offer anywhere from 2.1-2.3% (Link) which is better than 0.x% that big banks offer. There are other investments you can get - just be smart with your money, and don't buy things you can't afford. Just because you can pay your monthly payment doesn't mean you can afford your car. Never pay interest on credit cards; always pay your monthly balance in full!

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Just get an higher interest savings account - they offer anywhere from 2.1-2.3% (Link) which is better than 0.x% that big banks offer. There are other investments you can get - just be smart with your money, and don't buy things you can't afford. Just because you can pay your monthly payment doesn't mean you can afford your car. Never pay interest on credit cards; always pay your monthly balance in full!
These online accounts with ridiculous 2% rates and zero services (no checking for example) might be okay for some people, but are not worth the bother for me.
I don't have any substantial money in savings/checking accounts.
It is disputable whether 2% with these accounts is indeed better than 0.08 % with all services.

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
These online accounts with ridiculous 2% rates and zero services (no checking for example) might be okay for some people, but are not worth the bother for me.
I don't have any substantial money in savings/checking accounts.
It is disputable whether 2% with these accounts is indeed better than 0.08 % with all services.
I have two accounts at online only banks and they have offer better service my brick and mortar bank!. Ally is a very popular one - they offer checking (interest rate on Ally checking exceeds brick and mortar savings account typically), savings (currently 2.2% APY), excellent customer service, and other services. They have great reviews as well. You can take your 0.08% but this is a pretty obvious choice for me. I keep most of my emergency fund in online savings, as well as my savings for a house, and other goodies (like cars!). You definitely are missing out.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
You’ll be pretty shocked how much of a difference 2% vs .08% adds up over time.

EdwinDrn

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, 19' Civic Si
Country flag
It's interesting to read this thread as I was in a similar position almost 2 decades ago. I was graduating college and was able to buy my then dream car - a new 2001 Prelude 5spd. I had a paid for trade-in so I didn't finance the entirety which was around $27K MSRP or so I think (that is around $40K or so now adjusted for inflation). I started out making a bit less than $50K in my career but as this was the first car I every modified (keep in mind.....this is right around the time the FIRST Fast&Furious movie came out so that market was taking off in the mainstream) wayyyyyy too much of my left over monthly income was going towards the car (Mugen header and cat back exhaust aint cheap! haha). I went back to stock (bolt ons mostly) and traded it in for a new Maxima 6spd a couple of years later which I regret to this day. I say all that to let you know I definitely know where you're coming from but looking back, I was too young/too impulsive to own that car then even though it's filled with great memories. While it may not make sense on paper, there is a lot to be said about buying your first nice car that you've wanted for a while.

Now, I make several times what I made back then but am looking at a less expensive car. Why? Well, priorities change and I've been through a dozen or so nice cars since that first Prelude as well as having a dedicated sports car for occassional use now. The CTR should hold good resale value so if your life changes in the next few years (new house, marriage, kids, etc) you can probably get out from under that car relatively painlessly. One thing I would definitely NOT let sway my decision is my friends' opinions of what car I should be driving. While I normally hate social media cliches, I did see one made by a female not too long ago that went along the lines of "if you ain't feeding, financing or f&#king me....don't tell me how to spend my money".
Ed Camden from OG, didnt know you were on here!

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag
You guys are crazy.....one guy in here talking about buying a $40k car and he makes $70k a year and lives at home...WOW lol. By comparison i made well over $100k, am looking at buying an Si and have no debt whatsoever. Some people like being car rich and broke as fuck i guess lol Im just joking, people love their cars. But most financial people will probably tell you not to spend more than 1/4 of your salary on the price of a car. People have a hard time swallowing that though, but it is a good rule of thumb. Definitely dont want to be spending more than 1/3 for sure!
Sponsored

Last edited: