Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Yes, I will be tracking a CTR and don't understand why there is no oil pressure or temp gauge included OEM. Even my 16 year old Corvette has them.

I am sure the aftermarket has come up with some solutions. Anyone installed them?

Personally I could live with just oil temps.

BTW, when the engine goes in to limp mode from overheating on the track, what triggers it? Oil temp or water temp or something else?
Sponsored

FK8RVA

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR #23289
Country flag
Yes, I will be tracking a CTR and don't understand why there is no oil pressure or temp gauge included OEM. Even my 16 year old Corvette has them.

I am sure the aftermarket has come up with some solutions. Anyone installed them?

Personally I could live with just oil temps.

BTW, when the engine goes in to limp mode from overheating on the track, what triggers it? Oil temp or water temp or something else?

I am running the Mishimoto Oil Cooler and have tracked it a few times with no problem, when you hook it up - there is an extra port on the thermal coupling that you can run one gauge from.

If your looking for both oil pressure and temp then I would try the: https://www.mishimoto.com/oil-plate...wBAiiFdgAvGt1SGc440AtH_f2x7ccJxRoCQYYQAvD_BwE

its a sandwich plate that allows you to take temp/pressure without drilling into the oil pan. As two what triggers the limp mode, no clue what temp it goes off of.

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 1995 Civic EG K24/20 EFR7163 Fortune Auto track weapon
Country flag
hi. reduced power mode (limp) is based on the ECT temperature (coolant). another option if you want to monitor oil temp is to install a oil pan drain plug with temp sensor in it (this is what I did with my EVO VIII, which, by the way, did NOT have an oil temp gauge or a oil pressure gauge (exactly just like our CTRs!). for that car I had ordered the 'JDM Sports gauge' package which included a Boost gauge (the EVO didn't even have that for US markets) and an oil temp gauge and a volts gauge. the oil temp gauge came with a replacement oil drain plug which had a oil temp sensor inside it. install was pretty easy and clean; no drilling etc.

i'm sure that our drain plugs could be fitted with a sensor (or maybe there is already a drain plug with one fitted into it out there?)

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
hi. reduced power mode (limp) is based on the ECT temperature (coolant).

i'm sure that our drain plugs could be fitted with a sensor (or maybe there is already a drain plug with one fitted into it out there?)
If coolant temp is the issue, then the best solution is likely a bigger rad isn't it? I know for the Nissan 370, the issue is oil temp and not coolant and hence the most direct response is an oil cooler. My C5Z06 Corvette has a larger than OEM rad as well as an in rad oil cooler. This helps warm up the oil faster on cold starts and cools it about 35 degrees F at the track . Water temps are not an issue.

And sorry guys, but I am I guess the new Dave B. Have been tracking Chevy and Ford V8s for years and now would like a dual purpose car instead. The CTR seems to fit the bill (even IF it is driven by the wrong wheels)

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
If coolant temp is the issue, then the best solution is likely a bigger rad isn't it?
True. However, the 10th gen Civic seems to have cooling issue as told by others here. The engine bay runs hot for what should not be the case if airflow is more than adequate.

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
True. However, the 10th gen Civic seems to have cooling issue as told by others here. The engine bay runs hot for what should not be the case if airflow is more than adequate.
So is the story that the larger rads and or oil coolers don't work and that hood vents are needed or is going to an aftermarket grill going to work on it's own assuming you haven't changed the boost.
Sponsored