Transmission leak from inside bell housing

jdmbaganha

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #2118
Hey guys. New to the forum so this is my first post. Has anyone else dealt with a transmission leak on their Fk8 Type R? Car is a 2017, #2118.

Hit 4000 miles in my fk8 and the maintenance minder popped up. Changed the oil today and noticed a tranny fluid leak at the base of the tranny at the inspection plate. Removed the inspection plate and it's definitely coming from inside the bell housing. Everything else is dry. It's not engine oil because the oil was at the top of the mark on the dip stick. I have noticed the shifts becoming notchy and not as smooth. I didn't check the tranny fluid level. I am a mechanic by trade but it's obviously under warranty so I'm not touching it. Any feedback with people that have dealt with something similar would be great.
Sponsored

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
Country flag
I think one or 2 others guys had this issue.. guy said it was a casting issue with the trans case an got new transmission. If you search u should find it under one of the many transmission threads

OP
OP
jdmbaganha

jdmbaganha

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think one or 2 others guys had this issue.. guy said it was a casting issue with the trans case an got new transmission. If you search u should find it under one of the many transmission threads
Looked for the post you were talking about and I think I found it. I Pm'ed the guy in that post. Thanks for looking out. I'll keep the post updated as I go about this problem.

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Glad u found it

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very interesting. I would have guessed rear main seal, but it seems transmission fluid leaking has been documented.

OP
OP
jdmbaganha

jdmbaganha

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Went to dealership and they said it's definitely trans fluid leak. I have to go to another dealer because they didn't have anyone certified in the type r.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Went to dealership and they said it's definitely trans fluid leak. I have to go to another dealer because they didn't have anyone certified in the type r.
oh my God, lol...the Type R isn't that complex...wow.

So I had a leak at the axle (driver side where it meets the tranny). They replaced the seal. I had done some searching before hand and saw not just CTRs, but other civics/Hondas had issues with certain seals that were used causing leaks.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
oh and my dealership didn't mind that I was lowered, on aftermarket rims, and had an exhaust. Which they shouldn't but you know how dealers can be at times. all covered under warranty

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Porsche GT4, 20 Civic Si, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
Country flag
oh my God, lol...the Type R isn't that complex...wow.

So I had a leak at the axle (driver side where it meets the tranny). They replaced the seal. I had done some searching before hand and saw not just CTRs, but other civics/Hondas had issues with certain seals that were used causing leaks.

My 18 SI had to have the half shaft axle bearing replaced after it lost its grease, 4500 miles.

OP
OP
jdmbaganha

jdmbaganha

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Went to the dealer with certified techs, trans will be coming out when I bring it in during the week. Kinda nervous but the tech working on it is a car guy and he assured me I'm in good hands lol great time to throw a upgraded clutch in it :cool:. I'll keep the thread posted, maybe with some pictures of when the trannys out.

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Porsche GT4, 20 Civic Si, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
Country flag
Went to the dealer with certified techs, trans will be coming out when I bring it in during the week. Kinda nervous but the tech working on it is a car guy and he assured me I'm in good hands lol great time to throw a upgraded clutch in it :cool:. I'll keep the thread posted, maybe with some pictures of when the trannys out.
Did they think they will replace case or a new transmission?

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Good luck and remember to track down the broken parts and us posted... :drive:

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
He going to get a new trans... Honda’s not going to bother taking trans out and swapping everything from the trans into a new trans case... it’s not done like that anymore way to many hours for labor an to many things can go wrong with putting it back together. I would be surprised if Honda swapped parts into a new case

OP
OP
jdmbaganha

jdmbaganha

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did they think they will replace case or a new transmission?
He said in the past they've replaced just cases for other manual transmission vehicles but there's lots of labor involved. I told him I wanted a new transmission if the tranny case is bad so we'll see.
Sponsored