Type R As First Manual Transmission Car?

1. jvivlemore

jvivlemore Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
    I'm considering upgrading to a Type R or Focus RS after my EX lease is up. I have always wanted a manual transmission car but never owned one and I love the Sonic Grey Type R. I see that my area has some manual transmission driving schools that I would take prior to test driving and/or buying one. I know the Focus RS is great for first timers because of a feature called "stall recovery" but don't know much about the Type R.

I figured this would be the best place to ask fellow owners.

Any thoughts regarding a car like these as a first manual transmission car?

MutatedMango thanked this.
  2. Nanook

Nanook Senior Member

First Name:
    JP
    Car(s):
    2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
    Type R is hard to stall as it has a valve in the clutch system to help prevent that. That said It’s not impossible.

As far as your choice for a manual transmission, either car is fine. Seriously just personal preference. I drove the RS and CTR back to back and I didn’t care for the RS. I wasn’t thinking about the clutch though. I’ve been driving manuals my whole life. I did drive a WRX and hated that clutch.

Again, go to a used dealership (Carmax) and drive both once you’ve learned how to drive a manual. That’s the only real way to decide. We are going to be very biased here.

3. OP
    OP
    jvivlemore

jvivlemore Senior Member

Car(s):
    Don't worry about being biased. I personally think the Type R stands out more (appearance wise) and I know it has more cargo and passenger room. I traded in my Mustang for the EX Hatchback because I needed more room in the backseat for the kids. I recall the RS having very uncomfortable Recaro seats as well. I've heard the Type R seats are much better in comparison.

4. Nanook

Nanook Senior Member

First Name:
    JP
    Car(s):
    LOVE the seats. That’s actually another thing about the RS I didn’t like. I’d forgotten until you mentioned it.

jvivlemore thanked this.
  5. OP
    OP
    jvivlemore

jvivlemore Senior Member

Car(s):
    Good to know. Have you done any 3+ hr road trips in the Type R? I'd probably rent a car for those but curious to know how comfortable the seat was after that long or how driving a manual transmission on the turnpikes and highways is for long periods of time? I'm so spoiled by cruise control.

6. fiend busa

fiend busa Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R
    I've done 3+ hours. Starts to get uncomfortable after about an hour.

Not unbearable though.

6/10 uncomfortable level....but I'm 6'4 so that might be why lol

jvivlemore thanked this.
  7. bbdave

bbdave Senior Member

First Name:
    David
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Type R
    @jvivlemore
    The R is my first manual car. Not hard at all to get used to. Did many 3+ hr drives without any problems. Could use a bit more lumbar support but not bad. Seats are deceptively comfortable. Cruise control works fine but the R doesn’t have the advance safety features the non-Rs come with.
    One thing to consider if you plan on it being a daily, it get rid of the 20s. unless you go with a taller profile tire.

jvivlemore thanked this.
  8. Nanook

Nanook Senior Member

First Name:
    JP
    Car(s):
    Did an 10 hour road trip when I did Wake the Dragon a couple months ago. No issues whatsoever. 2.5 hours hard driving then 7.5 hours interstate home. Still do it again next year.

City driving in stop and go traffic can get old in a manual. If you’re not doing it everyday it’s not bad though.

jvivlemore thanked this.
  9. bikebit

bikebit Member

Car(s):
    2019 White Civic Si Sedan
    I don't think that are many better cars to learn a manual on than the Si or R. Definitely not a bad decision.

repeet and jvivlemore thanked this.
  10. Ryley_C

Ryley_C New Member

First Name:
    Ryley
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R, CW
    I've owned 14 vehicles in total, all being manual transmission. The type r is definitely one of the easiest. The gear box shifts amazing. The auto revs match is a huge plus for someone starting out as well, takes the hard part out.
    Before getting my R, I test drove the Golf R, RS, 370, and the civic had by far the best seats. The RS seats were miserable at best, My back was sore on just the test drive. Ive done 12+ hour road trips in my R on good and poor roads with no issues. Im 5'10/170lbs, a friend was with me on the trip and he is 6'4/230 and neither of us had any complaints about the seats.

jvivlemore thanked this.
  11. Multaq

Multaq Senior Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic LX 6SPD
    My first manual car was my 2018 LX, Not a type R by any means, But I feel that will be easier to learn in due to the Rev match help it offers too for people who need/want it

12. frtorres87

frtorres87 Senior Member

First Name:
    Frank
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Type R
    I think the Type R would make a fine first manual transmission car. It's also the type of car that will crush your desire to ever drive an auto again....well unless your in traffic.

13. Salespunk

Salespunk Senior Member

First Name:
    MO
    Car(s):
    Civic Type R, Ram 2500, 328 Wagon
    I just taught my son how to drive a manual with my Type R. One of the easier manuals out there with the anti stall and how easy to use the clutch is.