Turbo-DP Stud Problems

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR, 2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
While installing the new Downpipe, We had to back one of the studs out as it stripped when trying to put the nut back on. This apparently has been an issue before, thankfully this one backed out and didnt snap. Has anyone had this happen It was the Stud that connects the downpipe and turbo on the side closest to the engine, will post pics.
Sponsored

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not having done it myself but I’ve heard of the turbo studs snapping pretty easily. I’m having my DP installed with my clutch and they said they do everything in their power not to snap them, but it happens sometimes. And the mechanic I’m using has done tons of 10th gen downpipes.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
While installing the new Downpipe, We had to back one of the studs out as it stripped when trying to put the nut back on. This apparently has been an issue before, thankfully this one backed out and didnt snap. Has anyone had this happen It was the Stud that connects the downpipe and turbo on the side closest to the engine, will post pics.
Going to have to jam 2 nuts and pull or drill it out lol. I've been there twice and drilling seems to work but pain in the ass and lots of broken drill bits.

Zcfc3dc5

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si, 2002 Acura rsx type s, 2011 Nissan Titan
Country flag
Exactly why my downpipe is being installed with my clutch

LightX

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I've done 5 downpipe install on 10th gen, three broke and two were intact. One of the one that broke was mine sadly.. Same bolt broke on every car it seems.

OP
OP
ThorSellsCars

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There’s a theory they are just putting them on too tight from factory and with the heat soak issues that’s a direct side effect it seems. We pulled it out but had to rethread the hole on the turbo... nerve racking

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There’s a theory they are just putting them on too tight from factory and with the heat soak issues that’s a direct side effect it seems. We pulled it out but had to rethread the hole on the turbo... nerve racking
How did you remove the studs? Also what threat tap size did you use?

OP
OP
ThorSellsCars

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How did you remove the studs? Also what threat tap size did you use?
We didn’t mean to remove it the nut got stuck on the stud when it went to break away, so while I wrenched it off, my buddy held pressure in the middle so it wouldn’t torque and snap. And the thread tap size idk one of our master techs came over and did it for us but I will ask

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think it's a Civic issue but an all-turbo-cars downpipe issue. It's just how it is when you heat cycle hardware.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bro...roid-motorola&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Google broken downpipe stud and you'll find Subaru, BMW, VW an RX7 forum among others on the first page. It's actually a very normal thing to battle on a turbo swap.

Heat soak is more of a issue with the intake path, including intercooler getting warm and a power loss occuring from it. I don't think it'd have much bearing on EGTs making the turbo and it's hardware go from ambient to balls-hot again and again. That's just going to happen.

Good on you for getting it off w/o actually breaking it.

OP
OP
ThorSellsCars

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think it's a Civic issue but an all-turbo-cars downpipe issue. It's just how it is when you heat cycle hardware.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bro...roid-motorola&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Google broken downpipe stud and you'll find Subaru, BMW, VW an RX7 forum among others on the first page. It's actually a very normal thing to battle on a turbo swap.

Heat soak is more of a issue with the intake path, including intercooler getting warm and a power loss occuring from it. I don't think it'd have much bearing on EGTs making the turbo and it's hardware go from ambient to balls-hot again and again. That's just going to happen.

Good on you for getting it off w/o actually breaking it.
Oh good info Ill have to keep that in mind when i do the work on the Si next year.

Brettmx721

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic si hfp
Country flag
Having the same issue. Anyone know a part number for those studs? Or what studs will work for replacing broken ones.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Only thing that has worked for me so far is to use deep creep the night before.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
would heating that section with a torch help since it'll expand a bit?
Sponsored