Type-R Haunts my very soul (LOL)

1. Yonder

Yonder Senior Member

First Name:
    Miguel
    Car(s):
    '18 Civic Si
    Hey OP,

I'd side on getting the Type R, but not for the reasons most people talk about. Of course, we all know it has more power, superior handling, good daily/track car, etc... But, I think a lot of people are forgetting a huge factor about the Type R.
    It might not continue to be available in the states.

My father had a shot at getting the 2000 Integra Type R when it was released in the states, but due to its markup being so high(sounds familiar lol) he ultimately decided to get a Lexus IS 300. Granted he did love that car very much and i had a blast learning stick on it and drifting the car in parking lots when my family was out of town (shame on me lol). But he would ALWAYS tell me how he regretted not purchasing the ITR as its such an iconic vehicle and a legend in Honda history. He was not about to miss his shot again and finally pulled the trigger on one 2 weeks ago. If you are a true car enthusiast (which im sure you are, given you're on the forums lol) for the sole reason that you'd get to have a rare piece of Honda history that isnt always available to us in the states. You HAVE to do it if you can:thumbsup:

xbbnx and newskate9 thanked this.
  2. nothome17

nothome17 Senior Member

Car(s):
    19 is 350 F
    #17 nothome17, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Have to live life to the fullest, no regrets. In general that's usually the case with stock tires, can probably sell them really cheap. PS4's will handle the road better than stocks, worth the upgrade.

But hey, my pops is enjoying the 1992 Acura Integra GSR that I gave back to him. Long story short, he passed it on to me when I turned 16 so now I'm giving it back to my pops lol. Sometimes it's not all about the power to enjoy the car.

I understand, my pops is still working as well. He's finds retirement boring so he continues to work as a contractor.

newskate9 and amirza786 thanked this.
  3. amirza786

amirza786 Senior Member

Director of IT
    First Name:
    A
    Car(s):
    2006 Camry SE V6, 2013 Toyota Sienna LE, 2018 Honda Civic Si (SOLD), 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
    Not only that, it's worth a lot of money today. I am seeing them selling on Bring your own trailer for $25K plus for a 1998!

Yonder and newskate9 thanked this.
  4. Yonder

Yonder Senior Member

First Name:
    Miguel
    Car(s):
    '18 Civic Si
    Lmao Jesus, 20 years later and my new SI is still worth less than a Type R haha makes sense though! The Type R's are priceless in my eyes. If i could have afforded one i would have purchased it, but im a young buck and need to focus money in other directions. This 10th gen Type R may be my regret down the line BUT lucky for me i can at least go to my pop's house and ask to take his for a spin haha

5. amirza786

amirza786 Senior Member

Director of IT
    First Name:
    A
    Car(s):
    2006 Camry SE V6, 2013 Toyota Sienna LE, 2018 Honda Civic Si (SOLD), 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
    You made the right pick. A lot of Type R drivers would tell you that as well. Most of that usable power in the Type R is wasted, especially you living in SoCal where there is a lot traffic you would be barely utilizing it. When it comes time to change tires and brakes, you will be thankful you don't own Type R, that's for sure!

Yonder thanked this.
  6. CanadiaegeanBlue

CanadiaegeanBlue Senior Member

Automotive Marketing
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
    Thank You sir :) Although there's no guarantee I won't become victim to an engine failure I am doing my best to prevent one.

Yesterday I took for a ride a friend of mine, who's also a GM at a local Honda dealership to show him how different my car is from when it left the sales floor 2+ years ago. We actually talked about tuning and reliability, and while having the Throttle and Brake view in my cluster I emphasized to him that that car gets run at 40-60% of throttle for most of my needs if passing or accelerating, keeping the engine relatively under-stressed a majority of the time. If I'm going WOT, I prepare the car for it by climbing over to 3.5k first and then booting it so I've gone past the massive torque shove. My combined city/highway is 32mpg, and I still haven't seen anyone ever best my 49.6mpg on a roadtrip :)

On track, same regiment... car has to be up to operating temp of 175f or more, and then I will do 3 or 4 hot laps. If I see 220f I do my cool down, and then come off. Intake, intercooler, high flow grille, and removal of the undertray is what I've done to let all the heat escape from my engine bay. I would love a hood with more venting, maybe next season :)

Did I mention I do oil changes around every 3K miles, and regular fluid check? Can't stress the importance of OCD levels of maintenance if you're straying away from factory specifications :)

newskate9 and amirza786 thanked this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan
    I can see where you are coming from. In the past I had Mustang GT's, Trans Am WS.6, and Saleen Supercharged Mustang. Some times miss the power of my last high powered cars; especially the WS.6 and Saleen.

I would try few mods without breaking the bank on your SI. May be better tires as other members have suggested, exhaust and Air intake or at least a drop in air filter etc.

If you still crave the Type R and financially sound for the deal, then go for the Type R. The SI after few mods is quick enough for me. But life is short and if the Type R makes you happy, go for it.:)

Good luck with your decision and have fun:)

newskate9 thanked this.
  8. OP
    OP
    newskate9

newskate9 Senior Member

Soon to be unRetired Program Manager, Dad, Grandpa
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Car(s):
    19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
    Continuing with the thoughtful posts. Thanks all. Gotta love it! Started pricing tires. And......... ha.......... started looking for a Metallic Silver/Gray(?) Type-R. I have that color SI now and love it.

Candle still burning at both ends!!!! :):)

Ron R thanked this.
  9. BoostedDreams

BoostedDreams Senior Member

First Name:
    Heisenburg
    Car(s):
    2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
    #24 BoostedDreams, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Haunted my soul too. Finally gave in tonight!
    Came from a 18 Si flex fuel and bolt ons

5AC4CFA6-7A7B-45B7-9EC5-2D96D6EE28B9.jpeg

018EF56C-45B1-4A2F-BB9E-D1988FBD790A.jpeg

repeet and Ron R thanked this.
  10. amirza786

amirza786 Senior Member

Director of IT
    First Name:
    A
    Car(s):
    If you are thinking about buying one, wait a few more years and pick up a used one. You are going to be put financially upside down buying a new one. So unless you have a ton of money put away for your retirement, think hard before you pull the trigger on an almost $40k car and huge tire and brakes budget

Ron R thanked this.
  11. amirza786

amirza786 Senior Member

Director of IT
    First Name:
    A
    Car(s):
    #26 amirza786, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Congrats! Watch that speed limit!

BoostedDreams thanked this.
  12. OP
    OP
    newskate9

newskate9 Senior Member

First Name:
    Stephen
    Car(s):
    DUDE!!!! I'm so happy for you! Well done, sir.

BoostedDreams thanked this.
  13. OP
    OP
    newskate9

newskate9 Senior Member

First Name:
    Stephen
    Car(s):
    I think the decision is made. Found this too: https://tinyurl.com/yyksbr4a

I'm going to buy some tires. While I don't drive like Mario (that's an old person term), my wife would kill me with ongoing expenses. Who knows, maybe she'll fall in love with a metallic gray one if we see one in the wild.........

Again, thanks for all the inputs. Truly appreciated.

14. Ron R

Ron R Senior Member

Car(s):
    Congrats on the new toy:)

15. Ron R

Ron R Senior Member

Car(s):
    Excellent point! One reason I went with the SI was its price, so I can put money aside for retirement and my little guy's college:)

mauiSI19 and amirza786 thanked this.