Turbo Cooldown - is it a problem waiting for a solution ?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Is Turbo Cool down a significant problem, and if so, are there realistic solutions.

From my limited understanding of the subject, I can appreciate.
(1) Turbo get hot.
(2) When engine is shut off, any oil flow cooling to turbo stops, so it's temperature rises, before it falls.
(3) One can take the time, to help with this cool down period, if one remembers, or has the time to do so.

So how much is it damaging or shortening the life of a Honda Civic turbo, to turn off the engine just after running the turbo hard ?

DOes the oil quickly drain out of the turbo, or just stay there, getting hotter & hotter till it eventually starts to cool. Can this damage the oil if it gets too hot - as well as the turbo with excessive heat.

If it is a problem, are there AVAILABLE, additional cooling system that could be added, that Honda chose not to include to keep price down?

Or is it just not cost effective to worry about it ...chances are we will all be buying "New Self Driving Electric Cars" or using UBER a few year !! (if the world's economy does not complexity tank by then)
:drive: ===> Look- no hands !! :wave: ====> :bump:
Sponsored

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Turbo cars aren't new, not even for Honda, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I also doubt people are running their cars at 10/10 and then shutting down the engine immediately. I wouldn't worry about it until there's a reason to worry.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Turbo cars aren't new, not even for Honda, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I also doubt people are running their cars at 10/10 and then shutting down the engine immediately. I wouldn't worry about it until there's a reason to worry.
Thanks ... I saw this Graph, and started to get concerned !!

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo Cooldown  - is it a problem waiting for a solution ? temperature

I'll stop worrying about the car and looking up Car problems on the Internet, and get back to the more important self diagnosis of all there medical conditions I would appear to have according to WebMD !!

(Looks like I may not make it through tonight) ... looks like I may have a severe case of pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis :eek::drool:

Last edited:

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Thanks ... I saw this Graph, and started to get concerned !!

temperature.gif

I'll stop worrying about the car and looking up Car problems on the Internet, and get back to the more important self diagnosis of all there medical conditions I would appear to have according to WebMD !!

(Looks like I may not make it through tonight) ... looks like I may have a severe case of pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis :eek::drool:
Funny... I was going to make the WebMD joke lol.

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan, 2009 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
Most all modern turbochargers are water cooled, especially if an OE design. In a properly designed water cooled setup (I would assume Honda got this right and it also looks correct from my understanding) the engine coolant will continue to flow at a very low rate due to natural heat convection within the cooling system.
With this there are a couple "rules-of-thumb" that won't hurt:
1) If you just finished driving the car hard (think track day or AutoX) then let the car idle for a minute or two then shut the engine off.
2) Proper Maintenance: Use high quality oil and keep your fluids full

Other than that don't worry about

nickhaldin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan; 1997 Mazda Miata
Yeah I tend to play it safe too. If I’ve revved it pretty hard soon before I parked, I idle it for a couple minutes if possible before shutting it off. Other than that, I just try to take it easy and keep it under 3k rpms for the last couple minutes of my drive. Maybe I’m just paranoid, but better safe than sorry. :dunno:

mark_ninan

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2R
Country flag
Most all modern turbochargers are water cooled, especially if an OE design. In a properly designed water cooled setup (I would assume Honda got this right and it also looks correct from my understanding) the engine coolant will continue to flow at a very low rate due to natural heat convection within the cooling system.
With this there are a couple "rules-of-thumb" that won't hurt:
1) If you just finished driving the car hard (think track day or AutoX) then let the car idle for a minute or two then shut the engine off.
2) Proper Maintenance: Use high quality oil and keep your fluids full

Other than that don't worry about
So what if we add ceramic coating to the turbo? What if we add ceramic coating to the turbo and put a turbo blanket on top of that?
Ok sounds weird right? My rationale - ceramic coating does a good job at keeping the heat in the turbo(to enhance spool, revs etc etc)
The turbo blanket does an excellent job at keeping the heat from spreading to the other parts of the engine bay, while at the same time keeping heat in the turbo.

Question: Would that affect the turbo and/or it's internals' longevity? (Water-cooling the turbo seems to counter the idea of "keeping the heat in".)

