First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey everyone, I've always driven automatic cars and I want to trade in my 2018 sport for an SI. How should I go about learning to drive stick because I don't want to damage the new car learning. Don't really want to shell out a couple hundred dollars at a driving school for a couple of hours, I thought about using turo app as there is a Camry for $60 a day to rent that I could learn on. Just wanted to see what you all suggest I do. Buying a manual car just to learn is out of question and all my family members and close friends drive automatic. Should I make a post on craigslist offering up some cash for someone to teach me in their car? Thanks!
Sponsored

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Hey everyone, I've always driven automatic cars and I want to trade in my 2018 sport for an SI. How should I go about learning to drive stick because I don't want to damage the new car learning. Don't really want to shell out a couple hundred dollars at a driving school for a couple of hours, I thought about using turo app as there is a Camry for $60 a day to rent that I could learn on. Just wanted to see what you all suggest I do. Buying a manual car just to learn is out of question and all my family members and close friends drive automatic. Should I make a post on craigslist offering up some cash for someone to teach me in their car? Thanks!
Hello! I am 23 I recently this past year learned manual. I was lucky enough to have a friend who had a manual and practiced on their car. Fast forward of 2 months not driving I decided to test drive an SI. I stalled it 2xs on the test drive. They were supper nice. It is nice to have someone telling you what your doing wrong. Maybe you can ask around and find someone who teach you and you pay for the gas or something. But with COVID-19 I don't know how many people would be willing to do that. You may have to wait a bit. Good luck definitely watch YouTube videos they help.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just buy the damn thing and learn on it. You won’t wreck it.
There are decent tutorials and instructions online to help you.
I learned stick on my Dad’s old VW Beetle back when I was 12 in 1977 and both my brother and I learned to row gears on that car. Had it for another 8 more years after that.

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I learned stick on my Dad’s old VW Beetle back when I was 12 in 1977 and both my brother and I learned to row gears on that car. Had it for another 8 more years after that.
I would agree that he won't wreck it. But IMO i think you should be able to drive it, to know if you like the car or not. But if your whole heart is set on the SI... No better time to learn with no one on the roads. I taught my girlfriend how to drive manual this past week it took her about 3 hours to learn how to drive it. It takes months/ years to make it smooth and efficient. So I guess it's up to you

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
I purchased my first manual car - a brand new 2001 Audi A4 1.8tq - without ever having pressed a clutch pedal in my life. Upon completing the deal, my wife (who - fortunately - knew how to drive stick) shuttled me to a big, empty parking lot nearby, where I proceeded to start/lurch/stall for a few minutes. Then I drove home uneventfully. Once you get a feel for it, you'll realize it isn't that hard. Shifting smoothly may take some time to figure out, but simply getting from point A to point B is pretty easy.

Of course, if you can find a car to practice on, that would be great. But if you can't:

...this is true. As long as you have a solid understanding of the process - which can be gleaned from YouTube - you'll be able to drive home. Keep some simple rules in mind, like pressing the clutch all the way in when changing gears (not a quarter, not halfway - all the way to the floor). Don't let off the clutch at all until you've fully moved the shifter into the next gear. This will help make sure you won't destroy your transmission. The worst thing likely to happen is that you'll probably stall a few times. If possible, stay away from steep hills, and out of heavy bumper-to-bumper traffic, until you become comfortable. Which shouldn't take more than a day or two.

Also, imo, the Civic is one of the easiest manual transmission cars to drive. The clutch is very light, and the shifts are direct. When you move the shifter, there's no question as to whether or not it's in gear. I can't think of an easier car to learn on. In comparison, the trans in some cars feels like a stick jammed into a bowl of jello.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Second this approach... I did the same thing with my Type R. I literally stalled so many times but eventually it clicked. 2 years in and no signs of any sort of damage either.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When purchasing a manual car years ago I had this discussion with the salesman. I was not going in blind, already knew what I was doing thankfully. However he told me that more than once he had taken a customer to a large parking lot nearby and taught them himself. As slow as car sales are right now, it may be even easier to find a dealer willing to help like that.

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I would recommend finding a friend who drives a manual transmission car to teach you. It is a gradual process, and you will want to learn in a big empty parking lot or industrial parkway where you can comfortably learn. Part of the training will involve how to navigate over speed bumps, and moving up a hill from an idle position. Plus, your friend will give you lots of good tips on what not do in a manual transmission car.

Once you get your car, you’ll be learning your car’s clutch point, and be confident driving.

Hajidub

Honda driver, vintage stereo enthusiast
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic YES
Country flag
With brake hold and their light clutch peddle, the new civics are the easiest manual to learn on.

si_well

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
These cars have such a light clutch and require such little throttle that they are perfect for learning how to drive a manual on. They basically drive themselves lol.

If you’re really nervous about it though, go and test drive a one and feel it out. I know it can definitely be nerve wracking driving off the lot in a manual and not being confident driving it, but it will definitely force you to get comfortable with operating a manual real quick.

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
I don't know about the Si, but on my CTR the car will not stall even without giving it gas, unless I'm holding the brakes when releasing the clutch. The car automatically gives it enough gas to get moving. Between that and the brake hold, it's the easiest manual I've ever driven.

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Just don’t give up.

if you can, drive with a friend or family member that has a manual, and pay attention to their movements. Should get an idea of what to do/when to do it. From there, it’s all practice. Really not that difficult.

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
go test drive a manual you dont want first IE a base civic with a stick, see how it goes and if you like it and can figure it out then go get the SI. go to a bunch of different dealers if you need more practice before making your decision. or like others have said find a friend or co-worker who has one.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
You spend more than $20K on a car and you can't spend fews hundred of a car course ! Come on.
It is a good invest.

I alway had MT cars, they are more fun and powerful than automatic...if you don"t have to drive in traffic
Sponsored