Type R bringing me back into the Honda fold (hopefully) - UPDATED Type R on the way...

beldredge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango R/T, PMM Type R #3527
I've been following this and the Si forum for months now, so mostly a lurker, but after getting the opportunity to sit in a Type R over lunch today, I've pretty much decided to go that way (well, eventually, once I can get my hands on one).

So, at 44 years old, I imagine I'm among the higher end of the age ranges here - my Honda history includes a 1990 Civic Si, a 1993 Prelude Si and a 2004 TSX. From the TSX, I became infatuated with German brands, primarily BMW, and have had several of them pass through my fleet. Mind you, they've generally been the more sport-oriented BMWs - for instance, I've had 3 5-series and two of those were manual trannies.

Wife and I have four kids, so I have a family hauler - have had a couple minivans and more recently moved into a Durango R/T. Having that frees me up to have a fun car on the side. Wife and I both love cars and car shopping, so we tend to switch out cars pretty quickly as something new catches our eye. I tend to fluctuate between some of the German luxury brands and other cars that I'm nostalgic for based on the cars I lusted after when I was younger - i.e., I went from a 535i to a Mazda3 to an S4 to a 428 Gran Coupe. And now I'm in a GTI.

But through all that, I still consider myself a Honda enthusiast at heart - just haven't found anything in their lineup quite enticing enough to pull the trigger.

Of course, the Type R has my heart all a flutter.

I've been considering an Si - mostly for the availability, and it's such a great value at its price. But today I got to sit in a Type R (Honda corporate car in the showroom) and that pretty much sealed the deal for me. Clearly it's got a lot more scoops, spoilers, skirts, etc. going on than the Si, but seeing it in person - I just thought it all worked and looked purposeful (much of which truly is). And those seats are incredible. Obviously the rest of the interior is more similar than not to other Civics, but the various upgraded trim pieces and color really add a rich punch to the look and feel.

I want one. :)
Sponsored

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
I've been following this and the Si forum for months now, so mostly a lurker, but after getting the opportunity to sit in a Type R over lunch today, I've pretty much decided to go that way (well, eventually, once I can get my hands on one).

So, at 44 years old, I imagine I'm among the higher end of the age ranges here - my Honda history includes a 1990 Civic Si, a 1993 Prelude Si and a 2004 TSX. From the TSX, I became infatuated with German brands, primarily BMW, and have had several of them pass through my fleet. Mind you, they've generally been the more sport-oriented BMWs - for instance, I've had 3 5-series and two of those were manual trannies.

Wife and I have four kids, so I have a family hauler - have had a couple minivans and more recently moved into a Durango R/T. Having that frees me up to have a fun car on the side. Wife and I both love cars and car shopping, so we tend to switch out cars pretty quickly as something new catches our eye. I tend to fluctuate between some of the German luxury brands and other cars that I'm nostalgic for based on the cars I lusted after when I was younger - i.e., I went from a 535i to a Mazda3 to an S4 to a 428 Gran Coupe. And now I'm in a GTI.

But through all that, I still consider myself a Honda enthusiast at heart - just haven't found anything in their lineup quite enticing enough to pull the trigger.

Of course, the Type R has my heart all a flutter.

I've been considering an Si - mostly for the availability, and it's such a great value at its price. But today I got to sit in a Type R (Honda corporate car in the showroom) and that pretty much sealed the deal for me. Clearly it's got a lot more scoops, spoilers, skirts, etc. going on than the Si, but seeing it in person - I just thought it all worked and looked purposeful (much of which truly is). And those seats are incredible. Obviously the rest of the interior is more similar than not to other Civics, but the various upgraded trim pieces and color really add a rich punch to the look and feel.

I want one. :)
It's your generations tuner brought to you by the manufacturer that's why you want it like the rest of us in the higher age group :headbang:Body Kit check, Tuner/Good Looking Wheels check, Racing Seats check, Turbo Check....comfort mode for back issues check. Go for it!

