Trunk opens spontaneously / alarm sounds

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine has popped a couple of times on it's own and the mega beeping happens almost every time I have 2 doors in use at roughly the same time when exiting (i.e. shut off the car, open my door, hit the trunk release, get out and close my door, get half way to the trunk and beep beep beep beep beep beep beep, swear at car, manually lock after closing trunk).
Sponsored

velredrx8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic touring, 2004 rx8, 2012 honda civic, 2005 toyota tacoma
Country flag
I had the same problem several times, it turns out that the problem is the body control module, the dealer changed it and the problem is gone. Make sure you bring both key fobs because they have to reprogram them with the new body control module.

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Modern Steel SI sedan
Country flag
Also adding my name to this list. Happened twice. Haven't thought anything about it until seeing this thread

rbrierty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
We had detached the wiring to the trunk release, and had to open the trunk manually when needed. Got tired of the trunk popping open and the dealership pretending to be clueless about the problem. I bet Honda knows about this problem but not willing to admit it and pay the ton of money to replace the body control modules at their cost.
Luckily, bought a new car to replace the Civic, and when I re-attached the wiring to the trunk release, it did not pop open again.

Brimd26

First Name
Brianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe 2017
Country flag
Here to comment the same thing-- but slightly different

I drive a 2017 civic and have had no issues with it at all until this point. I had low tire pressure while driving and stopped by the dealership to get the tires filled. They said they reset my sensors and then I went on my way. The following day my trunk opened randomly while getting in my car. That night I heard a car alarm go off but didn't think anything of it. The following day I heard my car alarm go off two more times. Now my trunk opens up randomly while parked and keys are sitting on a table.

Going to go throw some hands at the dealership and ask what they did to the car. I live in a apartment complex and park my car all day on a college campus. Too many poor college students that could easily rip me off.

Anyone know what could the issue be? Possible fixes?

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Here to comment the same thing-- but slightly different

I drive a 2017 civic and have had no issues with it at all until this point. I had low tire pressure while driving and stopped by the dealership to get the tires filled. They said they reset my sensors and then I went on my way. The following day my trunk opened randomly while getting in my car. That night I heard a car alarm go off but didn't think anything of it. The following day I heard my car alarm go off two more times. Now my trunk opens up randomly while parked and keys are sitting on a table.

Going to go throw some hands at the dealership and ask what they did to the car. I live in a apartment complex and park my car all day on a college campus. Too many poor college students that could easily rip me off.

Anyone know what could the issue be? Possible fixes?
What is indicated on your receipt? Any software updates? Other than that; did they check the pressure in the spare? If so; they may upset The Force with the electronic thingy (technical term) in the trunk.

:rolleyes1:

Brimd26

First Name
Brianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe 2017
Country flag
What is indicated on your receipt? Any software updates? Other than that; did they check the pressure in the spare? If so; they may upset The Force with the electronic thingy (technical term) in the trunk.

:rolleyes1:
Wasn't even given a receipt. I walked in and left less than 5 minutes later. Then just told me that all my tires were down by 6 pounds, and that they had reset my sensors. I'm pretty sure they didn't touch my spare. I set up an appt. for Wednesday-- we shall see..
:doh:

Brimd26

First Name
Brianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe 2017
Country flag
Just wanted to give an update on what was diagnosed with my car...
Turns out a sticky substance was found in the button on the side door (Probably from the previous owner) that was causing the button to be stuck down. Hence why my trunk would open when the car was locked and set off the alarm. They charged me $170 to take apart my door and clean the button :bs: they also found some of the similar substance in the speaker as well.
So if you guys are having that issue-maybe look into that.. :rolleyes1:

Kris1299

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
Country flag
I have a 2018 Honda Civic. I am having a problem with the trunk opening spontaneously. When I leave the car, using the key fob to lock the doors and set the alarm, I then check the trunk lid by actually tugging on it to make sure it's shut and it's shut. Only to come back to my car to find the trunk lid is open approximately 2-3", the same if I had used the key fob. At first I thought it was me hitting the trunk open button on the key fob. This is becoming a regular occurrence. I am extremely cautious as to how I am handling the key fob when walking away from the car.

I do not have this problem when the car is not locked or the alarm is not set (i.e. when in my garage).

Any suggestions out there?

Claude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX
Country flag
Any suggestions out there?
I have that problem too with my 2016 Civic. I have gotten into the habit of putting my key fob in a metal box to make sure none of the buttons get pressed. It's annoying but it seems to work, as the truck has not spontaneously opened in over a year. Also, I used to have to park near an airport and I wonder if some kind of signal might've been responsible (I don't have to go in that area anymore).

MikeWCivicLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have that problem too with my 2016 Civic. I have gotten into the habit of putting my key fob in a metal box to make sure none of the buttons get pressed. It's annoying but it seems to work, as the truck has not spontaneously opened in over a year. Also, I used to have to park near an airport and I wonder if some kind of signal might've been responsible (I don't have to go in that area anymore).
I finally just stopped carrying the keys with me when I'm not driving and all the phantom trunk openings, windows rolling down and panic alarm going off stopped. It's really a shame they couldn't have just made the system less sensitive or designed the key fob in such a way that it was harder to accidentally pres the buttons.

Claude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX
Country flag
Agreed. I'm also not crazy about the trunk release button in the door. Too easy to press while putting stuff in the door pocket.

Kris1299

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
Country flag
Approximately one month ago I switched out the key fobs. So far so good, I'm hoping that fixes the problem.....fingers crossed! :)