Turning the Car Off

OverX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Is it just me or does anyone notice their car lunging forward (like stalling out) after you turn the car off in gear?

I always turn my car off while I’m Neutral, push in the clutch, put it into reverse or first and then release the clutch. But everytime I do that the car lunges as if nothing has fully stopped.

Has anybody else noticed this?
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Is it just me or does anyone notice their car lunging forward (like stalling out) after you turn the car off in gear?

I always turn my car off while I’m Neutral, push in the clutch, put it into reverse or first and then release the clutch. But everytime I do that the car lunges as if nothing has fully stopped.

I always turn the car off with the gear in neutral. I only put the car in 1st gear if I am on a hill, and after the car has been turned off. I have never experienced the car lunging after turning it off

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si

Did you try holding the clutch for a few seconds after turning off the car? The engine doesn't completely stop after pressing the button. Also, if you're on a hill you need to use the parking brake.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
The parking brake is enough unless you're on some kind of steep incline in which case, it's probably still enough but people park in gear for peace of mind anyway.

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I noticed it once when I wasn't paying attention and clutched out too soon after shutting down, as mentioned the engine takes a couple of seconds to come to a full stop. Try putting your windows down and ideally be in a garage or parkade before shutting your car off and listen to how long it takes once or twice to get a better feel for the shut down duration, might help give you better perspective on it.

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
I noticed it once when I wasn't paying attention and clutched out too soon after shutting down, as mentioned the engine takes a couple of seconds to come to a full stop. Try putting your windows down and ideally be in a garage or parkade before shutting your car off and listen to how long it takes once or twice to get a better feel for the shut down duration, might help give you better perspective on it.
It goes: Rummmm blum blum blum blum blum blum, Button Push Off, blum, blum, blum, blum, blum foot off the clutch.

SBPerformance

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo, 2003 350z, 1998 CRV, 2019 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep, just keep your foot on the clutch .00005 seconds longer after turning the car off.

OP
OP
OverX

OverX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It goes: Rummmm blum blum blum blum blum blum, Button Push Off, blum, blum, blum, blum, blum foot off the clutch.
UGHHH ohhhh how this clutch grinds my gears!!! I’m one of those people who moves extremely quickly so this will be a mental challenge ;D

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I don't know why, but I learned to keep the car in neutral with parking brake on. Being on an incline would warrant keeping it in gear. This is what I do and hence no jerking on shut off...as odd as that sounds.

OP
OP
OverX

OverX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I personally use both. Parking brake and in gear that way all tires stay “locked up”. But I guess these new parking brakes lock all the wheels up anyways and not just the rear

jjm0315

Maximum effort
First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Once you see the “Si” logo pop up, it’s safe to release the clutch

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (Boost Blue)
Country flag
I don’t even do all that tbh.
I always keep my shifter in neutral when I park, then set the brake button. The whole time, my foot isn’t on the clutch bc I have the car in neutral so it’s not necessary. Then I just shut the car and never felt any lunging described above. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
I don’t even do all that tbh.
I always keep my shifter in neutral when I park, then set the brake button. The whole time, my foot isn’t on the clutch bc I have the car in neutral so it’s not necessary. Then I just shut the car and never felt any lunging described above. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ditto. Then I place it in gear