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
So what if we add ceramic coating to the turbo? What if we add ceramic coating to the turbo and put a turbo blanket on top of that?
Ok sounds weird right? My rationale - ceramic coating does a good job at keeping the heat in the turbo(to enhance spool, revs etc etc)
The turbo blanket does an excellent job at keeping the heat from spreading to the other parts of the engine bay, while at the same time keeping heat in the turbo.

Question: Would that affect the turbo and/or it's internals' longevity? (Water-cooling the turbo seems to counter the idea of "keeping the heat in".)
The water cooled zone is where the bearings (and oil) are. The blanket avoid the heat in the exhaust side air to scape so there is more volume of air, this will keep the turbo hotter but keeping other zones cooler while running. I'd leave the engine running for a while if you drive hard.

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the problem is the oil cooking at super high temperatures when you shut car off with red hot turbo ;) that will degrade oil if you do this every day and bad oil will do
all sorts of damage, just wait a minute or two if you drive really hard and then shut off ;)

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I guess we could get this old fella excited...
Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo Cooldown  - is it a problem waiting for a solution ? 73E89C5B-E65E-49F6-A39E-33F6B0ACCD94

... cause he hasn’t made and sold a turbo timer since OEMs started putting water cooled turbos in cars decades ago. Like... way back in the 1900s. ;)

I looked a while ago when a similar thread popped up and you can actually still get them. I imagine they sell as well as VCRs these days.

There’s an article Garret came out awhile ago... I couldn’t find the year as the copyright shows this... but I think the thing originally was from back in the 90s and just have gotten revisions. It explains it pretty well as to the how’s and why’s and, as it’s been mentioned, it really for the car after shutdown for the most part. It’s made idling your car or things like turbo timers pretty much unnecessary. If doing so makes you feel better... then it certainly won’t hurt anything.
https://www.garrettmotion.com/racin...-a-turbocharger/water-cooling-for-your-turbo/

mark_ninan

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2R
Country flag
I guess we could get this old fella excited...
73E89C5B-E65E-49F6-A39E-33F6B0ACCD94.jpeg

... cause he hasn’t made and sold a turbo timer since OEMs started putting water cooled turbos in cars decades ago. Like... way back in the 1900s. ;)

I looked a while ago when a similar thread popped up and you can actually still get them. I imagine they sell as well as VCRs these days.

There’s an article Garret came out awhile ago... I couldn’t find the year as the copyright shows this... but I think the thing originally was from back in the 90s and just have gotten revisions. It explains it pretty well as to the how’s and why’s and, as it’s been mentioned, it really for the car after shutdown for the most part. It’s made idling your car or things like turbo timers pretty much unnecessary. If doing so makes you feel better... then it certainly won’t hurt anything.
https://www.garrettmotion.com/racin...-a-turbocharger/water-cooling-for-your-turbo/
I saw Garrett's page stating that water cooling was required/a must as well.. Most likely would cause the degredation of a Garrett turbo. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But not on Borg Warner's advice/website..
They just said to make sure that we use really good synthetic oil.. So that's cool - as in turbo blankets are fine.
Borg Warner though "older" has a lot more advanced tech involved in their turbo..

But what about ceramic coating and then on top of that, a turbo blanket?

xmikedentx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic si, 2016 Tacoma TRD 4x4
Country flag
Is there even a concern with EGT's on these cars? My old dodge would run around 1400 degrees on long uphills towing, I cant imagine out cars get up to 1000 at all? Do K-tuners have a gauge that monitors that?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I saw Garrett's page stating that water cooling was required/a must as well.. Most likely would cause the degredation of a Garrett turbo. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But not on Borg Warner's advice/website..
They just said to make sure that we use really good synthetic oil.. So that's cool - as in turbo blankets are fine.
Borg Warner though "older" has a lot more advanced tech involved in their turbo..

But what about ceramic coating and then on top of that, a turbo blanket?
I can't imagine any automotive turbo that isn't going to be water cooled, even aftermarket, outside of some fringe use cases. Borg Warner talks about water cooling of their automotive gas application turbos: http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/en/products/turbochargerPassengerCarsGasoline.aspx
Sponsored