Truck lost its load next to me - what would you do?

1. OP
    OP
    Driveitlikeuboughtit

Driveitlikeuboughtit Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 CW CTR
    Another update - my insurance company was able to get in contact with the truck driver and she acknowledged it all. She gave her insurance info and now I potentially don't have to pay a deductible.

Nanook, Mcclaughry95 and fatherpain thanked this.
  2. CTRFK8

CTRFK8 Senior Member

First Name:
    Sauce
    Car(s):
    2018 CTR
    #17 CTRFK8, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    So it WAS her fault thats why you wouldnt need to pay a deductible. Make sure you get a rental and all parts fix/repainted. All that coming out of her insurance company. It was her fault theu didnt strap whatever it was on correctly. It busted open and could of done serious harm.

Can I neglect tying down a couch correctly, driving in and out of traffic going 80mph? Couch flies out n does some serious damage. Someone sure as heck is at fault here.

The comment about "like hail". If your insurance company told you that at first and now somehow saying other party was at fault, somethings off.

In a accident, always stay calm, exchange insurance information. If minor, see if both party can agree on repair without reporting it to insureamce company.

3. JayDiem

JayDiem Senior Member

First Name:
    Tyler
    Car(s):
    2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
  4. OP
    OP
    Driveitlikeuboughtit

Driveitlikeuboughtit Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 CW CTR
    In theory, she is at fault.

However, as my insurance explained to me, if she just denies it ever happened it would be hard to prove that it did in fact happen and prove her liability in court. It becomes he said she said and at that point, it's like hail in that it will get fixed and I'm not at fault.

5. SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS Senior Member

First Name:
    Geoff
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
    #20 SCOPESYS, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    That's when a Dash Cam starts to really pay for itself !!!

But it is amazing to see these days, someone actually taking responsibility for their mistakes, so while she messed up, I do respect her for being honest and admitting that it was her fault. :thumbsup:

6. tinyman392

tinyman392 Senior Member

First Name:
    Marcus
    Car(s):
    '18 Civic Type R (RR)
    Did you get a picture of the fridge and the unsecured load on the truck? Possibly her putting the fridge back onto the truck (if she did that)?

Edit: awesome to see she is being honest about the damage :D Awesome to hear.

7. CTRFK8

CTRFK8 Senior Member

First Name:
    Sauce
    Car(s):
    2018 CTR
    You would think when something like that happens name, insurance, and pictures taken right at the scene. You would have more evidence of what happened. Glad she admit to what happened but if she didn't and denies the incident. You can speak to a lawyer, counter sue for the time, stress, money spent on the matter.

8. Robotaz

Robotaz Senior Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Car(s):
    2019 Type R
    Find yourself a good paintless dent repair shop and it’ll set you free. I always worried about dings, until my wife’s brand new car got $3500 in hail damage. They not only got every single dent out, but also got out a couple I noticed from the factory/dealer. My shop will perfectly remove dings for $50. I just don’t worry about it anymore. It’s liberating to say the least.

JayDiem thanked this.
  9. Zatannaz

Zatannaz Senior Member

First Name:
    Robby
    Car(s):
    Civic Touring Rallye Red
    She should pay for it of course. Why would you have any money come out of your pocket? That’s her responsibility.

10. Zatannaz

Zatannaz Senior Member

First Name:
    Robby
    Car(s):
    Civic Touring Rallye Red

11. CTRFK8

CTRFK8 Senior Member

First Name:
    Sauce
    Car(s):
    2018 CTR
    Your insurance will speak to her insurance company, nothing will come out of your pocket. A adjustor will come out and check out your car, they might recommend a bodyshop or YOU can try to look for one yourself.

The bodyshop will fix and repaint the WHOLE door/fender and any area that needs repair even if its a small dent or 1 1/2inch scrap, they will repaint the WHOLE area/panel and not just the damage part. if damage is only to the clear coat, it just needs a buff but if damage goes through the paint/primer, they'll repaint the whole(hood, fender, bumper, ect).

from what I know...….hehe

12. Donkeyhotay123

Donkeyhotay123 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 Civic Hatch
    Time to get a dash cam. I got one after an infuriating time with insurance.

They said the dash cam is only good for catching yourself committing traffic violations. Imho its good for recording myself car-karaoke and other drivers doing dumb stuff.

JayDiem thanked this.
  13. Cornercarver

Cornercarver Senior Member

First Name:
    Paul
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic SI, 2002 Lexus SC430
    Do follow up. You have damage, and both you and her are fortunate that someone wasn't injured or killed.
    She may not have loaded it, but if she does not know any better than to speed and swerve with a load like that she
    probably should not be driving.
    You are owed whatever an approved body shop requires to restore it to new.
    And her insurance should be paying for it, so your deductible is not an issue.

Hopefully you called it in. To her insurer.

14. ez12a

ez12a Senior Member

Car(s):
    18 CW Type R
    Thankfully she's honest. But in the future, invest in a dash cam. Saves a lot of hassle in case the other party isn't as honest.

even if she denied it to her insurance...she stopped for a reason, no? I'm assuming you have pictures of her whole setup and the broken glass. But again, a dash cam would help there too.

I have SoCal AAA and never had a hassle dealing with insurance claims.