MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I'm 500 miles in with my new 2019 Civic Si, still "breaking it in." And yes, I'm babying the hell out of it. I want this vehicle to last me a long, long time. Granted, I want to drive spirited with it at times as well (eventually even get a KTuner), but I want to moderate more often than not.

So far, I have been monitoring my throttle and boost gauges and am trying to sort of not overdo anything at the moment. That means I'm staying under 40% throttle and have actually not even exceeded 4 psi yet. Yeah, I'm probably overdoing the babying, but I was just curious what this car is meant to do and in which RPM ranges.

I of course never want to lug the engine, yet during my break-in period I'm staying under 4k RPM (why is everything I'm doing involved with staying under the number four?). If I'm just doing normal driving and such, is it customary and okay for every time I'm accelerating from a red light to hit certain boost levels? I realize it's a turbo engine so the answer is probably yes, but is it "better" that I sometimes stay at <0 psi and don't go over if I don't have to?

Also, I've heard that before turning off the engine you want to make sure you have moderated your driving a little bit for all of the turbo that may have previously spooled up. Exactly how long does that take to do, and what psi levels are we talking when they are bringing that up?

Thanks.
Sponsored

e85sbm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic EX-T
Country flag
The car is meant to be driven and enjoyed. If you were not aware, they break in the engines at the factory before it leaves the production line.

As for a proper break-in, this is an ongoing conversation and everyone has a differing opinion and this conversation can go on for quite some time....but drive it how you want and enjoy. Cooling the turbo is a carry-over from 1980's/1990's turbo engines where you had to run the car for a few minutes after using boost (turbo timers were very common)

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
What he said.

Though the recommended break in is more for the clutch and brakes. Sounds like you doing everything right, just don't forget to enjoy your car.

OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'll for sure be enjoying it soon enough. In a couple of weeks though I am making a 400 mile trip (800 total) where the revs will just not change at all. I'll be in 6th gear going 75-80 MPH, and I want to take care of things before that. I'm spending the majority of the time not driving on highways for now and making up for that later. I'll likely be over 1,000 miles by then.

After that trip, I'll progressively get into higher RPM's, step on the pedal a bit more and hit double-digit psi. Until then, I'd like to stay below it for sure.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll for sure be enjoying it soon enough. In a couple of weeks though I am making a 400 mile trip (800 total) where the revs will just not change at all. I'll be in 6th gear going 75-80 MPH, and I want to take care of things before that. I'm spending the majority of the time not driving on highways for now and making up for that later. I'll likely be over 1,000 miles by then.

After that trip, I'll progressively get into higher RPM's, step on the pedal a bit more and hit double-digit psi. Until then, I'd like to stay below it for sure.
Again there is no break in period for the motor lol but clutch you’ll need to replace it soon or eventually

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
These are the first posts I’ve seen mentioning not to break in the engine. Everything needs to be broken in, including the engine

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
With modern water cooled turbos, the requirement to idle for several minutes to allow the turbo to cool to avoid coking is a thing of the past.

I, for good measure, usually idle ~30 seconds before shutting down unless I was just in high boost before parking. Then I may wait 1-2 minutes.

The car is programmed with a boost table. It will do exactly what it's meant to do at any given RPM. The only thing you should avoid is WOT at low RPM in a high gear, but that's really just for the weak clutch's sake IMO.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't know why people keep saying this- the manual is pretty clear:

upload_2018-12-9_10-31-59.png
Well Honda is actually the ones that says they break in the motor at factory before releasing it for sell.

OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
^ I don't see that in the owner's manual, though. Send me a link to that and I'd like to see the source and break-in parameters.

I mean like, I'm sure they test it at rigorous levels, but unless they are doing those 600 miles at the factory, I'm going to attempt to do them myself and then some (since I've heard 1,000 miles in the past as well). Basically, remember before that long trip, I'm going to be doing as much as possible with regard to what's expected during the break-in period.

Anyway, my question goes beyond the break-in period. I'm asking about turbo usage in general, even after the break-in. I know it's a turbo-charged engine so you can use it, but I'm wondering what's expected when it comes do daily usage for someone trying to make the car last for over a decade. Should every acceleration be okay to have some psi levels of boost, or should I be conceding some when it comes to that and really stay no higher than 0 psi unless I really just want to do it just because?

e85sbm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Break in can be looked at in 2 different ways - slow and gentle for the first 1000 miles or do what they do in motorcycle world and with other engines where they are aggressive right from the start to extract the most power and performance. Also engine break in was required in the 50's, but with the high precision machines we have now, there is less chance of something going catastrophically wrong....the owners manual is just indicating that a break in is required to cover any potential lawsuits.

I personally try to be gentler in the first tank or 2 of gas, then gradually increase. Engine break in is primarily to let seals to set properly and to allow the different materials to mate properly.

BlownLSX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I’ve been beating the hell out of my car from day one. Car has a warranty what are you so afraid of lol.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
The car is meant to be driven and enjoyed. If you were not aware, they break in the engines at the factory before it leaves the production line.

As for a proper break-in, this is an ongoing conversation and everyone has a differing opinion and this conversation can go on for quite some time....but drive it how you want and enjoy. Cooling the turbo is a carry-over from 1980's/1990's turbo engines where you had to run the car for a few minutes after using boost (turbo timers were very common)

How about we just recommend following the manual on the topic.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Because I know someone will ask..

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo usage Screenshot_20181209-151906_Chrome

BlownLSX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
While the break in appears in the FAQ nothing of that is said in the manual for the Si. This is the only thing I found in the 600+ page manual.

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo usage 43E64361-9D0F-4349-BA08-FDE0D0B91B38
Sponsored