Trunk opens spontaneously / alarm sounds

astrosteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The new Body Control Module fixed the trunk popping open issue, and so far the walk away lock the car option has worked every time, a couple of improvements! So if anyone else is having those issues, that may be the problem for you too.
Sponsored

MikeWCivicLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had some similar experiences. Two times I've walked outside in the morning to find my trunk open. Also at least once I've heard the alarm go off from my living room. In all cases I assumed that the button on the fob got mashed up against something else, but now I'm beginning to wonder. At the very least I'm wondering if there's a way to make the signal form the key fob weaker so it won't work unless you get very close to the car,

KL717

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
I have had my 2016 Honda Civic LX (basic model) for 5 days, and the trunk has opened on me 3 or 4 times, without me knowingly pressing the button on the key fob. I've been thinking it's me - the fob is a different design than my 2013 Civic fob, and the way I grab my keys, I thought I was accidentally pressing the trunk button. After reading this, though, maybe not! Just today, I was in a parking lot, preparing to back out of a parking space, and the rear camera seemed "off" - I looked out the back window, and my trunk is open!! Other times it's been in the driveway, and my husband noticed the trunk was open...it has happened enough to be an annoyance, and I thought it was me.

I'll keep a close eye on my hands when I grab the keys, and be sure I don't inadvertently press the trunk button, and see

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
I've had this happen to me once as I was just rolling out of the parking lot from work. I just stopped and closed the trunk.

I haven't seen it recurring so I didn't bother anymore.

If it happens often, you might want to take it to the dealership.

KL717

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
I've had this happen to me once as I was just rolling out of the parking lot from work. I just stopped and closed the trunk.

I haven't seen it recurring so I didn't bother anymore.

If it happens often, you might want to take it to the dealership.

KL717

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
I am taking it to the dealership on Thursday. I don't have high hopes of it being resolved. I'll report back what they say. I'm glad this is an actual thing that people other than me are experiencing. The dealership has not heard of it ...yet.

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
I am taking it to the dealership on Thursday. I don't have high hopes of it being resolved. I'll report back what they say. I'm glad this is an actual thing that people other than me are experiencing. The dealership has not heard of it ...yet.
It just happened to me once. I figured I might have inadvertently activated the trunk release from my key fob which was inside my pocket.
Kinda like butt dialing your iPhone...

Yeah you may wanna get it checked out if it is a recurring phenomenon..

I haven't had any issues with my Touring since I took delivery in Jan (yeah I am one of those early adopters :) ). The only thing recurring was my TPMS coming on which I figured out after a couple of times and learnt to inflate 4 psi over to account for expansion. That is about the only issue I've had and pretty much the vehicle has been with no issues.

MrBudha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
This has happened to me twice as well. I assumed i accidentally pressed the button on the keys. Will keep an eye out on it now.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Omg.. I thought I was going nuts.. my civic ext did it also. Popped truck and my fob is hanging no way it could be touched.. lol Can you say Recall ?????

KL717

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
I'm really so glad that people are starting to write about their experience with this. I figured out it wasn't accidental fob pushing, which i never thought but had to consider, and now the challenge will be convincing others who could help. Going to the dealership tomorrow and I will give them the link to this. I don't know how to report to Honda, does anyone?

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It seems like a safety recall. What if the truck pops and water gets in or things are stolen from the trunk. It's almost like if the car is sensing the key in the trunk and opens for no reason

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
It seems like a safety recall. What if the truck pops and water gets in or things are stolen from the trunk. It's almost like if the car is sensing the key in the trunk and opens for no reason
Safety Recalls are for issues where the car fails to comply with the FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards). Those have to do with occupant and pedestrian safety, not stuff in the trunk getting wet or stolen. Of course, if the trunk pops open underway, that's probably going to be a noncompliance somehow.

KL717

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
dealership was not able to reproduce or see anything, as I suspected. BUT, They do report each time to Honda. They told me I was the 4th person to come to their dealership with the same problem. They more people that report when it happens the quicker a solution will be made

Abramumum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 civic sedan LX CVT
Good it's not just me. Ive come out of my house twice, to an open trunk. But only ever at home. No alarm sound, and it was armed. I figure there's a device close by that trips it. Luckily, i live in a good neighbourhood, and the most expensive item i keep in there is my fishing rod...
Sponsored