Type-R Haunts my very soul (LOL)

RRsedan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
They would have to be between $15 to $18k before I pick one up. That probably won't happen until they hit after the 5 year mark
15 to 18k?? o_O or did you mean 25 to 28k
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They would have to be between $15 to $18k before I pick one up. That probably won't happen until they hit after the 5 year mark
me too but these young guys are buying them then finding out financially its a burden.

Spiff44

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
Turning rotors is a scam. I never turn rotors.. all that does is remove lifespan. Even if they're gouged from the pins of a pad that wore down too far.. the pads are cheaper than the rotor.. just let those groves wear into the pad.. it makes no difference. Even if you was worried about it, the cost of having them turned.. you might as well just replace them completely yourself.

Spiff44

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
But yeah, I guess if you're worried about $50-100 for pads that what? Last a couple years at least, though I have went through several sets in one day on a road course... but I expect to the average driver on this board they'll get years out them... if that price is even in your mind as a concern then you shouldn't even be looking at the Type R.

Last edited:

OP
OP
newskate9

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Type-R Haunts my very soul (LOL) upload_2019-10-24_15-46-19

Oh no................... came across this today............. :spaz:

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tirerack of all places. Only $180 for the rear kit (rotors + pads). I won't hesitate to order these for daily commute. Track rats should look into two-piece Girodisc or SakeBomb.

Honda Civic 10th gen Type-R Haunts my very soul (LOL) upload_2019-10-24_14-44-21

Drilled ones aren't that much more:

Honda Civic 10th gen Type-R Haunts my very soul (LOL) upload_2019-10-24_14-46-14

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Turning rotors is a scam. I never turn rotors.. all that does is remove lifespan. Even if they're gouged from the pins of a pad that wore down too far.. the pads are cheaper than the rotor.. just let those groves wear into the pad.. it makes no difference. Even if you was worried about it, the cost of having them turned.. you might as well just replace them completely yourself.
Turning rotors is completely not a scam. Your brakes wear out much faster if you don't turn your rotors, and you can feel a vibration when you brake from imperfections that form in the rotor. My rotors in all my cars have lasted the life of my cars, way over 150K rotating them every brake job. It doesn't cost that much, I pay $10 per rotor when I change my brakes (about every 3 years front and 4 years rear). And not everyone has the time, the place, or know how to change their own brakes

Last edited:

Spiff44

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
To each their own... I never had vibration issues with my brakes and I never turned the rotors on at least a half a dozen modified Honda/Acura's.

Now I'll concede that it contributes slightly to the pad wear, but its minuscule compared to the HUGE wear you're doing to your rotors by turning them, and you're paying for it to top it all. In fact, I have never had to replace a rotor, ever(besides upgrading to cross drilled initially), though some of my cars went through dozens of sets of pads. With how cheap pads are.. and for me they were mostly free. Just take advantage of a free life time warranty on them somewhere like I did and you don't even worry about.it. And they're so simple to replace, IMO its a no brainer to let the pad's take all the abuse. They were meant to wear.

So its almost a double whammy to be taking such a simple job to a shop and pay them to do it just for the rotor turning... why not try replacing a set without a turn and see how it goes? You can always have them turned if you feel that vibration as you say.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To each their own... I never had vibration issues with my brakes and I never turned the rotors on at least a half a dozen modified Honda/Acura's.

Now I'll concede that it contributes slightly to the pad wear, but its minuscule compared to the HUGE wear you're doing to your rotors by turning them, and you're paying for it to top it all. In fact, I have never had to replace a rotor, ever(besides upgrading to cross drilled initially), though some of my cars went through dozens of sets of pads. With how cheap pads are.. and for me they were mostly free. Just take advantage of a free life time warranty on them somewhere like I did and you don't even worry about.it. And they're so simple to replace, IMO its a no brainer to let the pad's take all the abuse. They were meant to wear.

So its almost a double whammy to be taking such a simple job to a shop and pay them to do it just for the rotor turning... why not try replacing a set without a turn and see how it goes? You can always have them turned if you feel that vibration as you say.
Unfortunately I don't have the time to do it myself, my mechanic does it for $160 per set which includes parts, labor and machining. My brakes are changed about every 3 years, so it worth it to me. But I respect you do it yourself, that's more power to you!

Spiff44

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
That's cool...

I just hear a lot of horror stories about rip-off shops too... turning rotors happens to also be one of a conniving shops go-to for a nice rip-off ploy. In those cases they'll make sure "Gee, these rotors are below tolerances and needs to be replaced".. too bad we didn't tell you before we started so now you pretty much have to buy some new ones from us or your car is going to charged by the day as it sits here.

Your mechanic sounds like a rare situation.. not conniving, and has the skills to get more than a couple turns out of a rotor without destroying them.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's cool...

I just hear a lot of horror stories about rip-off shops too... turning rotors happens to also be one of a conniving shops go-to for a nice rip-off ploy. In those cases they'll make sure "Gee, these rotors are below tolerances and needs to be replaced".. too bad we didn't tell you before we started so now you pretty much have to buy some new ones from us or your car is going to charged by the day as it sits here.

Your mechanic sounds like a rare situation.. not conniving, and has the skills to get more than a couple turns out of a rotor without destroying them.
Yeah, he is one of those rare gems, honest as it gets. I have been taking my cars to him since 2009. He won't change anything unless it needs to be done, and always consults me before doing anything. I once brought in my Sienna because I thought the brakes were bad because they were noisy, he called me and told me it was because of cheap quality pads installed previously, cleaned everything up and put it back together and refused to charge me for even labor because "I didn't do anything" (they still had about a year left on them).

I used to do my own work in my younger days when I drove German cars that always need maintenance, but that's a story for another day

OP
OP
newskate9

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
All,

I got bit and after many of my friends said, "You're getting old. Do it now before you can't." I did it. Thanks for all the inputs and thoughts. Here goes..............

Honda Civic 10th gen Type-R Haunts my very soul (LOL) upload_2019-10-30_7-58-35