2112ricky

First Name
ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type r
Country flag
Hi guys new to the forum, had my R for about 6 months, just recently did my first track event. I'm glad to say it will not be my last, very happy with the car it behave very well on the track (full stock). I wanted to know what are the must do things for occasionally( 1 every other month racing). I've read a lot about the cooling, the one time i drove it it wasn't an issue it was about 90 degrees and about 2 -3 heats that are about 8 minutes. Lap times are around 1:10-1:20 and basically no elevation. It is the only track (puerto rico)Not really looking for modding the car drastically but wanted to know if other things are a must for reliability like the pads, brake fluids, i know people have complained about the tires, is it worth downsizing or just get better tires on the oem wheels? Also i don't daily the car it is used maybe 2-3 times a week at much
Sponsored

TheShadow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 Type R #00561, 2012 Civic Si, 2000 Civic CX Hatchback
Country flag
You will likely wear out the stock tires quickly so whether you move to an 18 or 19 inch wheel or stay with the stock 20s I would upgrade to a better tire. The size is honestly up to your budget - I opted for 18s for a wider selection of tires, but if you don't want to buy a new set of rims I've seen people putting better tires on the stock rims and being happy.

Otherwise like you mentioned front brakes and rotors will likely be the biggest benefit - again the stock parts wear out quick and are not great for really pushing the car. Girodisc makes a nice rotor set, and I would also recommend their titanium brake shims as an added level of safety against boiling your brake fluid. If you aren't into modding the car heavily cooling shouldn't be an issue for you. That usually only crops up once you have the car tuned. I would say just do the brakes and tires, then enjoy the car - see what areas you would like to improve once you have a few sessions completed.

OP
OP
2112ricky

2112ricky

First Name
ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type r
Country flag
Thanks fir your reply that definitely looks like the start, is brake line and fluid upgrade recommended? Or a must?

TheShadow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 Type R #00561, 2012 Civic Si, 2000 Civic CX Hatchback
Country flag
Thanks fir your reply that definitely looks like the start, is brake line and fluid upgrade recommended? Or a must?
I upgraded my lines at the same time I updated my front rotors just to be safe. I think the stock lines would be fine for the short term, but as the car ages your risk of the rubber lines bulging under pressure will increase. Stainless steel lines are a good long term investment. As for the fluid, flushing out for DOT4 or 5 is easy enough and saves you the fear of boiling your fluid. If you use the titanium shims you can get by with the factory fluid for a little while (I did 2 track days on my factory fluid with the shims) but I also think brakes are an area where being over prepared is a good thing. Again though, this advice depends on how hard you are tracking the car.

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 1995 Civic EG K24/20 EFR7163 Fortune Auto track weapon
Country flag
hi there. do the free 'remove the bolt' on the front upper strut mount so that you can dial in maximum neg camber up front. don't forget to have it realigned as soon as you do that too.

razi_fk8

First Name
Razi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sonic Grey FK8 & Civic Sport FK7
Country flag
I tracked my car fully stock and the weakest points were defo the stock tyres and brake discs.

I'd recommend wheels/tyres and 2 piece discs, fluid and lines as essential mods for track.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
I tracked my car fully stock and the weakest points were defo the stock tyres and brake discs.

I'd recommend wheels/tyres and 2 piece discs, fluid and lines as essential mods for track.
How were the brake discs a weak point?

The stock tires aren't great, but the brakes are generally fine. If anything, the stock pads might not be ideal, but the discs are fine.

lawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM type r
Country flag

The stock tires aren't great, but the brakes are generally fine. If anything, the stock pads might not be ideal, but the discs are fine.
I suspect he meant pads. But then again the rotors are drilled and most people I know stay away from drilled rotors on the track..

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
I suspect he meant pads. But then again the rotors are drilled and most people I know stay away from drilled rotors on the track..
Not that drilled rotors are really needed these days because pad offgassing has greatly improved, but a lot of "track capable" street cars and race cars run drilled rotors. I suspect in the street cars it's mainly cosmetic.

Either way, the stock rotors are fine even for heavy track use. The only real reason to replace them is the unsprung weight reduction that results from replacing them with a 2 piece rotor.

Last edited:

razi_fk8

First Name
Razi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sonic Grey FK8 & Civic Sport FK7
Country flag

My discs had some deep grooves in them and a few cracks around the drills after 2 trackdays. The OEM Pads are not terrible.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
My discs had some deep grooves in them and a few cracks around the drills after 2 trackdays. The OEM Pads are not terrible.
Grooves would be the result of the pads and/or debris. Shouldn't affect the rotors' ability to function at all.

Cracking around cross drilled holes is normal, as long as the cracks don't connect, it's not a big deal.
Sponsored