OP
Mike_R19

Mike_R19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 Type R, '05 Corvette Z51, '10 128i
Country flag
How's the daily drive quality? Does it still feel precise?
Do the wheels poke or are the flush with the fender?
Btw you're right on the tire rack filters. Pull up BMW and more options pop up.
Daily driving these tires would not be fun. Very direct feel and input translation to the steering wheel but there's not really any feeling of weight savings with acceleration. But I don't mind that. There may be a slight weight savings but honestly it's not going to change your world. But again, I wouldn't daily on these 200 tread wear tires; they are only for autocross/HPDE/Time trial events. If you don't mind the howling and stiff side walls, more power to you. The wheels have very tiny poke but it can easily be remedied with a little camber. I really love how well they fit overall. The pictures don't do it justice.
Sponsored

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I'm looking at the same size combo but an all season tire like the conti DWS or pilot AS3.
When you say poke you mean passed the fender?

Daily driving these tires would not be fun. Very direct feel and input translation to the steering wheel but there's not really any feeling of weight savings with acceleration. But I don't mind that. There may be a slight weight savings but honestly it's not going to change your world. But again, I wouldn't daily on these 200 tread wear tires; they are only for autocross/HPDE/Time trial events. If you don't mind the howling and stiff side walls, more power to you. The wheels have very tiny poke but it can easily be remedied with a little camber. I really love how well they fit overall. The pictures don't do it justice.

OP
OP
Mike_R19

Mike_R19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm looking at the same size combo but an all season tire like the conti DWS or pilot AS3.
When you say poke you mean passed the fender?
Honda Civic 10th gen **Track day update**- 18x9.5 +40 Enkei TS-V | 265/35/18 RE71r 20190613_215845-

This is the best depiction of what I am talking about. I'm talking about 1mm maybe less of poke. No issues with rubbing but know that perhaps a +50 offset would be dead on with the fender. I just love how these look though.

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
They look just about flush. I really like this set up.
Thanks for sharing.

GeezR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Type R, Caterham, VW Touareg, Chevy Volt
Country flag
As noted elsewhere here, I just added this exact tire and size to low-cost 18" after market wheels by Spa Procorsa (thx Tire Rack) to use for track days. And the new combo rides more comfortably and is much quieter than the stock set up (per my dB app, not just a subjective impression). That advantage may not survive the first track day after the tires are beat up, we'll see. The current set up weighs the same as stock (62 lbs each, per bathroom scale), and is a bit shorter (80" circumference vs. 81&1/2" stock per my crude measurement.

catspaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '04 RX8
Country flag
I really like the look of these, but at that size and offset do you feel like you've had any issues with torque steer?

OP
OP
Mike_R19

Mike_R19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I really like the look of these, but at that size and offset do you feel like you've had any issues with torque steer?
That has been the biggest misconception. After 3 track days of really hard driving, I can confidently say that there is no torque steer. However, I can not disprove this for the drag strip. I don't think my car will ever be taking a trip to one anyways but from a roadcourse/autocross perspective, it's not a thing.

But then again, ask yourself, how much is that a big deal to you? Do you plan on having your car hit the optimum 1/4 time every time like a bracket racer? Are you planning on getting this car to only do straight line pulls? Because at the end of the day, "torque-steer" is a really silly reason to stop you from buying a wheel setup that is comfortable and lightweight with a little more biting surface.

mecheng32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8
Country flag
Thanks for the recommendation on these wheels Mike! I just mounted these on some ps4s and they are just lovely. The car feels much more nimble.

OP
OP
Mike_R19

Mike_R19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Awesome man! Post some pics up in the Wheels thread.

OP
OP
Mike_R19

Mike_R19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Little update: Got to really push the tires up at Palmer Motorsports Park. There is 640 ft worth of elevation changes here so the car definitely got a workout in suspension compression and rebound. First off, the RE71r's are AH-MAY-ZING. Talk about feeling like a hero when they are at operating temps. The car grips so aggressively that I managed to get away from a high horsepower STI with some raceprep goodies (roll cage, BBK, Driver Mod etc). I'll see if I can figure out how to post the videos.

On one occasion where I introduced some aggressive input into the steering going up a high grade corner, I did notice a little bit of rubbing on the outside rear tire. Very little though. After I got back to the house and did some checks, I saw that the mark was a very light grazing of rubber which I could easily rub away with water. As I said, that was after really getting after it and being a little too aggressive on my steering inputs.

I still say that this setup is bulletproof as far as fitment. A little bit of camber (maybe like half a degree) and that probably would have never occurred. Really happy with this setup though. I think I may have at least 4 more really hard track days left in this tire. but that's a result of more of a user cause and not the tires themselves. I enjoy getting the tires to their absolute limit :headbang:.

Honda Civic 10th gen **Track day update**- 18x9.5 +40 Enkei TS-V | 265/35/18 RE71r 20190816_163249

Last edited:

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Got the wheels on over the weekend. I'm loving how they look even without a drop. The poke is subtle and adds to the flare of the wider stance the R has. No rubbing so far but I haven't really pushed the car beyond what I can on the street. As usual, these tires are loud as hell but I like to think of it as the tires gripping the road like crazy lol. I'll have a better review when I get back on a track.
View attachment 157648
View attachment 157649
View attachment 157650
View attachment 157651 View attachment 157656

View attachment 157655

20190614_200457.jpg

20190614_200516.jpg

20190614_200606.jpg

20190614_200623.jpg

20190614_200729.jpg
I lm running the RSRs at et40. Dude, you need to get rock guards ASAP. The poke is enough to send rocks flying on the side of the door. In fact I’d you've been driving hard take a look.

I’ve got the low profile carbon ones. The ZL1 pieces are available too.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I lm running the RSRs at et40. Dude, you need to get rock guards ASAP. The poke is enough to send rocks flying on the side of the door. In fact I’d you've been driving hard take a look.

I’ve got the low profile carbon ones. The ZL1 pieces are available too.
My stock fitment with the stock tires were enough to get rock chips on my doors :(
Sponsored