Turning off headlights/battery issue

brendon811

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
I was at a drive in theater trying to turn off my headlights while having the radio on, but as many of you probably know when the car is in accessory mode it switches to the DRL (daytime lights) rather than turning off completely. On google I found a way around this by activating the parking brake before turning the engine off, but for some strange reason after the movie was over the engine wouldn't start and I needed to get a jump. Car hasn't had issues starting since then (about 2 months ago) but it would be nice to know how to turn off the headlights at night without this happening. Also I'm not sure why/how those two issues are related.
Sponsored

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
Sounds like the battery was drained below the point where it could turn over the engine to start.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The joys of having the lower end model. I just turn the key back until the only thing on is the radio. Should be able to have the radio on after the power is off as long as you don't open the doors. Leaving the car in accessory mode for a long period of time is going to drain the battery pretty quickly.

SnapdragonTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo'd EX-L
I'm gonna chime in on this. This car has a WEAK WEAK WEAK battery. While detailing the car, I'll often listen to the stereo quite loudly (level 16~) and one hour later, car won't start. This happened on two different occasions. Today, I went to refill about 6lbs of air in my tires using my air compressor, car won't start afterwards. I will say I should've started the car before filling the air, this my fault. Listening to music and the car won't start after just 1 hour of use?! Not satisfied.

My previous 2010 Accord V6 did not die like this, nor does our family 09 Odyssey.

demonslayer

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I'm gonna chime in on this. This car has a WEAK WEAK WEAK battery. While detailing the car, I'll often listen to the stereo quite loudly (level 16~) and one hour later, car won't start. This happened on two different occasions. Today, I went to refill about 6lbs of air in my tires using my air compressor, car won't start afterwards. I will say I should've started the car before filling the air, this my fault. Listening to music and the car won't start after just 1 hour of use?! Not satisfied.

My previous 2010 Accord V6 did not die like this, nor does our family 09 Odyssey.
Probably more to do with all the tech and lack of software power saving features, Honda should be making there own OS rather than relying on google. Tesla does this for a reason time the rest of the industry starts following suit.

side note

Did you turn off the screen?

SnapdragonTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo'd EX-L
Probably more to do with all the tech and lack of software power saving features, Honda should be making there own OS rather than relying on google. Tesla does this for a reason time the rest of the industry starts following suit.

side note

Did you turn off the screen?
I agree, or at least upgrading it Android 7.0+ where power saving features were introduced.

Nah, screen was on. I never had a car so "technically involved" at this level. I wonder how a BMW would fare with its iDrive in use only on ACC power.

demonslayer

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I agree, or at least upgrading it Android 7.0+ where power saving features were introduced.

Nah, screen was on. I never had a car so "technically involved" at this level. I wonder how a BMW would fare with its iDrive in use only on ACC power.
Turn off the screen and all the lights and just play music, Benchmark it for us so I can go to the drive-in next summer xD

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
It's a Civic, not a Maserati.

Whether we like it or not, Automobiles are becoming more technological based. I am not looking forward to the day where we will no longer be able to drive ourselves. Sure they say that we will have the choice but eventually they will remove the choice and we will be forced to commute in (SLOW) self driving vehicles.

Everyone complaining about how the CVT takes away from the "driving experience" should pay heed. Pretty soon there will be no driving experience at all.

Related to OP: has anyone tried leaving it accessory mode for a while (like for a movie, etc.) and then testing the battery charge? Is it truly a Civic wide issue or is it limited to a certain area or range? What trim(s) are more affected, or are all trims affected?

demonslayer

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Whether we like it or not, Automobiles are becoming more technological based. I am not looking forward to the day where we will no longer be able to drive ourselves. Sure they say that we will have the choice but eventually they will remove the choice and we will be forced to commute in (SLOW) self driving vehicles.

Everyone complaining about how the CVT takes away from the "driving experience" should pay heed. Pretty soon there will be no driving experience at all.

Related to OP: has anyone tried leaving it accessory mode for a while (like for a movie, etc.) and then testing the battery charge? Is it truly a Civic wide issue or is it limited to a certain area or range? What trim(s) are more affected, or are all trims affected?
I don't think it will be slow.. Maybe at first but after awhile I think cars will be lane changing with a cunt hair worth of space. Flying by each other at 200km/h a personal train. Think we will probably see drone cars (flying cars) Around the 40's / 50's, Maybe even the 30's if solar panels energy intake plateu at this time which I believe they will.

Last edited:

SnapdragonTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo'd EX-L

You remind me of a good friend of mine! lol, but in all seriousness I agree. I'm gonna stash a Type-R in an underground bunker for when we are forced to give in all "manual" vehicles.

But back on topic: This probably affects most Civic trims minus the LX, the power draw. Power saving features of the OS would be good fix but a bigger battery would probably be better. I'll run benchmarks in the future as that'll be a project in itself lol.

rickkonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan - Rallye Red

I used to be able to listen to the radio while at lunch for a half hour. Now my battery is dying all the time. I took it to Honda and they said nothing is wrong. Battery, Alternator good and no power draw. My battery dies now if I leave the car sit for to long. Don't know what to do right now. Any thoughts??

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are you turning off the ignition and just pushing the audio power button to listen to the radio?

rickkonk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan - Rallye Red
Are you turning off the ignition and just pushing the audio power button to listen to the radio?
No I pushed the start button for accessories mode.
But my battery would drain overnight or just after leaving the door open for a few minutes to run the vacuum in it.
I called my Honda dealership and they said to get a new battery. So I did. I think they are guessing but we will see.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
4-cylinder Hondas always have small batteries in my experience. It's an easy place to save some money and weight.
Sponsored