The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't had Flashpro for a long time but IIRC it should just save it at key off. Drive along for a bit to warm the car up then press the datalog button til it blinks to start logging. Do some wide open throttle and maybe 20-30 minutes of assorted driving and that would be a good log.

When you first tune or change tunes or add bolt-ons it's always a good idea to run a log to check things out.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jacobegg

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I haven't had Flashpro for a long time but IIRC it should just save it at key off. Drive along for a bit to warm the car off then press the datalog button til it blinks to start logging. Do some wide open throttle and maybe 20-30 minutes of assorted driving and that would be a good log.

When you first tune or change tunes or add bolt-ons it's always a good idea to run a log to check things out.
had a friend in town look at it all. I’m running verrrrry lean above 80mph only. A/f ratio is in the 10s
Took tune off. Put intake up for sale with a truthful explanation why I’m selling. And will start looking for a new intake

David228cx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red Honda Civic Sport (EU)
Country flag
How about a poll in the OP with problems and no problems?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How about a poll in the OP with problems and no problems?
I tried but I can't add a poll at this point. And truthfully, it's just as well because not everyone would answer the poll anyway. Down the road I will start calculating problems versus no problems for the posted surveys. Give me time, I don't get paid for this. ;)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I added these current statistics and notes to my original post:

SURVEY STATS (as of 11/13/19)

Total surveys taken: 146
Total tuned miles driven: 2,225,000
Tuned cars with failures: 4 *
Percentage of tuned cars running reliably: 97% **

Custom tuned cars: 30
Hondata used for tuning: 41
KTuner used for tuning: 119
JB4 used for tuning: 1

* 1 car had a failed CVT. 1 car had faulty injectors and a blown head gasket. 1 car blew an engine running an E35/meth setup. 1 car blew an engine on the racetrack.

** There were minor issues reported here and there with the stock clutch, a suspected injector issue, fuel trim and knock control funkiness depending on intake and gas used, minor fixed annoyances, etcetera. None of these issues were major.

Notes: So far a couple things are becoming clear. Using a base tune on a basically stock car has proven safe. Properly tuned, adding bolt-ons can be reliable, too. The issues seem to happen when power is pushed too high or the car is driven too hard (like on the racetrack).

Please keep your surveys updated if possible. Hopefully, more members will add their tuning surveys so we can keep building this tuning reliability database.

Last edited:

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic SI Coupe

Total tuned time: About a week

Total tuned mileage: 500+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Race version

Tunes used: Hondata +9

Fuel used: 93 octance (Usually Exxon or Mobile)

Additional engine mods: None (yet)

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: I drive normally, but to get around dumb people or just for the heck of it pretty spirited

Tuning experience notes:
No clutch slipping at all, feels like what stock should've been like lol

Left is my co-worker/ fellow member, right is mine

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) IMG_7351.JPG

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
"1 car blew an engine running an E35/meth setup. 1 car blew an engine on a high power custom tune on the racetrack."

Blew an engine is vague and uninformative. It matters exactly WHAT happened. Thank you for your efforts.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
^ I've worked very hard compiling this to the best of my ability. Some details of the blown motors are in the individual surveys if you care to look. The stats I just compiled are only a synopsis of the survey entries so far.

I think most here are pleased with my efforts. In addition, I've messaged nearly 350 members in an effort to try to jump start this survey for our community.

Last edited:

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
"1 car blew an engine running an E35/meth setup. 1 car blew an engine on a high power custom tune on the racetrack."

Blew an engine is vague and uninformative. It matters exactly WHAT happened. Thank you for your efforts.
This one blew up on the racetrack

This one blew up running meth. That's the build thread and the blow up thread.

Both have more threads about the builds and rebuilds if you look around...

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicle: 2020 Civic SI Coupe

Left is my co-worker/ fellow member, right is mine

IMG_7351.JPG
Both cars look great but I have a question. Based on the body color vent inserts, your co-worker has a 2020 as well, right? The reason I'm asking is he doesn't have the 2020 LED headlights.:hmm:

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
Both cars look great but I have a question. Based on the body color vent inserts, your co-worker has a 2020 as well, right? The reason I'm asking is he doesn't have the 2020 LED headlights.:hmm:
Haha no, my buddy @swah_fk7 has a 2019, he just bought the fog light garnishes from the dealer

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2019.5 :doh:

THATSi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
Go ahead and save an actual driving datalog for 30 minutes with a couple WOT runs. I'll be happy to read it for you. Post the datalog here as a .zip file.
Same here, but just off the snap shots you're looking to be ok. Do stop and go traffic for about 10 to 15 min, same with highway cruising and a WOT pull 3rd gear from between 1500 and 2k rmp to redline. Also, are you using ktuner or hondata?

THATSi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
Same here, but just off the snap shots you're looking to be ok. Do stop and go traffic for about 10 to 15 min, same with highway cruising and a WOT pull 3rd gear from between 1500 and 2k rmp to redline. Also, are you using ktuner or hondata?
Direct message me and send to my email

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
He's using Hondata and (lol) no 3rd gear pulls. He's got a CVT. ;)
Sponsored