First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey guys,

Anyone else getting a turbo whine when accelerating? Not even going WOT, I can hear a whine but can't really pinpoint what is doing it, could it be the turbo already going bad? I only have 20k miles on the car. Maybe it's just now that I can hear it but I dont remember it being that loud in the cabin. A/C and fans are not on.

Thanks
Sponsored

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hear a whistle type noise from the turbo. A “whine” type noise I more associate with an alternator or power steering. Of course, one can describe the same noise differently than another. Oh, do you have ac on when you hear it?

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Is it a whine like a supercharger whine? Does it get higher in pitch as the RPM goes up?

NHWhite2019SI

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI sedan, 1997 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
Honestly, the only time I’ve ever heard my turbo was when I was showing another Civic “who’s boss” at WOT with the ambient temp at about 85 degrees. Never heard it before and haven’t heard it after. I’m running the PRL stage 1 intake and Ktuner 19.5/23.5 tune. I’d keep an ear for it.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Somewhat off-topic, but the title reminded me of this. Is it normal to hear a faint engine clicking at crawling speeds? My last engine was a '99 NA V6, so I'm not all that up-to-date on typical modern (& new) engine sounds :p

OP
OP
Masked

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Is it a whine like a supercharger whine? Does it get higher in pitch as the RPM goes up?
Yes exactly, it sounds like a supercharger whine and does get higher in pitch just as you mentioned when the RPM goes up. Thoughts?

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes exactly, it sounds like a supercharger whine and does get higher in pitch just as you mentioned when the RPM goes up. Thoughts?
Huh. Curious to know what that is. Well, there’s three other systems being driven by the belts, yeah? PS, Alt, and A/C. Any attempt at isolating the noise to those?

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I experience this too, but has been normal since the day i bought the car. Could just be the actual gearing.

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
That's a bad sound.. My mazdaspeed3 turbo had this death whine at 10k miles and took me going to two different dealers to get them to replace the turbo under warranty.

I described my turbo exactly like this it sounded like a supercharger.

OP
OP
Masked

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
That's a bad sound.. My mazdaspeed3 turbo had this death whine at 10k miles and took me going to two different dealers to get them to replace the turbo under warranty.

I described my turbo exactly like this it sounded like a supercharger.
Was the turbo harder to spool? I will check with the dealer for sure. I will take a look tonight and try to isolate where the sound is coming from

OP
OP
Masked

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I experience this too, but has been normal since the day i bought the car. Could just be the actual gearing.
Looks like it's louder since last week, not sure why it got so much louder all of a sudden. Maybe we both got L15's with supercharger instead of a turbocharger lol

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
A turbo "whine" should track the boost gauge, not the engine RPM. If it's getting louder, I would definitely take it to the dealer.

OP
OP
Masked

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Huh. Curious to know what that is. Well, there’s three other systems being driven by the belts, yeah? PS, Alt, and A/C. Any attempt at isolating the noise to those?
I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow, Ill get back to you guys if they find anything.

OP
OP
Masked

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Well apparently the turbo is fine, no boost leak or whatnot. Buuuuut, I also told them about having a problem shifting to 2nd gear sometimes and that I could hear a clunk when 2nd was engaging. Turns out the gear is going out and they need to change it. 2000$ in repair since they need to take out the transmission etc. Told me if there were signs of abuse it would not be under the warranty, but the dealership were I bought it from will pay it for me if it is not covered by the warranty. So to everyone having problem shifting into 2nd gear, I suggest you take the car to the dealer.
Sponsored