JJAY8175

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord 2007 Honda civic SI 97 Subaru Legacy 17 CTR CW #3892
Country flag
Nah some of us here are in our 40's 50's and even some in the 60's with this car. If you love it who cares what anyone thinks.:thumbsup:

I'm 42, oh and welcome to the forums!

OP
OP
beldredge

beldredge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango R/T, PMM Type R #3527
I'm just bummed I didn't find a dealer to take my deposit months ago. Like most of us, I've been following the release ever since it was announced and even visited one dealership late 2016, but of course they were relatively clueless and weren't interested in taking any deposit at that time.

Then I just let it go figuring I'd wait and see. Oh well - a little patience will make it sweeter.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm 58, if I had the money, I would consider buying one. What makes you happy is what counts.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
I'm just bummed I didn't find a dealer to take my deposit months ago. Like most of us, I've been following the release ever since it was announced and even visited one dealership late 2016, but of course they were relatively clueless and weren't interested in taking any deposit at that time.

Then I just let it go figuring I'd wait and see. Oh well - a little patience will make it sweeter.
I also think the fact that you have 4 kids, so you have to exercise restraint. :thumbsup: I, on the other hand, have no kids, just a doggy, so I can do what I wish most the time.:D Fortunately, it is never too late to start searching for a Type R...may have to pay a little ADM :D, but you'll get one if you want it bad enough.

Oh btw, your kids will LOVE you for getting a Type R, and welcome the forum! :thumbsup:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just wait until we see how many are coming in next year and save some money buying one.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
I'm a former Honda fanboy as in the 90's I owned a delsol VTEC and EJ Civic Si which were cars I cherished. I haven't owned once since once the brand followed Toyota into bland people movers but the Type R intrigues me. I'm in my 40's now but that won't stop me from owning one if I decide to get one as I don't really care what anyone else thinks as I never worried what people thought when I owned my STI or EVO X and they both had big wings on the back like the Type R.

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
Sounds like most of us grew up or at least experienced the Honda crazy in the 90s, including myself. Also, the same reason I'm quite infatuated w/ 90s cars. They have a good template and simple(no fancy electronics or dash buried w/ knobs, lights, and switches). However, I never had money or a chance to own a Honda I truly wanted. Never thought I get a new car again.....until the R announcement. :beer::beer::headbang::headbang:

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
You, sir, have made a great decision and you will not be disappointed. :thumbsup:

clayky

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I'm a former Honda fanboy as in the 90's I owned a delsol VTEC and EJ Civic Si which were cars I cherished. I haven't owned once since once the brand followed Toyota into bland people movers but the Type R intrigues me. I'm in my 40's now but that won't stop me from owning one if I decide to get one as I don't really care what anyone else thinks as I never worried what people thought when I owned my STI or EVO X and they both had big wings on the back like the Type R.
Oh man, I had a '94 del Sol VTEC as well and it remains at the top of the list of the cars I've owned. What a blast that little thing was.

redwing497

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda S2000, 2019 CW CTR
Country flag
Sounds like most of us grew up or at least experienced the Honda crazy in the 90s, including myself. Also, the same reason I'm quite infatuated w/ 90s cars. They have a good template and simple(no fancy electronics or dash buried w/ knobs, lights, and switches). However, I never had money or a chance to own a Honda I truly wanted. Never thought I get a new car again.....until the R announcement. :beer::beer::headbang::headbang:
It's funny because in the 90's I was a lover of muscle cars and hated on Japanese imports. Then, I bought an 09 Si and was hooked. Now have an S2k, previously drove a 6MT Accord Sport, and now want a CTR. I don't care that it's not the fastest hot hatch, at least in a drag race from a dig. There's just something about Hondas. Kinda regret missing out on their great 90s cars

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
I grew up with Hondas in the 90's too. Been a big fan and owned numerous Hondas and Acuras. When the 2000-2001 Acura Integra Type R made a return. Just could not afford it with the outrageous MSRP and ADM at the time. Now I have a second chance to own a Type R.
Sponsored