Turn key ignition to push start?

Red Dog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Hello, I am a new member here and honestly pretty foreign to a lot of car related things.

I drive a 2017 Civic LX. I was looking to potentially change my turn key ignition to a push start and I didn’t really want to use an aftermarket kit if possible. If there is a reliable one to use I would appreciate anyone’s input. But, I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to grab the parts needed from a scrapped 10th Gen Civic and use those? I’m not sure what complications I may run into with key fobs and still being able to lock/unlock the doors and what not.

I wish I would’ve bought a better trim now but it is what it is at this point. Just curious if this is possible to do without paying ludicrous amounts of money.

Thanks!
Sponsored

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hello, I am a new member here and honestly pretty foreign to a lot of car related things.

I drive a 2017 Civic LX. I was looking to potentially change my turn key ignition to a push start and I didn’t really want to use an aftermarket kit if possible. If there is a reliable one to use I would appreciate anyone’s input. But, I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to grab the parts needed from a scrapped 10th Gen Civic and use those? I’m not sure what complications I may run into with key fobs and still being able to lock/unlock the doors and what not.

I wish I would’ve bought a better trim now but it is what it is at this point. Just curious if this is possible to do without paying ludicrous amounts of money.

Thanks!
You'd probably have to find an ignition switch from a LX-P which isn't sold here if it's even possible. PTS systems don't use the same wires in the same sense either, so the wiring is very different. I'm gonna say it's either a) impossible or b) very hard to find somebody willing to do it

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Ya, I would call this a very expensive thing unless you are willing to do all the work.

There is the interlock for the brake peddle, you have to fiddle with the steering wheel and shifter interlock and your key cylinder... And then you have to deal with the RFID chip in your key in the same way as for remote start systems. It is not at all just put a button on the dash and connect a couple wires.

Chalk this one up to the mistake of trims chosen. I got the Canadian EX Sedan but should have got the EX-T. Def not changing yet as I would lose money as I am only coming up on two full years of owning it.

OP
OP

Red Dog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Ya, I would call this a very expensive thing unless you are willing to do all the work.

There is the interlock for the brake peddle, you have to fiddle with the steering wheel and shifter interlock and your key cylinder... And then you have to deal with the RFID chip in your key in the same way as for remote start systems. It is not at all just put a button on the dash and connect a couple wires.

Chalk this one up to the mistake of trims chosen. I got the Canadian EX Sedan but should have got the EX-T. Def not changing yet as I would lose money as I am only coming up on two full years of owning it.
Yeah, in the research I've done I believe they leave a piece of the key in somehow and then do something else to keep the car from leaving the battery on. But, I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand fully. I do have people that would probably do the work for the low but I just wanted to know if anyone has done this yet or not and to see if it would be worth it. I appreciate your response.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
You could install a momentary switch that simply (momentarily) connects the 'start' terminals on the keyhole when it is pushed or switched. It'd basically be just using a mechanical switch to do the same thing that turning the key does. But, yeah... you'd have to have the RFID thing working regardless.

Also... our start buttons just send a command to the engine computer. We don't have to press and hold them and then release when the engine lights. The OEM start buttons might not be able to handle the electricity if we used them to open the starter relay. It's two different applications. One is like a right click on a mouse and the other is a more heavy duty electrical component.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Think you'd be better off taking the loss on trade in versus paying for the parts and labour to do the conversion

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Think you'd be better off taking the loss on trade in versus paying for the parts and labour to do the conversion
Moreover, if there is ever an issue with the install and what the install does to the resale value of the car. Changing the stereo is one thing but changing how it starts... That is a whole other level of modification that most buyers are not interested in.
Sponsored