IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Recently had my transmission rebuilt on my 2018 Civic Si. Type R Retrofit clutch, Type R CMC, and I also got an HPD 4th gear thrown in.

Just finished the break in period for the clutch, but now I'm hearing a whining noise. I understand the HPD 4th gear has thicker teeth and may cause more noise but I'm not sure if this noise is coming from that gear. The sound got increasingly louder out of nowhere.

Does anyone happen to know what it might be? Sounds like some kind of bearing that went out, as the car drives and shifts perfectly fine. The noise is only present when I put my foot on the gas pedal. If I am cruising there is no noise.

Here is a link to a couple of clips of the noise I'm hearing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XKvUZGeJjF2tiwJfA
Sponsored

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Maybe a little low on trans oil or could be just the gear it self

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Maybe a little low on trans oil or could be just the gear it self
I originally had OEM Honda MTF after the rebuild, then swapped to Amsoil Syncromesh to see if it would make a difference. Not low for sure as I took out 2 quarts and put 2 quarts back in.

From the ones I have asked it is the gear itself. But sometimes upon closer hearing it sounds independent from the gear movement, which sometimes makes me think it's a bearing of some sorts.

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
I originally had OEM Honda MTF after the rebuild, then swapped to Amsoil Syncromesh to see if it would make a difference. Not low for sure as I took out 2 quarts and put 2 quarts back in.

From the ones I have asked it is the gear itself. But sometimes upon closer hearing it sounds independent from the gear movement, which sometimes makes me think it's a bearing of some sorts.
Pretty sure it's the gear you added in like you said when you give it h
Gas it happeneds the reason for that it's because your putting a load on it right ? Because if it was a bearing I'm pretty sure you would hear the noise at idle and etc

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Pretty sure it's the gear you added in like you said when you give it h
Gas it happeneds the reason for that it's because your putting a load on it right ? Because if it was a bearing I'm pretty sure you would hear the noise at idle and etc
Yeah it's basically when gas is added. No noise in neutral or anything. But yes others have said that as well. I'm just asking everywhere because it's an unfamiliar noise so I want to make sure I'm okay to really push it. But I'm keeping an open ear for if the noise changes.

If you open the link I posted up there, I just added another video. It's regular driving in a neighborhood and you'll hear the progression of the whine through all the gears.

trapbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
You ever resolve this? I'm looking to buying hpd 4th

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
You ever resolve this? I'm looking to buying hpd 4th
Not yet, my car has been out of commission since last October. Motor related not transmission related though. I am finally getting the motor rebuilt and the transmission checked out at the same time. I will keep this thread updated on what the cause of the noise was.

Nickthewaffler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7, 2016 Panamera, 2000 AP1 S2000
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not yet, my car has been out of commission since last October. Motor related not transmission related though. I am finally getting the motor rebuilt and the transmission checked out at the same time. I will keep this thread updated on what the cause of the noise was.
Updates? Also, from who did your source the hpd gear from?

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey man any updates on this? I'm facing this exact same issue same exact sounds except it was due to a money shift

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Updates? Also, from who did your source the hpd gear from?
Man, I am so sorry I never replied to this. Only reason I am seeing it now is from the response earlier today.

Anyways, if it matters the whine never went away but I assumed it might have either been a chipped tooth somewhere or a spun out bearing.

The HPD gear was sourced from the one who fixed my car, Eman in Ventura.

Regardless, all of this doesn't matter anymore because since then I've upgraded to the PPG 1-4 gearset. And it is amazing.

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Hey man any updates on this? I'm facing this exact same issue same exact sounds except it was due to a money shift
Pretty much same response as above my dude! Might have chipped a tooth or spun out one of the internal bearings.

extrq__

First Name
Guillaume
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HONDA Civic X 1.5T Sport Plus 2019
Country flag
Hi! I am French, I encounter the same problem on my Civic FK7 1.5T. I only have this same noise when I touch the accelerator pedal, even if I press very little. Nothing on deceleration, nothing on neutral.
Sponsored