Type R Owners, How much do you make? Financial advisers chime in.

Pcmechanic1

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r
Country flag
Just enjoy your life man go for it because when you get wife you can forget about it.
Sponsored

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just enjoy your life man go for it because when you get wife you can forget about it.
I generally agree with everyone here, don't do it..... but this guy right here has a point! I'm married w/ young-ish kids. (10-12 y/o) I can't get a coupe. I can't get a manual. Shoot, I probably can't even get a new car when our 2 are working just fine. Get what you want now before marriage, and also GTHO of your parents house! You're an adult now! Man up. Oh, and also tell your friends to piss off.

PS- I vote CW.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get what you want now before marriage,
My old lady wouldn't hear of me getting rid of the Z and when we went car shopping refused to look at anything under an Si. I glanced at a sport hatch for like 2 seconds and she told me, "If it's not an Si, I'm not interested." She picked the RSX type-s pretty much herself (I kind of was leaning towards a WRX but she vetoed me... since we kind of go a back and forth on who gets the final say on car tie-breakers [it's an interesting arrangement]) and the 9th gen Si was mutually decided by us. She decided on a 10th gen and just let me work the numbers to get the deal as she was bored with the '15... but I knew nothing sort of supercharging was going to be enough and I didn't want to sink that kind of money in an inferior chassis.

Had even one of us thought a CTR was worth it for our needs, we would have gotten one. As it stands, the mods to the Si... Ktuner… tint... they were all driven by her saying, "Make the car faster" or "get the windows tinted". She's not interested in the process... so she just tells me what she wants and enjoys the results. The only real thing limit she's told me is I need to get rid of something to get a different car. 4's apparently my limit, but I use the truck for too much stuff that calls for a pickup truck to get something else as of now.

Marry a girl who's into cars and they will be enablers to your car addiction for life. It doesn't have to ever end. 3 out of 5 of my Z cars were with us being together... and she started the sport compact kick. :thumbsup:

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
27 year old here looking for opinions and advice for trading in my car for a TypeR. I think the peer pressure of co-workers

and friends giving me shit for not getting a type-R and spending money on the base model is making me

consider trading it in for one, although deep down i've been wanting to get one for quite some time anyway, but i've always

been conservative with my money and have always owned really cheap used cars in the past. So I gross

70k a year and have around 32k saved up right now. I only pay 300 a month rent at my parents' house but am gonna move

out very soon. Would it be a smart decision to take the hit of trading in my sport i've had for 1.5 years and

finance the R? It would be my daily. Is it worth it? Am I just being cheap or am I too poor to be able to afford one? Get one

now or wait for 2020 idk...
My take : 1. Yes you can probably afford this. 2. Only buy it if you plan on tracking it, or just must have the thrill of driving one of the best cars made today, not because some yahoos at work volunteered you to pay for this. 3. If you have not considered and test driven an SI, do that first. No the Honda Civic Sport is not the same thing. The SI is often overlooked due to the CTR. It shouldn't be.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My old lady wouldn't hear of me getting rid of the Z and when we went car shopping refused to look at anything under an Si. I glanced at a sport hatch for like 2 seconds and she told me, "If it's not an Si, I'm not interested." She picked the RSX type-s pretty much herself (I kind of was leaning towards a WRX but she vetoed me... since we kind of go a back and forth on who gets the final say on car tie-breakers [it's an interesting arrangement]) and the 9th gen Si was mutually decided by us. She decided on a 10th gen and just let me work the numbers to get the deal as she was bored with the '15... but I knew nothing sort of supercharging was going to be enough and I didn't want to sink that kind of money in an inferior chassis.

Had even one of us thought a CTR was worth it for our needs, we would have gotten one. As it stands, the mods to the Si... Ktuner… tint... they were all driven by her saying, "Make the car faster" or "get the windows tinted". She's not interested in the process... so she just tells me what she wants and enjoys the results. The only real thing limit she's told me is I need to get rid of something to get a different car. 4's apparently my limit, but I use the truck for too much stuff that calls for a pickup truck to get something else as of now.

Marry a girl who's into cars and they will be enablers to your car addiction for life. It doesn't have to ever end. 3 out of 5 of my Z cars were with us being together... and she started the sport compact kick. :thumbsup:
True, having a great spouse helps. I have owned my current 10th gen SI, a Toyota MR-2 Spyder, Datsun 280ZX, etc., all since we got married 25 years ago. Her orders when I bought the SI:
'Get anything you really like, as long as we can afford it and it has a usable back seat and trunk, since my coupe doesn't...' This is a woman who actually sent me to Bondurant for a birthday present. Yeah, she gets it. So don't buy into this - 'I can't have a fun car once I am married.'

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag

This is the life situation people need to aspire to.

FWIW - my better half only asks if we "need" it and if we can afford it, otherwise she lets me do me.

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
OP - honestly, that's a decision you should make on your own. That said, there's never a reason to give into peer pressure from your friends. If it's just the peer pressure, then why do it? Once you have the car, you might be more focused on the status it gives you than the vehicle itself.

If that's what gets you going, nobody can say no to your personal choice, I guess.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I know many, many married couples and you are, by far, the exception. You are extremely blessed. As for me, it's too late. I'll have to compromise and probably even beg a little just to get a new Civic.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
lol crazy in Slovenija type r cost 43000 euros and average slovenian earns around 14000 per year my civic hb cost 22000 euros and i earn 13000 per year cars are expencive here... a lot of people here earns around 8000 per year... it is sad
Holy shit, your car is worth more than 1 and a half years wages?

Holy shit

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
27 year old here looking for opinions and advice for trading in my car for a TypeR. I think the peer pressure of co-workers

and friends giving me shit for not getting a type-R and spending money on the base model is making me

consider trading it in for one, although deep down i've been wanting to get one for quite some time anyway, but i've always

been conservative with my money and have always owned really cheap used cars in the past. So I gross

70k a year and have around 32k saved up right now. I only pay 300 a month rent at my parents' house but am gonna move

out very soon. Would it be a smart decision to take the hit of trading in my sport i've had for 1.5 years and

finance the R? It would be my daily. Is it worth it? Am I just being cheap or am I too poor to be able to afford one? Get one

now or wait for 2020 idk...
Well, first, fuck peer pressure. Get what you want because you want it.

I think with your savings and debt load, you can afford it *if you want it* - I also assume you're some sort of professional and you anticipate making more as you move up the career ladder. Frankly, it's not much more expensive than running another Civic. Wear items like tires and brakes will cost, fuel will cost a little more, but that will depend on how hard you drive. Otherwise, you save on depreciation and insurance is a wash.

My friends and family think I should be driving something more upscale. I don't care, I like my CTR. It's my perfect car. Also, despite what people are claiming, the car is amazing even at street legal speeds.

I vote for CW.

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's really tough to give advice, so I'll share my experience (I'm currently 32). My Honda Prelude was the only car I owned from 2008 through 2018 (I've made north of 100K since 2013), and I only bought a NEW car after I was making north of 150K per year, and AFTER I had bought my first house. First car I bought was the Civic Sport Hatch in manual (which I felt guilty about, how dare I spend 20K on a car!). I upgraded to the Type R to save money in the long run, as I wanted to go into racing, the R was already set up, vs sinking 10 grand into a hatch. I now make more than I was making prior, and I still struggle to justify paying more than 40K for a car or more than 50K for a truck (trust me, I look at used GT350s every day).

As usual, YMMV, I was poor growing up, so I tend to be somewhat conservative with my finances.