Tuner question

Coupe-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Accord 2.0T Sport | '18 Civic EX-T Coupe CVT (destroyed)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A few months back I had a very well known tuning shop in my state do a full day dyno tuning using KTuner. Without getting into details, my question is; if I buy my own Ktuner device, can I pull the tune from the ECU to save/modify any of the values in the software? In essenece what I want to do is create a backup of their tune which I know works great, but then have one I can mess with myself.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Coupe-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You cannot pull tunes off of the ECU. Get a copy from them directly for you to flash. They can lock it to your device.
Darn that stinks. They didn't sell me the device when they did the tune, so I'd have to buy a KTuner device for myself anyway. They would also charge me $300 for the tune file they have saved, was trying to find a way around that $300 fee.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Owning a tuning device makes a whole lot more sense long term than just getting a one time ECU reflash.

Trust me on this, you won't regret spending the $$ on a KTuner.

OP
OP

Coupe-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Owning a tuning device makes a whole lot more sense long term than just getting a one time ECU reflash.

Trust me on this, you won't regret spending the $$ on a KTuner.
I get that, which is why I was planning on buying a KTuner unit for myself. I just didn't want to have to pay the absurd fee for them to give me a flash drive with the file for my custom tune. Looks like I don't have a choice in the matter.

The biggest reason I even am trying to do this is so I can use KTuner to permanently disable the damn check engine light for "emissions system problem" code P0420, which has been stuck since I did the PRL catted DP/FP. I have a bluetooth enabled scan tool and this awesome $10 smartphone app for all the readouts and disabling codes, but the code always enables after 15 minutes and has to be re-cleared, so I gave up trying that. I'm assuming it's because its reading as a "permanent" code. If anybody has any other suggestions for this I'd appreciate it, or else it looks like I'm dumping several hundred bucks.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I get that, which is why I was planning on buying a KTuner unit for myself. I just didn't want to have to pay the absurd fee for them to give me a flash drive with the file for my custom tune. Looks like I don't have a choice in the matter.

The biggest reason I even am trying to do this is so I can use KTuner to permanently disable the damn check engine light for "emissions system problem" code P0420, which has been stuck since I did the PRL catted DP/FP. I have a bluetooth enabled scan tool and this awesome $10 smartphone app for all the readouts and disabling codes, but the code always enables after 15 minutes and has to be re-cleared, so I gave up trying that. I'm assuming it's because its reading as a "permanent" code. If anybody has any other suggestions for this I'd appreciate it, or else it looks like I'm dumping several hundred bucks.
Why didn't you have your tuning shop disable that code? It's a simple check box in the KTuner software.

OP
OP

Coupe-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why didn't you have your tuning shop disable that code? It's a simple check box in the KTuner software.
Because I didn't think about it/it didn't happen instantly after the job was done months ago. I can call them up and see if they'll do it for free/dirt cheap since it's that simple. Will admit I clearly didn't think this through well enough haha, kinda just went down the rabbit hole of "well if I get the device and the tune file then I can screw with the values, and disable the light while I'm at it".

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Because I didn't think about it/it didn't happen instantly after the job was done months ago. I can call them up and see if they'll do it for free/dirt cheap since it's that simple. Will admit I clearly didn't think this through well enough haha, kinda just went down the rabbit hole of "well if I get the device and the tune file then I can screw with the values, and disable the light while I'm at it".
Here's a list of the disables you can do with KTuner in addition to all the other boost/tuning parameters you can adjust:

Honda Civic 10th gen Tuner question Capture.GIF

OP
OP

Coupe-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's a list of the disables you can do with KTuner in addition to all the other boost/tuning parameters you can adjust:

Capture.GIF
So I talked to my tuning company and got information that I did not want to hear.. below is a snip of part of the conversations that were had:

"We do not turn of emissions related CELs, or toggle "motorsports controls" on vehicles that are not strictly race or track cars. This service does not include developing a custom tune for you to retain, and potentially modify or distribute. If you wanted our tuner to develop you a custom map for a specific modest, and leave his propriety information open for modification or distribution, that would cost a substantial amount more than a dyno tune service"

So with that statement, and finding the prices for what they stated, I am no longer sure how to proceed since they want over $1,000, which doesn't even include me going and purchasing my own KTuner hardware device. If I did go this route and get the tune file, then re-upload it to the ECU with the disable code box enabled, I don't even have a guarantee whether that will actually remove the "permanent" code or just disable the "general" code.

The other option they gave me instead of getting the tune file and buying a KTuner hardware device is "We can remove the low quality pre-installed cat that PRL used and weld on a proper GESI2 compliant weld in high flow cat". I don't like that statement because I find it hard to believe that a company like PRL would use low quality. I also have no way of knowing that this will resolve the trouble codes, though the tuner is saying it should.

All in all, I need options because this feels like a trap of getting stuck with something. I am currently leaning toward getting the KTuner hardware myself since that will free me from having to deal with the tuning company further. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am currently leaning toward getting the KTuner hardware myself since that will free me from having to deal with the tuning company further. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like that is your best option at this point, if you want to tinker with things. You could try an angled de-fouler on the downpipe.

OP
OP

Coupe-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like that is your best option at this point, if you want to tinker with things. You could try an angled de-fouler on the downpipe.
Thanks for the opinion, I am definitley not keen on them welding on a different converter. Can you please post a link to something that would work for this application for that part you mentioned? I did find this on PRLs website, would this work, and what fitting size would I need? https://prlmotorsports.com/fabspeeduniversalo2spacerwithcatalyticconverter-single.aspx#.XFnOyKpKiUk

They also won't install any kind of parts like this, so I would have to do it myself. Would something like this be difficult/lengthy to install? Thanks.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the opinion, I am definitley not keen on them welding on a different converter. Can you please post a link to something that would work for this application for that part you mentioned? I did find this on PRLs website, would this work, and what fitting size would I need? https://prlmotorsports.com/fabspeeduniversalo2spacerwithcatalyticconverter-single.aspx#.XFnOyKpKiUk

They also won't install any kind of parts like this, so I would have to do it myself. Would something like this be difficult/lengthy to install? Thanks.
https://www.amazon.com/Degree-Angled-Engine-Exhaust-Extension/dp/B00B1U6I54

DIY in your driveway or garage. Unscrew the O2 sensor, install this, screw in O2 sensor. Adjustment may be required for desired exhaust flow to sensor.

OP
OP

Coupe-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
https://www.amazon.com/Degree-Angled-Engine-Exhaust-Extension/dp/B00B1U6I54

DIY in your driveway or garage. Unscrew the O2 sensor, install this, screw in O2 sensor. Adjustment may be required for desired exhaust flow to sensor.
Thanks. Ignorant question, which 02 sensor would this go on? It's my understanding that there are 2 or 3, with one being on the turbocharger and another being on the downpipe next to the turbocharger. I want to be sure that I use the right one so the ECU doesn't adjust AFRs due to the spaced readings.

OP
OP

Coupe-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The one on the downpipe
I'm assuming I can do this without having to raise the car? Just move the intake hose out the way and put the extender on the o2 sensor location right there from the top?
Sponsored