Turbo usage

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
While the break in appears in the FAQ nothing of that is said in the manual for the Si. This is the only thing I found in the 600+ page manual.
Should've read page 420. ;)

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo usage Capture+_2018-12-09-13-11-29

This is from the 2018 Coupe owners manual.
Sponsored

BlownLSX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Well shit hahah, he’s at 500 miles. Let it rip. I just hit 10k last night. No issues yet.

PS I did not break it in according to the manual. I did quick 2-4 pull during the test drive. I bought the car I test drove and have been driving it spiritually daily.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
clutch you’ll need to replace it soon or eventually
Only if you go crazy with a tune.........or go to the track every week.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag

Friction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you were not aware, they break in the engines at the factory before it leaves the production line.
Well Honda is actually the ones that says they break in the motor at factory before releasing it for sell.
They don't. Were are you getting this information from?

Only the NSX engine gets broken in at the factory.

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
Country flag
The car is meant to be driven and enjoyed. If you were not aware, they break in the engines at the factory before it leaves the production line.

As for a proper break-in, this is an ongoing conversation and everyone has a differing opinion and this conversation can go on for quite some time....but drive it how you want and enjoy. Cooling the turbo is a carry-over from 1980's/1990's turbo engines where you had to run the car for a few minutes after using boost (turbo timers were very common)
The manual specifically states that it needs to be broken in.

BlownLSX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
This conversation is dead, weather you break it in or not. Car is under warranty so who really gives a shit unless your keeping it for 60k plus. It’s a $22k car not a Ferrari.

OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
This conversation is dead, weather you break it in or not. Car is under warranty so who really gives a shit unless your keeping it for 60k plus. It’s a $22k car not a Ferrari.
Excuse me.

I plan on keeping it for 200k plus, for the record.

I have already invested over $30k in the car as well, voiding some of the warranties.

In hindsight, I do not thank you for your contribution to this thread.

BlownLSX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Excuse me.

I plan on keeping it for 200k plus, for the record.

I have already invested over $30k in the car as well, voiding some of the warranties.

In hindsight, I do not thank you for your contribution to this thread.
If you voided the warranty that’s on you. I’m
Glad you plan on keeping it for 200k, for me my lease is over at 36k and on to something else. As far as investing 30k. That’s also on you, no one forced you. If that’s what makes you happy more power to ya.

OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If you voided the warranty that’s on you. I’m
Glad you plan on keeping it for 200k, for me my lease is over at 36k and on to something else. As far as investing 30k. That’s also on you, no one forced you. If that’s what makes you happy more power to ya.
Great. Are we done talking about my purchasing decisions?

In fact, why is everybody so hung up on this "break-in period" thing? The thread title mentions turbo usage, and I'm asking about it over the long haul. I mentioned that in a previous post, at some point after the OP.

If you decide that this thread is over, then I guess that's what it should be heh? A moderator should close it? My question just goes left unanswered and I'm left being judged on my purchasing decisions? What a kind online community you represent.

BlownLSX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Great. Are we done talking about my purchasing decisions?

In fact, why is everybody so hung up on this "break-in period" thing? The thread title mentions turbo usage, and I'm asking about it over the long haul. I mentioned that in a previous post, at some point after the OP.

If you decide that this thread is over, then I guess that's what it should be heh? A moderator should close it? My question just goes left unanswered and I'm left being judged on my purchasing decisions? What a kind online community you represent.
I literally posted exactly the information you wanted about the turbo directly from the owners manual. Let me rephrase it a little simpler. Don’t floor it when cold and change the oil when it’s due. That is literally all you need to do for the turbo to live a long healthy life.

jinderC

Well shit hahah, he’s at 500 miles. Let it rip. I just hit 10k last night. No issues yet.

PS I did not break it in according to the manual. I did quick 2-4 pull during the test drive. I bought the car I test drove and have been driving it spiritually daily.
How old are you?
Reminder to all, don’t purchase any vehicles from this individual

BlownLSX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
How old are you?
Reminder to all, don’t purchase any vehicles from this individual
31, why does it matter my age? Don’t purchase any vehicles from me LMAOOOO. That’s a good one. My vehicles are meticulously maintained even my leased vehicles. The cars that I own get Blackstone samples yearly. You probably don’t even know what that is. Explain to me how enjoying my vehicles is any different than the weekly track junky?? I’d love to hear your opinion.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
31, why does it matter my age? Don’t purchase any vehicles from me LMAOOOO. That’s a good one. My vehicles are meticulously maintained even my leased vehicles. The cars that I own get Blackstone samples yearly. You probably don’t even know what that is. Explain to me how enjoying my vehicles is any different than the weekly track junky?? I’d love to hear your opinion.
Yep, I'm 34 and was doing WOT pulls in my civic the day I took it home, same thing in my 16 crv and 13 accord. Was much harder with the accord and crv because of the cvt but I actually try for a full sweep from early on in the curve with high cylinder pressures. Cvt in those just wants to redline and sit there... also built my 12.5:1 trx450 in my driveway then rode it like I stole it day 1. 70k when the accord was traded in, got 30k+ on both the civic and crv and a couple years on the quad. No LONG term testimonials there but they all did/ are doing fine. I also change fluids to the point that I'm probably throwing money away...
Sponsored