Type R Owners, How much do you make? Financial advisers chime in.

Tags:
  1. diakonia

diakonia Senior Member

Printer / Photographer
    First Name:
    Alan
    Car(s):
    Civic Type-R, Accord, CRV
    French press: grind fresh coffee beans, pour boiling water over grounds, 4 minutes later...
    I’m getting in my Type-R heading to work. Better than Starbucks any day.

typemismatch thanked this.
  2. VarmintCong

VarmintCong Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 6MT Sport hatch
    I do the same (only 3 min though?), but even if people don't want to go through the trouble, a $400 Breville machine will grind the coffee and make it for you reliably. Another thing someone mentioned is going out to lunch - it's crazy expensive nowadays, $20/day just to go out for lunch.

3. Hondaman_MI

Hondaman_MI Senior Member

Car(s):
    17' Civic EX-T
    Eating out is a waste of money. You can eat at home, make healthier food, and don't have to worry about people spitting in your food, using food that fell on the floor, or not washing hands. Plus you don't have to give your credit card to a stranger, out of your eyesight where they can steal the info.

civicls thanked this.
  4. BriteBlue

BriteBlue Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic EX-L
    Probably the same people that can't put down their cell phone when they drive. It's become more than an accessory & they can't think or function without out. It's become their brain.

PhilF and civicls thanked this.
  5. civicls

civicls Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
    Dam, that's so true

6. civicls

civicls Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
    ^^This!!
    If only I could convince myself lol

7. VarmintCong

VarmintCong Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 6MT Sport hatch
    My dad gave us an Appleby's gift card. After ignoring it for like a year we decided to use it. Food sucked, and a few days later I checked the gift card, and it was drained. Someone used it twice at the same restaurant after we used it. Employees I assume. Good to know they eat their own food I guess.

I contacted Appleby's and they ignored me.

8. Hondaman_MI

Hondaman_MI Senior Member

Car(s):
    17' Civic EX-T
    They probably wrote down the gift card number when they walked away to the register. The U.S. is behind in that regard. There's countries where they bring a portable machine for you can pay at your table, so everyone can see what's happening.

9. Gruber

Gruber Senior Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
    I remember having a bank account (US$) paying 11%.

Today my savings account pays something like 0.08%....
    At the same time, credit cards have typically two digit APR's. It's the widest gap between bank account and credit card interests ever. That's how US banks are making up the losses they suffered during the crisis they caused about 10 years ago.

Still, some people think dealers are stealers because they overcharged them a $800 fee for nothing or some bogus service, which is 3% of the car price....better look at your bank and your insurance....

10. tsupersonic

tsupersonic Senior Member

Car(s):
    '17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '05 Civic LX
    Just get an higher interest savings account - they offer anywhere from 2.1-2.3% (Link) which is better than 0.x% that big banks offer. There are other investments you can get - just be smart with your money, and don't buy things you can't afford. Just because you can pay your monthly payment doesn't mean you can afford your car. Never pay interest on credit cards; always pay your monthly balance in full!

11. Gruber

Gruber Senior Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
    These online accounts with ridiculous 2% rates and zero services (no checking for example) might be okay for some people, but are not worth the bother for me.
    I don't have any substantial money in savings/checking accounts.
    It is disputable whether 2% with these accounts is indeed better than 0.08 % with all services.

12. tsupersonic

tsupersonic Senior Member

Car(s):
    '17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '05 Civic LX
    I have two accounts at online only banks and they have offer better service my brick and mortar bank!. Ally is a very popular one - they offer checking (interest rate on Ally checking exceeds brick and mortar savings account typically), savings (currently 2.2% APY), excellent customer service, and other services. They have great reviews as well. You can take your 0.08% but this is a pretty obvious choice for me. I keep most of my emergency fund in online savings, as well as my savings for a house, and other goodies (like cars!). You definitely are missing out.

13. rraayy3

rraayy3 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
    You’ll be pretty shocked how much of a difference 2% vs .08% adds up over time.

tsupersonic thanked this.
  14. EdwinDrn

EdwinDrn Member

First Name:
    Edwin
    Car(s):
    Honda Odyssey, 19' Civic Si
    Ed Camden from OG, didnt know you were on here!

15. H3llsp4wn707

H3llsp4wn707 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2015 wrx
    #105 H3llsp4wn707, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    You guys are crazy.....one guy in here talking about buying a $40k car and he makes $70k a year and lives at home...WOW lol. By comparison i made well over $100k, am looking at buying an Si and have no debt whatsoever. Some people like being car rich and broke as fuck i guess lol Im just joking, people love their cars. But most financial people will probably tell you not to spend more than 1/4 of your salary on the price of a car. People have a hard time swallowing that though, but it is a good rule of thumb. Definitely dont want to be spending more than 1/3 for sure!