Tracking a CVT?

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
My car has been to 4 track days, and 6 autocross events. So far I haven't really had too many issues. The CVT works fine on track as long as you have the paddle shifters. I did manage to break an engine mount but Honda warrantied that. I have managed to send my CVT into limp mode on track, but that was only after about 20-25 minutes of constant abuse on track. Longer than I normally do. I should also mention I'm running a tune on my car as well.
Sponsored

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
I'd try to find a used Acura ILX with a DCT instead imo
They will want too much for those. Might as well get an LX Civic X from that.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
My car has been to 4 track days, and 6 autocross events. So far I haven't really had too many issues. The CVT works fine on track as long as you have the paddle shifters. I did manage to break an engine mount but Honda warrantied that. I have managed to send my CVT into limp mode on track, but that was only after about 20-25 minutes of constant abuse on track. Longer than I normally do. I should also mention I'm running a tune on my car as well.
Why use paddle shifters? why not just keep it in L?

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why use paddle shifters? why not just keep it in L?
I don't have L, I have S. and every second counts on track. I'm not going to wait for the trans to get the car to rpm when I step on the gas, I keep the car within 2k of the redline the whole time.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From looking at google images, I don't think so lol. Learned something new. I wonder why they don't?
We have paddle shifters. Why would you want L?

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
We have paddle shifters. Why would you want L?
Because it is the fastest way for a CVT to drive? By keeping the engine at peak hp at all times and not do silly fake shifting. Also frees up the attention of the driver. I see no reason for you on the track to want anything else. Engine braking is also served well by keeping it at peak hp rpm, though torque converters aren't great at transmitting power backwards anyways.

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because it is the fastest way for a CVT to drive? By keeping the engine at peak hp at all times and not do silly fake shifting. Also frees up the attention of the driver. I see no reason for you on the track to want anything else. Engine braking is also served well by keeping it at peak hp rpm, though torque converters aren't great at transmitting power backwards anyways.
But even in sport mode when you left off the throttle it drops the rpm. So when you go back to the gas there is a delay.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm pretty sure your limited boost in L, I've done a WOT in L before and recorded only 17lbs of boost on a 23psi tune

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm pretty sure your limited boost in L, I've done a WOT in L before and recorded only 17lbs of boost on a 23psi tune
I still see full boost. No issues. And I am able to be at the ratio I need when I need to be with the paddles.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
yeah but you don't have L right just S and paddles?
For our Sport/Sport Touring, yes, there's no L mode. D and S, and the paddles.

The purpose of L mode on the other trims is to have a low gear for climbing/descending hills, and it'll stay in that low gear until you switch to 'D'. Switching to 'S' and clicking the paddle down to a lower gear ratio has the same effect.

My wife's '17 CR-V has no paddles, but it has D and L. 'L' does a good job on holding back the car's speed on long downhills.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just don't understand why your commenting on the purpose of gear ratios?? lol

CVT_Squad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 2005 Pilot 2010 Insight 1998 Civic Hatch
Country flag

Any idea on the HP/TQ your putting down?
Sponsored