The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring

Total tuned time: 22 months on Ktuner (4 months on custom tune from Derek Robinson @ IMW Motorworks

Total tuned mileage: 42,000+ miles (10,000 miles+ on custom tune)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: KTuner Dual 21 PSI, Custom Tune (93 pump and E85)

Fuel used: Shell 93 (Flex Fuel E85 from Shell)

Additional engine mods: Full Bolt Ons, 27WON W1Turbo

Problems/issues: Minor issue. WOT pulls can result in kicking in overboost protection (probably due to fact that I got it tuned on a very hot and humid day. P0103 and P0238. P0103 is due to the fact that I have reached the limits on my 27WON CAI. I will be upgrading to the PRL Cobra Race CAI to alleviate this issue. Also the P0238 cannot be resolved currently with the current MAP sensor and will require to upgrade to a 4bar MAP sensor and ECU support for it.

Driving style: Slightly speedy with occasional bursts from time to time.

Tuning experience notes: I will say that the car is a blast to drive. Mind you I have both an EX sedan with the 2.0 non turbo and I drive that a bit more nowadays to preserve miles and then drive my tuned hatch for some fun times. I have taken this car out to several drag and track days. While I have lost a bit of low-end torque (this has resulted in an experience in which the car does not seem as if it as peppy down low as when I was on the stock turbo), when I'm at 3500k rpm and higher, I can really feel the boost ramp in and it gives a very nice punch. Due to the way the tune is set up to save my CVT and engine, it almost feels like VTEC when the car hits 4k.

292.82 whp / 257.27 wtq on E35 blend

Dyno Chart Attached Below

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) upload_2019-12-18_15-20-39

View attachment 189698

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 20190824_143443

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Neo3151

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic EX-T sedan CVT

Total tuned time: 6 months +-

Total tuned mileage: 15000+- miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner 1.2

Tunes used: KTuner dual target tune with various quick adjustment changes for map switching

Fuel used: Mostly Chevron/Shell 93 since tuning

Additional engine mods: none yet.

Problems/issues: None with the engine, had a BCM give out after about 18 months of ownership. Completely unrelated but a nightmare to deal with.

Driving style: I like to get the most out of my car, without getting real close to other cars although weaving through traffic isn't exactly uncommon. Stereotype Civic driver is what I get told I drive like a lot.

Tuning experience notes: So far I really have nothing but good experience with it, I'm constantly tweaking every time I reflash and datalog to see what's going on from time to time. I understand the CVT limitations and really just try to have as much fun as possible within them. I've been honestly surprised at how well the car performs when pushed and I'm waiting til the end of this month to give the TSP tune a go and see how it feels by comparison. The 93 life was a little bit of a shock to the wallet at first but it just feels like normal at this point.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Type R

Total tuned time: 22 months

Total tuned mileage: 28,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flashpro and previously KTuner V2

Tunes used: Hondata Flashpro calibration for PRL catless downpipe and front pipe

Fuel used: 93 Octane

Additional engine mods: PRL silicone hose, HKX Legamax, RV6 catless downpipe and front pipe

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Usually calm, but I go fast at times

Tuning experience notes: I've had hondata for previous civics (EP3, FA5, FB6). Also have had ktuner for the FK8, but ended up back with hondata due to more options

I'm seeing 12.2 A/F ratio from data logs

Logix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
si
Country flag
sure wish this would include people's MPGS before/after tune.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My day to day are more affected by my right foot than anything. My average mpg since tuning has changed minimally if at all

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
There's really no reason for that. As has been mentioned for years, part throttle and highway cruising mpgs stay very close to stock. It's only when you really drive aggressively that mpgs drop. Matter of fact, in nearly two years of being tuned, my mileage has only dropped from about 38 stock to 36.5 tuned (60/40 highway/city). And that's only due to me putting my foot into it more often since I've been tuned.

Last edited:

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
As a few others have said, its unnecessary. As MPG do not change afterward. Or it's such a minuscule change that its unnoticeable.

Logix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
si
Country flag
As a few others have said, its unnecessary. As MPG do not change afterward. Or it's such a minuscule change that its unnoticeable.
I'm going to tune for mpg I just saw a YouTube of a Corvette getting 40 mpg. I wonder what this could do with a good mpg tune and some eco mod

Last edited:

R MODE

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R Championship White
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Type R

Total tuned time: 4 months

Total tuned mileage: 5000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: New Contact Lens, Expresso, More Fish than Steak

Tunes used: Zen like focus just before Holy Crap Speed

Fuel used: Shell Premium only

Additional engine mods: Bell bottom jeans

Problems/issues: Noticed a thumping sound coming from passengers floorboard when my wife is trying to find "her" brake pedal when she thinks I am entering corners too fast. Sometimes my neck hurts after a run through the mountain roads with high G turns. Almost pissed my pants once when I misjudged a decreasing radius corner. Had to pull over after my first mountain curvy road run and wipe tears from my eyes. Colorful language follows WOT third gear plus pulls.

Driving style: Usually calm, but if you pass me as we approach the mountains I'm going to make you look stupid in the first turn and be out of sight 3 turns later.

Tuning experience notes: Scares the hell out of me because I'm a total noob. Retired Professional motorcycle roadracer with 107 wins, 11 championships and 63 crashes. As soon as I master the car as is, I will slowly start souping it up.

Note: Don't count me in your stats as I know this thread is about tuning but after reading every post to try to learn as much as possible I felt left out so I figured...........well............the above is the result.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Type R

Note: Don't count me in your stats as I know this thread is about tuning but after reading every post to try to learn as much as possible I felt left out so I figured...........well............the above is the result.
Nice to have another R posting. And thanks for a little bit of tongue in cheek humor.:thumbsup:

One question. Are the 63 crashes real or just part of the joke?:hmm:

R MODE

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nice to have another R posting. And thanks for a little bit of tongue in cheek humor.:thumbsup:

One question. Are the 63 crashes real or just part of the joke?:hmm:
Real. I absolutely hated second place. Never cared about taking a risk to pass for like 7th. But if we are on the last lap, and I'm in a possible position to win......................

Besides, you cannot, will not, find the maximum until you exceed it.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Real. I absolutely hated second place. Never cared about taking a risk to pass for like 7th. But if we are on the last lap, and I'm in a possible position to win......................

Besides, you cannot, will not, find the maximum until you exceed it.
Sounds like me on my commute home. j/k (sort of)

Now my next question. You still paying the medical bills?:cool:

R MODE

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sounds like me on my commute home. j/k (sort of)

Now my next question. You still paying the medical bills?:cool:
Six stiches in my left elbow.
Lost my right pinkie when it was trapped between the handle bar and the pavement in a 140 mph crash for a milisecond.

That's it. I was very very lucky.
Sponsored