TSP Stage 1 Tune for the 2017+ Civic Si (Cobra Race Support Included!)

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag

Emig5m

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe / 2004 Ford Lightning
Country flag
Phew....Took two sittings but i read through this entire thread. I initially had a lot of questions but most of them has been answered but I still have a few (don't kill me too bad, lol). I was about to order a Hondata from somewhere (forget where) but I'm glad I took a few days to do some research and came across the Ktuner/TSP Stage 1 tune.

Questions...

1) So I order the Ktuner from: https://twostepperformance.com/ktuner-llc-ktunerflash-v1-2-tuning-package/ and select the TSP Stage 1 (I have a 17 SI) - Does the TSP Stage 1 tune get emailed to me independent of the shipment? If so, I would then load it into the tuner with the Ktuner software on my laptop? Can I use a smartphone instead to do all the work of the laptop? I have a laptop but the battery is dead and I would have to run an extension cord out to the car and it would be more convenient to just be able to use a smartphone since I would be afraid to lose power while flashing without the battery as a backup.

2) To unlock the head unit to install the Ktuner app on the stock head unit, is this the correct website here: http://www.autohack.org/ or is there another official place to get it? Also, I read in some Youtube comments about the Hondahack that it's a high security risk saying that it gives the author of the Hondahack the ability to have a backdoor remotely into your cars head unit, true?

3) Even while using the most aggressive map (#3) if driving easily while commuting will gas mileage suffer a lot or stay relatively the same if not hammering on it? I have a 2hr round trip commute but think this car is such a dog in stock form and would love a little more pep, lol.

4) I read a few comments about shifting not being as smooth as stock? Will the SI with the TSP tune still shift nice for daily driving? Probably will for me since I used to buy the most aggressive motocross bikes for just trail riding, lol.

Sorry for the questions, don't kill me too bad, lol... ;)

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
Phew....Took two sittings but i read through this entire thread. I initially had a lot of questions but most of them has been answered but I still have a few (don't kill me too bad, lol). I was about to order a Hondata from somewhere (forget where) but I'm glad I took a few days to do some research and came across the Ktuner/TSP Stage 1 tune.

Questions...

1) So I order the Ktuner from: https://twostepperformance.com/ktuner-llc-ktunerflash-v1-2-tuning-package/ and select the TSP Stage 1 (I have a 17 SI) - Does the TSP Stage 1 tune get emailed to me independent of the shipment? If so, I would then load it into the tuner with the Ktuner software on my laptop? Can I use a smartphone instead to do all the work of the laptop? I have a laptop but the battery is dead and I would have to run an extension cord out to the car and it would be more convenient to just be able to use a smartphone since I would be afraid to lose power while flashing without the battery as a backup.

2) To unlock the head unit to install the Ktuner app on the stock head unit, is this the correct website here: http://www.autohack.org/ or is there another official place to get it? Also, I read in some Youtube comments about the Hondahack that it's a high security risk saying that it gives the author of the Hondahack the ability to have a backdoor remotely into your cars head unit, true?

3) Even while using the most aggressive map (#3) if driving easily while commuting will gas mileage suffer a lot or stay relatively the same if not hammering on it? I have a 2hr round trip commute but think this car is such a dog in stock form and would love a little more pep, lol.

4) I read a few comments about shifting not being as smooth as stock? Will the SI with the TSP tune still shift nice for daily driving? Probably will for me since I used to buy the most aggressive motocross bikes for just trail riding, lol.

I will answer number 3 and 4. Your gas mileage will not suffer from map 3. I drive aggressively often. My gas mileage will get to about 26.9 at the very worst. On long commutes I can keep it about 35. I could even do better. As for the shifts, the car still shifts very smooth. It is slightly more rough with rev hang disabled. If you think the car is a little too jerky in stop and go traffic, just enable cruise control (to reactivate rev hang) and the car is back to stock like shifting.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag

Questions...

For number 1, you need a laptop to register your VIN with the device, and modify any parameters of your map(s). After that, you can use an Adroid device for most of the functions.

For number 3, I believe TSP advances throttle mapping and boost response. So your mileage will suffer a bit (unless you're REALLY light on the throttle). If that worries you, you always have access to the Starter Maps provided by KTuner. I used those because I wanted to retain my stock clutch and fuel economy, without changing my driving habits too much. But regardless, if buying a new KTuner device, there's no reason not to grab the TSP tune with it.

For number 4, I can't remember if TSP allows you to disable rev hang. But on my custom map, I set throttle padding to light and it's just about perfect in all driving scenarios. Very reminiscent of my MS3.

Last edited:

Emig5m

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok got my Ktuner and TSP tune today and the install was super easy, don't really need instructions IMO. Plug the Ktuner into the car and your laptop, Ktuner software promps for a firmware update followed by a factory tune backup and then flash away, turn off the power to the car for 6 or more secs, power back on and good-to-go....super easy process. I selected the slot 3 tune and went out for a drive in sport mode and seen it peg 24psi here and there but it was mostly 23.xxpsi. The Knock retard spiked a 7 degrees for a split second here and there under load but mainly stayed at 0, is this normal getting a short 7 degree spike? Knock Control never went over 0.58. I'm a noob, tell me what I need to look out for or keep and eye on....

OH BTW, don't know what people are talking about with the shifting, seems the same to me. Lastly, I was under the impression that erasing and reflashing your ECU your all time average MPG would reset back to zero but mine still says 39.0MPG just like before the flash...

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The shifting issue comes under partial throttle and causes the revs to drop too fast, when rev hang is disabled. Setting the throttle padding to medium or light allows the revs to drop more gradually.

MONK13

First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CIVIC Si
Country flag
Ok got my Ktuner and TSP tune today and the install was super easy, don't really need instructions IMO. Plug the Ktuner into the car and your laptop, Ktuner software promps for a firmware update followed by a factory tune backup and then flash away, turn off the power to the car for 6 or more secs, power back on and good-to-go....super easy process. I selected the slot 3 tune and went out for a drive in sport mode and seen it peg 24psi here and there but it was mostly 23.xxpsi. The Knock retard spiked a 7 degrees for a split second here and there under load but mainly stayed at 0, is this normal getting a short 7 degree spike? Knock Control never went over 0.58. I'm a noob, tell me what I need to look out for or keep and eye on....

OH BTW, don't know what people are talking about with the shifting, seems the same to me. Lastly, I was under the impression that erasing and reflashing your ECU your all time average MPG would reset back to zero but mine still says 39.0MPG just like before the flash...
Wish it turned out as easy for me, took an hour to connect so it would register and lock, then another to flash the ECU & Load Slots 1, 2, 3. Currently Unable to load slots 4 & 5. They will upload but not stay. Tried all the possible permutations over and over, I blame the owner, he makes things so difficult. FInally just flashed the ECU straight with the TSP Stage 1 after failing to load it into Slot 5 just so I could see what it was like...WOOT!!! Waiting to see if I switch to on the fly Slot 1 if the Stage 1 will show up on Slot 5 or just get overwritten....

$%$#!

Update: everything loaded and working, testing this week. Turns out i had to disconnect Ktuner to load tunes in the slots then install back into Si to load tunes into ECU.

Last edited:

Emig5m

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The shifting issue comes under partial throttle and causes the revs to drop too fast, when rev hang is disabled. Setting the throttle padding to medium or light allows the revs to drop more gradually.
Hmm... I really can't tell any difference with the shifting to be honest with you and my commute today was 2hrs. Maybe that's because my very first vehicle was a manual 87 F150 that was really rugged compared to modern cars? And the tune definitely doesn't hurt your gas mileage when driving normal:

Honda Civic 10th gen TSP Stage 1 Tune for the 2017+ Civic Si (Cobra Race Support Included!) YFq5p1X

Love the tune....I like how cruising highway speed in 6th it will pick right and go without having to downshift! I was really worried about fuel mileage though....anyone worried, you'll still have some of the best fuel economy out there when driving normally... and this is how the SI should of ran out of the box! Now I gotta think about what I want to do next....I'm thinking window tint might be next...happy with the tuner and tune, it's a keeper!

BPF129

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So after reading through all of this...I'm still wishy washy with one concept. People keep refering to watching out for the clutch...is that something that if you drive moderately conservative with some playful times, like the clutch is going to need relacing after 30k? If I were just adding the tsp stage 1 and the prl cobra...am I really in a position to worry about the clutch if I don't beat on the car?

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just don't get on it in 5th and 6th and you should be okay

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
So after reading through all of this...I'm still wishy washy with one concept. People keep refering to watching out for the clutch...is that something that if you drive moderately conservative with some playful times, like the clutch is going to need relacing after 30k? If I were just adding the tsp stage 1 and the prl cobra...am I really in a position to worry about the clutch if I don't beat on the car?
I think people are having clutch issues despite the tune. However, if you are modding your car with a tune, you will most likely have to change your clutch before 50k. Maybe it will last longer but I honestly doubt it. I went in knowing that sooner than later I would need to replace the clutch.

Emig5m

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yup, got clutch slip today. Just as a test I punched it in 6th and the clutch slipped... Seems like punching it anything under 4000rpm in taller gears is where it shows its weakness. Now I gotta research aftermarket clutches....ugh...

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just read all 32 pages of this thread. Excellent posts and info btw.

All I wanted to know is how does that extra 28whp translates to on the dragstrip. 60ft time, 1/8 mile time and trap speed and 1/4 mile time and trap speed. Ktuner Stage 2 (maxxed out Quick Adjustments) vs a TSP Stage 1 tune (Lvl 3 or it's most aggressive tune). Just looking for the differences in before and after on the dragstrip. There is another thread about this but it seems the guy was having some problems with his tune.

Anyone?

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With a TSP Stage 1 tune, you still are able to change Boost by Gear in the Quick Boost By Gear section. So if you want to go all out for power, do you choose max boost by gear in all gears (21psi for instance if that is the highest on your pulldown list) or leave them all at 'Custom Boost Level)?
Sponsored